Why become a member? ×

NBD - ACG Harlot SC

Frank Blank

Purchased this from our forum stalwart @TheGreek, I'm kind of at a loss what to say about it really, it’s actually jaw-dropping in every respect. I'm trying to piece together it's history, @skelf tells me the build was completed in Jan 2009 and according to @TheGreek it was built for @GreeneKing I am unsure who had it next? It would be lovely to have its family tree, if anyone can help me piece this together then great! In the meantime, check this mother out, f****** hell...

B1F648AF-B91D-42A3-8400-C4BA9CEA0569_1_201_a.jpeg

216FFD41-6AAD-42EA-A3FE-C3BB89D94856_1_201_a.jpeg

D3CB9E5D-3D1E-4886-911F-C69480B9467B_1_201_a.jpeg

8520C56A-56FC-438C-838B-A05C70ECF257_1_201_a.jpeg

C51834F5-C429-40B4-8677-C875CDE9F595_1_201_a.jpeg

F286E355-67A8-4077-BDD3-1B2AD4115EBD_1_201_a.jpeg

494162C7-C872-4D5A-9F8A-85CEC61531C5_1_201_a.jpeg

EF3F11B8-B43E-4F5E-BE0C-D5364EF1FA25_1_201_a.jpeg

C9DFDBF1-7FD8-48BA-876A-9A0E762B281A_1_201_a.jpeg

D9AC5094-9ADB-4346-A184-1DDD9AC62ECC_1_201_a.jpeg

5C6BDBE9-BCA9-40B8-ADD2-F4951A9800EE_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

What an absolute peach, congratulations!

This was one of a few of @skelf's early basses that absolutely set my world on fire, and set me on a path to owning more ACGs than I know what to do with!
I can't believe how good the condition of the bass is, it looks as good as new!

Enjoy it, then more pics and sound samples please ;)

Eude

• Like 1

It was this very bass that lured me into buying my (superb) ACG Recurve fretless back in 2010. I'd never seen anything quite like it!

Running a quick search in 'Basses For Sale' brings back a few ads for this bass which may help to piece together the ownership history before yourself (see ads dated Oct 2010, Jan 2012, Sep 2012, Dec 2012, Oct 2019).

https://www.basschat.co.uk/search/?q=harlot&type=forums_topic&nodes=19&search_in=titles

• Like 1

Played this back in the day at Moffatt, when it was GreeneKing’s. It’s a nice bass, although I could’ve done with spending more time with the filters (and lowering the action to my personal taste). I always thought the top wood (amboina IIRC) was lovely. Nice to see it’s gone to a good home. I do worry about some of these really nice basses that end up doing the rounds!

• Like 1

On 20/11/2019 at 15:54, eude said:

What an absolute peach, congratulations!

This was one of a few of @skelf's early basses that absolutely set my world on fire, and set me on a path to owning more ACGs than I know what to do with!
I can't believe how good the condition of the bass is, it looks as good as new!

Enjoy it, then more pics and sound samples please ;)

I can’t find a mark on it, I’d hate to be the first to put a ding in it (no doubt that’ll happen this evening.) I haven’t even plugged it in yet I’m so smitten by it and, it has to be said, daunted by which controls do what! When you say set your world on fire you don’t mean you owned it at some point do you?

Edited by Frank Blank
Idiocy

15 minutes ago, ikay said:

It was this very bass that lured me into buying my (superb) ACG Recurve fretless back in 2010. I'd never seen anything quite like it!

Running a quick search in 'Basses For Sale' brings back a few ads for this bass which may help to piece together the ownership history before yourself (see ads dated Oct 2010, Jan 2012, Sep 2012, Dec 2012, Oct 2019).

https://www.basschat.co.uk/search/?q=harlot&type=forums_topic&nodes=19&search_in=titles

This is excellent, many thanks @ikay, did you get to try it out or were you just inspired seeing it on here?

8 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I could’ve done with spending more time with the filters (and lowering the action to my personal taste). I always thought the top wood (amboina IIRC) was lovely. Nice to see it’s gone to a good home. I do worry about some of these really nice basses that end up doing the rounds!

The action is low now, maybe it’s been tweaked since. I must admit I am nervous of tackling the controls but no doubt it’ll be a gas.

27 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

This is excellent, many thanks @ikay, did you get to try it out or were you just inspired seeing it on here?

I didn't ever get to play this particular one, it just made me sit up and pay attention to ACG. There happened to be a custom Recurve for sale on the ACG website at the time which proved to be irresistible! After nearly 10 years it's still one of my favourite basses. Mine has a single humbucker and piezo. It started life with the same dual filter preamp as on yours but I struggled with the extreme and somewhat unpredictable tonal range of the filters. After a couple of years I swapped it out for a more conventional East modular preamp which suits the mag/piezo pickup mix much better.

P1010414.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

She has aged beautifully.  Chris112 had it 2nd!

I was hoping you’d rock up! I knew it was a Chris but not which Chris so thank you very much! Although I can’t seem to find anyone with that username? Do you remember what strings were on it initially and can you remember what make of case it was in? 

3 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

The action is low now, maybe it’s been tweaked since. I must admit I am nervous of tackling the controls but no doubt it’ll be a gas.

The action wasn’t high then, but as several who played the Sei single cut I had at the time noted, I prefer my action super low. Martin Petersen at the Gallery once said he only has one customer who likes lower action than me, although to be fair my current basses are set slightly higher than I would normally use, to allow them to speak a little better; I’m currently about 1mm at the 12th fret G string.

Edited by 4000

9 minutes ago, 4000 said:

The action wasn’t high then, but as several who played the Sei single cut I had at the time noted, I prefer my action super low. Martin Petersen at the Gallery once said he only has one customer who likes lower action than me, although to be fair my current basses are set slightly higher than I would normally use, to allow them to speak a little better; I’m currently about 1mm at the 12th fret G string.

If anything it’s a shade too low for me.

I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread - massive dose of Sellers Remorse, but TBH it shouldn't just sit in it's case which is pretty much what it did for 90% of the time I owned it.

Quick plug...Set up and low action is courtesy of my local luthier, Terry Chapman, who can be relied upon to do a great job on whatever he touches...if you need anything done, get in touch.

The only criticism I might have about this bass is the early John East pre-amp which gives far too many great tones which can make it difficult to settle on one - you can be too spoilt for choice.

For your timeline - I got the bass here from @ziggydolphinboy.

Hope you enjoy it Frank.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I can’t find a mark on it, I’d hate to be the first to put a ding in it (no doubt that’ll happen this evening. I haven’t even plugged it in yet I’m so smitten by it and, it has to be said, daunted by which controls do what! When you say set your world on fire you don’t mean you owned it at some point do you?

No, I wasn't lucky enough to own that particular ACG. Ever since going down the custom route I've been going shorter and shorter, and I've settled on 31.5" now for all my basses bar one shorty which is 30.5". A full scale bass would've been too big...

I've owned and sold a lot of ACGs on my journey, but I doubt the ones I have now will ever leave.

Here's my main squeeze for reference...

IMG_20190910_204259.thumb.jpg.16a81c9ccceead9615d211b06aa59e26.jpg

Eude

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, eude said:

No, I wasn't lucky enough to own that particular ACG. Ever since going down the custom route I've been going shorter and shorter, and I've settled on 31.5" now for all my basses bar one shorty which is 30.5". A full scale bass would've been too big...

I've owned and sold a lot of ACGs on my journey, but I doubt the ones I have now will ever leave.

Here's my main squeeze for reference...

IMG_20190910_204259.thumb.jpg.16a81c9ccceead9615d211b06aa59e26.jpg

Eude

I’d love to try a shorter scale over the course of a gig. Obviously my Rics are slightly shorter than standard 34”, but I’ve never found anything about longer scale instruments (34 and over) that I like better, so it would be an interesting experiment. I had an Alembic Stanley Clarke once, but I wasn’t completely sold on the E and it balanced terribly, although in all other ways was fab; it sang in the upper register. 

Anyway, back to the OPs lovely ACG!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I was hoping you’d rock up! I knew it was a Chris but not which Chris so thank you very much! Although I can’t seem to find anyone with that username? Do you remember what strings were on it initially and can you remember what make of case it was in? 

That's a long time ago. Hiscox methinks. Strings - possibly Sunbeams. A gorgeous bass. I had fun choosing the woods and getting to know Alan.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I've got the username wrong but I think it's close. Chris is from the NE. We met in Haltwhistle. He's still about on BC. Edited to add Chris2112.

Re the woods, as usual Alan is the expert. Not only that he's a good communicator, a gent and a credit to his profession.

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Purchased this from our forum stalwart @TheGreek, I'm kind of at a loss what to say about it really, it's actually jaw-dropping in every respect. I'm trying to piece together it's history, @skelf tells me the build was completed in Jan 2009 and according to @TheGreek it was built for @GreeneKing I am unsure who had it next? It would be lovely to have its family tree, if anyone can help me piece this together then great! In the meantime, check this mother out, f****** hell...

It was collected by Peter on 7th January 2009. I know that as I was at ACG HQ picking the woods and spec for my Recurve and it was the day after my Birthday. Peter and Dave Perry turned up to collect the bass and helped me with my choice of woods for the Recurve. On opening the case it truly was astonishing.

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, 4000 said:

I’d love to try a shorter scale over the course of a gig. Obviously my Rics are slightly shorter than standard 34”, but I’ve never found anything about longer scale instruments (34 and over) that I like better, so it would be an interesting experiment. I had an Alembic Stanley Clarke once, but I wasn’t completely sold on the E and it balanced terribly, although in all other ways was fab; it sang in the upper register. 

Anyway, back to the OPs lovely ACG!

Shorter scales have come a long way. Having them expertly made and then great strings to match help too.
As much as bass building is getting better, I think strings have really come along recently, having said that though, I've found even regular scale strings feel and sound pretty darned good on my 31.5" basses.

Here's a wee snippet on my 30.5" ACG, this is wearing full scale flats too, and the low E string is bloody marvellous! >>

I think the bulk of the magic is in the ACG though, something the OP will be realising this week :)

Eude

• Like 1

This bass... I have looked at every sale post lovingly.... came really close to pulling the trigger a few times. I still think it is the most beautiful ACG I’ve seen. 
in the end I stuck the same ACG preamp in my streamer  to unleash all the good tones! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

It was collected by Peter on 7th January 2019. I know that as I was at ACG HQ picking the woods and spec for my Recurve and it was the day after my Birthday. Peter and Dave Perry turned up to collect the bass and helped me with my choice of woods for the Recurve. On opening the case it truly was astonishing.

2019? 2009 methinks Stu :)

• Like 1