Why become a member? ×

NBD - ACG Harlot SC

Frank Blank

As mentioned in another thread it isn't always the weight that has the most impact on the playability of an instrument. This is so well balanced that I didn't find the weight an issue. It is certainly easier to play than most of my current basses - my Spector Jazz feels much heavier and that weighs in at about 9lbs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

It’s lighter than my Godin but heavier than other basses I’ve had. I think (for me) some of the weight is offset by the ergonomics of the bass somehow.

Probably a mixture of this point and the haze of long term memory lol.

Would still love this thing even if it was a bit of a heffer!

• Like 1

On 20/11/2019 at 19:41, TheGreek said:

Quick plug...Set up and low action is courtesy of my local luthier, Terry Chapman, who can be relied upon to do a great job on whatever he touches...if you need anything done, get in touch.

It’s just been back to Terry for a set up and a set of strings recommended by @skelf from Newtone Strings. It’ll be the first time I’ve played roundwounds, picking it up tomorrow morning, can’t wait.

• Like 1

That’s it, it’s all over, a) I am now officially an ACG fanboy (although I’m really too old to be an anything ’boy’ but fanman..? I dunno), b) I’m keeping the Harlot. It’s just back from TJC Guitars having been fully set up and restrung with Newtone Platinum Roundwounds and man it sings, no way I’d ever get a bass of its ilk again, it has that undefinable extra something that I suppose we are all looking for in a bass. It’s a GAS killer as far as fretted electric basses go. I’ve a feeling that once I get the short scale bass that @Jabba_the_gut is working on for me I’ll be done...

...mind you, I can’t get @TheGreek’s Psilios bass out of my head?

There is no end to GAS is there?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

It’s just been back to Terry for a set up and a set of strings recommended by @skelf from Newtone Strings. It’ll be the first time I’ve played roundwounds, picking it up tomorrow morning, can’t wait.

The first time you’ve played roundwounds? Surely you’ve played basses in shops before? Hardly anything comes with flatwounds as standard these days.

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Not to dismiss @skelf’s entire output ever since but I am beginning to agree with a couple of people on this thread in that I think I have ended up as the owner of the most beautiful ACG ever made!

yes you have. 
ACG have beautiful body shapes - but something about the woods on your one...... 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...