Why become a member? ×

IPad App for Backing Track and Lyrics?

PunkPonyPrincess

I have a support slot for a Gig coming up in December in London, it’s just me, Bass/Guitar and possibly a backing vocalist, it’s a lot to drop on me as I had hoped to get a drummer playing my parts by now, but no such luck (I do all my own drums on my record). So I’m putting my recorded drum tracks onto an iPad or something and playing along to that... 

Are there any apps people can recommend that they use that I can strap to my microphone stand that I can hit play that both plays the drum track and shows the lyrics like a karaoke type system? I occasionally have a brain fart live and lose my place or forget lyrics because I am playing bass and guitar simultaneously (via my pedalboard) and I have a lot on so anything that eases the process is welcome. It also helps new and possibly unfamiliar backing vocals to look across and know where they are too.

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess

Easiest thing for drums to trigger is probably a beat buddy mini and you can pop fills etc in it.

So far as scrolling lyrics for free there is a function on the iPad to scroll a pages document and set a time for it, or pop the lyrics into a keynote presentation and again set a timer for the slides to change.

If you want to pay about £30 then On Song is a great app for organising set lists and importing lyrics annotating changes, key changes etc and all kinds of things and will also scroll and link to timings from the actual songs.

You could probably have a couple of iPads and load the drum racks into Garageband.

Can the other person/people trigger one thing whilst you do another?

Its a lot to do all together for one!

in Song, ok will check that. I use Logic X on a Mac and wondering if Mainstage has anything...

I don’t like the idea of using different drums/rhythm track to the record. I can do the guitar/bass and vocals myself to a drum backing track playing...  I’ve been practicing it and that’s ok, I just forget lyrics from time to time...

the drum track i was hoping to lift from my EP and just play along to it, with an onscreen lyric or prompter track (”Middle 8 coming up’ etc) just in case I have a brain fart. Which I do have.

You could probably use your mac for the tracks and the ipad for lyrics. Anyone you know have any local connections for drummer who could jump in for you? Not sure how complex the drum tracks are but a decent drummer could likely learn them or mayeb ask one of the acts on the bill if the drummer would be up for it?

I recall seeing a band in Edinburgh who were over from Australia and a local fan had arranged to drum for them on a gig. He was great and you wouldn't have known he wasn't in the band.

PAF!

My iMac is probably bit big and fragile for the stage (I thought mainstage was an iOS app by now), I have an iPad though I don’t mind using. Drum tracks are now stereo files but so far no one has replied to my band member searches for guitar and drums, so I’ve gone it alone with the EP and gotten gigs from it, I may have to be one of those solo people, which is lonely... this whole process is lonely... I have friends, but I don’t have any friends that play instruments... I left the band I was in because it was slowing me down and not working out.

I found an app called stage traxx for iPad, that might work well.

You mentioned running it like a Karaoke? Have you tried an Ipad karaoke app that lets you import tunes and lyrics? 

I found this thing - horrible name but could do what you want maybe http://grinta-app.com/en/

I use a Digitech JamMan to trigger the samples with my feet and an IK Multimedia app called iKlip Stage for the scrolling lyrics. these aren't synced though.