Why become a member? ×

Cheap Wireless

Woodinblack

I am happy with my smooth hound for gigging, its receiver is on the pedalboard. However, when I am practicing I don't always bring that and certainly in the house I don't. So I had looked at the boss unit but no-one seems to know if it would work with a Ibanez SR bass, so not really an option at that price.

A friend mentioned getting a cheap wireless on amazon for £35, as as a non amazon user, I looked on ebay and found something that looked the same for £24.95. Worth a try I thought:

IMG_0247.jpg.fbf40b681fcdbb5dbea0b6e7224e1fca.jpg

Turned up today, just these and a double headed USB cable (for charging both at the same time). They weigh approximately nothing at all, certainly a lot lighter than the smooth hound, which is because they weight less than the batteries in it. The joint is just plastic friction, which works fine as there is no weight and they don't flap around for the same reason. They are a little bigger than the looked in the advertising (that green thing has centimetres on the bottom (but strangely, half inches on the squares) on it so you can see the size. 

Trying them in my music room they work fine, better than fine in fact. I know this isn't a challenging environment and the only reason I would use wireless in my room is that there leads everywhere and when my wife wants to sing as well, it gets a little crowded.

These are certainly good enough for practice though, and TBH, I don't see why they wouldn't also be ok for a gig. but I will leave that until I have had a practice evening with them, just to see what the battery lifespan is - the battery power must be small with the weight.

Anyway, main take away, £25, they work.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am happy with my smooth hound for gigging, its receiver is on the pedalboard. However, when I am practicing I don't always bring that and certainly in the house I don't. So I had looked at the boss unit but no-one seems to know if it would work with a Ibanez SR bass, so not really an option at that price.

A friend mentioned getting a cheap wireless on amazon for £35, as as a non amazon user, I looked on ebay and found something that looked the same for £24.95. Worth a try I thought:

Turned up today, just these and a double headed USB cable (for charging both at the same time). They weigh approximately nothing at all, certainly a lot lighter than the smooth hound, which is because they weight less than the batteries in it. The joint is just plastic friction, which works fine as there is no weight and they don't flap around for the same reason. They are a little bigger than the looked in the advertising (that green thing has centimetres on the bottom (but strangely, half inches on the squares) on it so you can see the size. 

Trying them in my music room they work fine, better than fine in fact. I know this isn't a challenging environment and the only reason I would use wireless in my room is that there leads everywhere and when my wife wants to sing as well, it gets a little crowded.

These are certainly good enough for practice though, and TBH, I don't see why they wouldn't also be ok for a gig. but I will leave that until I have had a practice evening with them, just to see what the battery lifespan is - the battery power must be small with the weight.

The main difference between the Smoothound and some cheaper wireless systems is that the Smoothound is good at seeking free channels. Two low cost systems used by my guitarist wipe out the connection between the digital mixer and the control computer/tablet. Of course those may not be working on the 2.4GHz band

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Have thought about this sort of thing for a while, but assumed it'd be of low quality.

For that money, it might be worth a punt!

49 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

The main difference between the Smoothound and some cheaper wireless systems is that the Smoothound is good at seeking free channels. Two low cost systems used by my guitarist wipe out the connection between the digital mixer and the control computer/tablet. Of course those may not be working on the 2.4GHz band

Well, it doesn't do seem to do that, or interfere with the guitarists wireless. Certainly good enough for practice when you consider it is cheaper than some guitar cables I have.

I've got these exact things and I have to say they're absolutely marvellous. I now use them at every rehearsal and have also at several gigs. Works a treat. There is a notable latency on anything with a bit of 'attack', but not so much that it puts you out of time or anything. Definitely recommended.

Edited by Rich
Marvellous has TWO Ls, you stupid bloody spellchecker.

Hah! Already fell for your subtle mind games twice this year Woody. Must resist... 

Another contented Smoothhound user. 

@Rich are these as good as Xvives (which I couldn't make work for me - too glitchy even at home), but at a fraction of the cost of Xvives I'd likely put up with the glitching for the convenience. 

Did I just say I must resist? 😄 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

Damnation, I seem to have just bought one despite having a Boss unit.  Bloody Basschat.

:) 

Oh it's not just you, don't worry. I already had a very lovely Line 6 G55 but I still bought this anyway. :lol: I blame my guitarist.

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Are these as good as Xvives (which I couldn't make work for me - too glitchy even at home), but at a fraction of the cost of Xvives I'd likely put up with the glitching for the convenience. 

I have no experience or knowledge of Xvives Al, but all I will say is that I haven't heard one single glitch from my cheapy Ammoons yet.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...