Why become a member? ×

NBD - ACG Harlot SC

Frank Blank

9 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

On the subject of the preamp, that I’m slowly getting to grips with, what are the functions of the two small switches below the bridge?

They switch the coils on each pickup. Series/single/parallel. 

With regard to the tonal range from the filters. The lowpass filters in your version of the EQ01 go as high as 6.5kHz the newer version was brought down in line with the current DFM to 3.5kHz. This increases the resolution of the pot giving more control over the mids and it also reduces the overlap with the highpass filter. While both the EQ01 and DFM share the same control layout the newer restricted version of the lowpass filter does make it easier to dial in. Less being more in this case. This was done after the EQ03 where myself and John took things a bit to far. The preamp was hugely versatile but difficult to use. We only really worked that out once we went to far. Dialled it back to make the DFM which would be the EQ04. I don’t see it being developed any further. As far as I am concerned it ticks all the boxes I set out to tick. It took 4 versions over 9 years a fair bit of cash a few mistakes and me being the blight of John existence. Full credit to John East for putting up with me and his brilliant design work to get me to where I am and wanted to be  

Regarding using it. 

I only use about 20% of what the preamp can do. That produces what I like so it is what I use. However the other 80% has to be there because it may well produce the 20% you like. Don’t see anyway round that. If you want a versatile bass, and that has always been my goal, then there will be a degree of complexity and redundancy in the system. Bottom line use what you like ignore the rest. 

I look on it as a bass with two tone controls one for each pickup. I setup what I like on each pickup and use the blend. The blend is your friend. Because of the independent EQ it is way more powerful than in a 3 band EQ. All you have there is the difference between the pickups and their placement. With the filters the two pickups can have radically different sounds making the blend much more important. Live the blend makes changes easy. However once you have spent time with the preamp and I am the first to admit it has a learning curve changing on the fly is certainly possible I know many players who are totally comfortable with it live. Equally there are people that just don’t get them or get on with them which is why the East Uni-Pre is always available in all my builds except for the Uber Series. 

The other thing to point out is that the filters give you an option you don’t have. You have at least a 3 band cut and boost EQ in your amp Filters give you sounds you can’t get with a 3 band. Conversely a 3 band is better at some things than the filters. You have the option of best of both. 

And finally for those that wish to know. Flat in a filter preamp is not entirely possible because the filters are  engaged all the time.So the control setting for flat are not all in the middle as would be the norm.  However you can get close with the following. Both lowpass filters fully open, upper ring fully of. Upper ring on the highpass fully of. With the active/passive that is available with the DFM A/B the above with the passive and tone fully up there is not a lot of difference. So should you want to try flat that is as close as you can get. 

Edited by skelf
  • Like 2

@GreeneKing & @skelf many, many thanks for such detailed info. I had already begun to home in on the blend is you friend approach, finding different settings for each pickup and using the blend on the fly. Usually even basic tone controls on other basses bore and frustrate me quite quickly but there is something about having filters that I’m finding really engaging. With my Rob Allen I only have a volume pot on the bass so I use the Stomp to alter tones for different songs but yesterday and Thursday whilst recording (and filming) some songs I opted to plug the ACG straight into the QSC in order to make me work at the controls on the bass itself. As per the PDF from @skelf’s site I had the neck pickup set deep and bassy and the bridge pickup brighter and I found blending between gave me the tones I needed for the four songs we did using the fretted bass. Looking forward to more tweaking today with this excellent wealth of new info, cheers.

Edited by Frank Blank

2 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

Make sure the LPF top knob isn't pulled up (can be a mid boost control, usually low mid on neck pup and high mid on bridge) and that the upper, resonant peak knob is in it's mid, no cut and no boost position. 

Now for the basic tone. Turn the selected pup LPF fully anti clockwise. Then while playing gradually rotate the LPF, introducing greater higher frequencies until you get the base tone you want from the neck pup. Blend fully to the other pup and repeat. You can now use the blend control to move between pups to blend the two tones to suit.

Depending on your setup, the resonant peak cut/boost on each LPF can be used to trim that turn down part of the LPF cut off curve up or down.

While agree with everything you said the resonant peak knob is boost only on the EQ-01 as far as I remember.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

While agree with everything you said the resonant peak knob is boost only on the EQ-01 as far as I remember.

Yes, from memory, it is boost only. The centre detent confused me. I had this realisation an hour ago when I was going through all I’d said on my Salace. I think all resonant peaks on all models are boost only so to remove don’t go to centre but fully anti clockwise. Cheers Luke!

Edited by GreeneKing

On 30/11/2019 at 10:47, skelf said:

They switch the coils on each pickup. Series/single/parallel. 

I'd like my "real" Wal to have that!  There are some sounds you can only get with single coils :¬)

On 30/11/2019 at 10:47, skelf said:

Flat in a filter preamp is not entirely possible because the filters are  engaged all the time

Depends how you design the filter doesn't it?  You can set an upper frequency that is anywhere up to the bandwidth of the op-amp in the filter circuit (1MHz if you wish)!

Harder on a truly passive bass, in which the inductive impedance of the pickups is always loaded by the low pass filter control resistor and capacitor (and the input impedance of the amp) !   

On 20/11/2019 at 19:41, TheGreek said:

Quick plug...Set up and low action is courtesy of my local luthier, Terry Chapman, who can be relied upon to do a great job on whatever he touches...if you need anything done, get in touch.

+1 he's worked wonders on some of the tat I've bought off ebay over the years... And I've trusted him to work on nice basses too! 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2019 at 02:41, Mastodon2 said:

I remember my brother owning this bass, probably 8 or 9 years ago now if I remember correctly.

I remember it being fantastically made and sounding amazing. I think it's by far the most beautiful bass that ACG has ever made. I don't think Chris owned it for all that long, he was buying and flipping loads of basses at that time. He'd get an awesome bass and two or three months later it would be gone and replaced by something else cool.

is your brother @Chris2112?

Right, I think I’ve pieced together at least part of this ACG Harlot’s family tree so to speak. If anyone can help fill in the gap...

@GreeneKing

@Chris2112

@dudi8

Here is where I think I’m missing owners until...

@Ashwood1985

@ziggydolphinboy

@TheGreek

Btw I think I’ve solved the ergonomic problem I had with this bass by using a strap even when I sit down, worn a little high it’s really comfortable. I’m still gobsmacked by it half the time I spend with it I’m just looking at how beautiful it is!

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

Well, I wasn’t sure this bass was staying, mostly due to the ergonomics of it when playing seated, however, having purchased a Kliq Aircell strap and having it set short, so quite high, it’s become really comfortable. Today sealed the deal, I sat down and vowed not to get up again until I had a good fundamental tone that I could then alter, song by song, with the Stomp. Surprisingly I found a good tone reasonably fast at which point I started to play some funk on it, blimey, it sounds so good! Now I’ve finally got used to the fact that it is the most beautiful bass I’ve ever seen I am now realising it is also quite the most beautiful sounding bass I’ve ever heard. I think it’s a keeper...

• Like 5

Just now, dudi8 said:

Haven’t been here for a while!

yeah this was my bass for couple of months from june 2012

it was a great bass as I remember, a bit heavy but with great personality, and one of the first custom level basses I’ve had

enjoy!

Hello! Do you remember who was next after you to own it?

15 hours ago, Ashwood1985 said:

ive got an Harlot 5 now which is lovely but that harlot right there is so light and playable its inbelievable!

Comments like this make me wonder what other people’s basses must weigh. Whilst I didn’t think it was too heavy, I certainly didn’t find it light. It was quite a bit heavier than the Seis I had at the time - even the headed 5 - and which I had with me at Moffatt. I do have chronic back problems, but still. 

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Comments like this make me wonder what other people’s basses must weigh. Whilst I didn’t think it was too heavy, I certainly didn’t find it light. It was quite a bit heavier than the Seis I had at the time - even the headed 5 - and which I had with me at Moffatt. I do have chronic back problems, but still. 

It’s lighter than my Godin but heavier than other basses I’ve had. I think (for me) some of the weight is offset by the ergonomics of the bass somehow.