Why become a member? ×

Derek Forbes - non Simple Minds recordings

darkandrew

3 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

There are a few snippets of info on solo and collaboration work on his Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Forbes

I was surprised when he sold his Wal on eBay a few years ago. As he had writing credits on quite a number of Simple Minds tracks, I'm sure he doesn't need the money!

And I was surprised and delighted when he sold me his Vigier.

I'd also been keen to hear more of his recorded work if it is out there.

Saw him support Theatre of Hate in the summer, it was hit or miss as to whether we could make the gig as Saving Amy were playing a festival that day, got there just as the support act started, having absolutely no idea who it was going to be....stood right at the front and watched him smash it on the bass......happy days indeed!

On 20/11/2019 at 16:21, Frank Blank said:

Didn’t Mr Forbes play in Propaganda?

He played and co-wrote on "1234" and was credited on the remix album "Wishful Thinking" as both he and Brian McGee were part of the live band at the time (McGee had replaced Steve Jansen by that point), however he is not credited on and didn't play on "A Secret Wish", their first and most successful album - the bass parts on which were either synthesized, sampled or played by Stephen Lipson, although he was part of the live band at the time of its release.

Edited by darkandrew

On 20/11/2019 at 08:04, lowregisterhead said:

There are a few snippets of info on solo and collaboration work on his Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Forbes

I'd never realised he'd played on Kirsty MacColl's "A New England" - they play it quite often on the radio, and although I love the song, I've never really listened to the bassline. Time for another listen then.

Edited by darkandrew

Interesting thread. I recall the Propaganda album well but never stopped to look who played bass. He was cracking with Simple Minds, some of the B sides were quite something. I think that when he and Mick MacNeil quit, that band lost a leg or two (and it's heart). Back around '92 or '93 I got to know Mick MacNeil when he was working with Robin Zander (Cheap Trick) on an album and he used to tell me unlimited yarns about the behaviour of Jim Kerr (Herr Kerr as the band would say, you need the Glasgow accent to get that). Mick and Derek both got so sick of all that they quit.
I'd say Propaganda's big album was the first lineup with Claudia Brucken: A Secret Wish (on ZTT) - remember 'The First Cut'?. 1234 was the new lineup and 'Heaven give me words' was a minor hit but the band seemed to fade rather quickly and I believe Virgin dropped them shortly after.

But the big thing looking back IMHO is the magic combo of Derek on bass and Mick on keys. There is no doubt at all that Mick composed all the big themes of the Simple Minds years - and Kerr made sure he never got the credit or nowhere near the credit he deserved.
I know Simple Minds have fallen out of fashion but what they were doing in the early to mid years (up to Mick's departure) was quite magical, and they were stadium massive to boot. The Simple Minds sound powerhouse was Derek Forbes and Mick Macneil. 

thanks @darkandrew for reminding me of those years👍

edit: Propaganda's hit was called Duel of course, featuring the lyric 'the first cut won't hurt at all...'

Edited by Soledad
  • Like 1

I travel is a strange dance floor new wave hit that I love so much.

I still remember when New Gold Dream (81, 82, 83, 84) was released. What an impressive album, still up to date today with these Derek's typical bass lines moving the woofers a lot. I still can see the big speakers moving a lot at Caroline Music in Louvain-la-Neuve where the record was played non stop all day long. Delightful.

After that, the maxi single Waterfront went out with that hypnotic bass line.

Was studying in Brussels back then and was a mate of La Strada record seller there. Told him the following album will be impressive. And it was as Sparkle in the rain still has this powerful sound, but not the surprising sound and composition of the previous. There was something in the air or more precisely in the record groove annoucing what was going to happen... 

And then came the announcement of Derek quitting the band. The next album came out and was impressively disappointing. The magic had gone with the bass...

So sad. That said I never liked the brother of Bun Kerr. Such an a**hole.

• Like 1

Just checking Wiki, worth a look. He wrote on 60% of the SM output and was never credited (citation needed says Wiki). FFS Kerr, you tw*t.

Derek Forbes credited with Kirsty MacColl 'A New England' - excellent. Anyone remember her 'Electric Landlady' album (Virgin I think). Cracking title - a very bright talent she was. I believe Guy Pratt played with her at some point (his book slightly annoys me but he's definitely a bit handy).

Off to listen to A New England now.... 

Derek was a huge influence to me as a musician and still is and I got to meet him and interview him back in 2010 when he was playing with Los Mondo Bongo in 2010. Below is the interview that I posted on Basschat.

As for Simple Minds, you could probably say I am a massive fan and have seen them live so many times, sadly not with Derek on bass but fortunately with Mick McNeil. Personally, Simple Minds was most hurt when Mick McNeil left after the Street Fighting Years album. He was the sound of Simple Minds for me and over the years as more albums were released, they lost so much. The following album, Real Life was still a masterpiece, probably because Mick likely had an input in the songs but the following album really started to suffer although some good tracks did follow. As for Derek, again Simple Minds lost a lot when he left, he certainly had a signature sound with his flanger and fretless bass lines. However, John Giblin and Malcom Foster were both superb bassists and I think filled the gap, just in a different way. Derek did have an input in the Once Upon A Time album despite having left when it was finally recorded and did play some of the songs live before he left.

• Thanks 1

Hope this doesn’t derail the thread - and genuine apologies in advance to darkandrew if I do! - but with the discussion regarding the departure of the mighty Derek Forbes and Michael McNeil it’s worth bearing in mind how things could have turned out had they been able to get their producer of choice for the Sparkle in the Rain album, Alex Sadkin.

For me, it’s the last album I liked of theirs, albeit I find it patchy, to say the least. That said, there are a number of fine Derek Forbes moments on their.

These snippets of two demos have been on the internet for a while and as a fan of the band up to that point I am genuinely disappointed that the album didn’t follow this route, rather than the course Steve Lillywhite took them on.

Book of Brilliant Things kicks in around the 3min mark...

A Derek Forbes story. Back in a bygone age (circa 1983/84) me and some mates were in a band and sent a load of demo tapes out to various record companies, including Virgin Records - this is when they were based in/around Notting Hill/Ladbroke Grove area. We received a letter (I think) from a guy (again, I think) called Ronnie Gurr and were invited down to Virgin to discuss the demo.

Picture us ecstatic and planning how to compete with the likes of Simple Minds, Comsat Angels and bands of that ilk who we were fans of at the time.

We met with Ronnie (a fine Scottish gentleman) and were listening to the demo in Virgin’s offices when the door bursts open and in walks Mr Forbes with a huge grin. “Can you turn that fu*king racket down. My granny is trying to sleep next door!” (I’d ask you to apply a thick Glaswegian accent to that, for best effect), and then promptly leaves.

”It’s Derek Forbes”, I muttered, to no one in particular. “He’s great”.

”That was Derek Forbes of Simple Minds”, said Mr Gurr. He then went on to tell us all about how amazing Simple Minds were, how they’d just set a record for appearing at Hammersmith Odeon, and turned the music down (pretty much to off!).

We all just looked at each other and waited for the earliest moment to leave!!

So to paraphrase the great Scooby Doo show finale: “And we woulda got away with it if it weren’t for that pesky Forbes”!!

Still love him... 

• Like 1

On 22/11/2019 at 07:45, Soledad said:

...unlimited yarns about the behaviour of Jim Kerr (Herr Kerr as the band would say, you need the Glasgow accent to get that).

Reminds me of a Vic & Bob quip on 'Shooting Stars'... "True or False? Jim Kerr of Simple Minds was in fact born in Spain, and was christened Juan..."