Why become a member? ×

SOLD - 1966 Fender Precision Bass - Natural Refinish - NOW £2900
£3300
Worcester

Hoodyy

Very original 1966 Fender Precision bass. Stripped and refinished at some point in the 70s, it was originally sunburst. Neck date is 5th October ’66, one of the last CBS transition basses (F stamp neck plate, but unstamped tuners).

Pickup has one grey bottom, one black bottom, pencil dated May ’67 which is a bit of an oddity, but not the first time i've heard of it. Scratch plate, pick ups, hardware are all original. Pots that came with the base were terrible 70s ones (likely changed when it was stripped) that I replaced with new, but correct CTS taper pots using the original cap.

The untouched, worn-back neck is the best I've ever played on a bass, as you'd expect from something that's been played for over 50 years. Small ding at the 12th fret which is unnoticeable when playing.

My number 1 bass, with unbeatable playability and tone. Repro bridge and pick up covers and fender hard case included. Sensible inquiries only. Collection only, located in Worcester. No trades. No international sales. Any questions or try outs or anything at all, don't hesitate to give me a shout. Cheers!

Adam

IMGP9365.jpg

IMGP9377.jpg

IMGP9379.jpg

IMGP9380.jpg

IMGP9383.jpg

IMGP9385.jpg

IMGP9387.jpg

IMGP9388.jpg

IMGP9390.jpg

Edited by Hoodyy
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Bloody eck. Almost a real life Deacy bass.

Phwoar, cor and yum.

True story...when I bought and watched the Queen - Live In Toronto gig on itunes...I spent about the first 20 minutes going...is it?? It's not...MY bass....is it?? I believe his is a '62 and I triple checked the grain pattern, but yeah...it's incredibly similar.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoodyy said:

True story...when I bought and watched the Queen - Live In Toronto gig on itunes...I spent about the first 20 minutes going...is it?? It's not...MY bass....is it?? I believe his is a '62 and I triple checked the grain pattern, but yeah...it's incredibly similar.

I’ve heard 63, and a 65 in sunburst which eventually evolved from natural into black with gold bits...

Either way. I would have to sell to buy, and my flea and 64 CS jazz are staying...

Although I’d be struggling to resist if sat in the same room with all 3.

Damn.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

I’ve heard 63, and a 65 in sunburst which eventually evolved from natural into black with gold bits...

Either way. I would have to sell to buy, and my flea and 64 CS jazz are staying...

Damn.

I mean everyone says this, but I really do mean it when I say this is the best playing neck I've ever had on a P bass. It really is a beaut. And I've played a bunch!

7 minutes ago, Hoodyy said:

I mean everyone says this, but I really do mean it when I say this is the best playing neck I've ever had on a P bass. It really is a beaut. And I've played a bunch!

Yeah, I’ve played so many. The 61 I appraised for a liquidation company and played for a few days was a dream. And then I found it went at auction for £1450 or something.

I’d just paid £1200 for a 77...

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, I’ve played so many. The 61 I appraised for a liquidation company and played for a few days was a dream. And then I found it went at auction for £1450 or something.

I’d just paid £1200 for a 77...

Oh man...don't...I've seen those ones go by before too...so painful!

On 20/11/2019 at 00:11, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The headstock logo on John’s (late 60’s I believe) is the larger TV version, therefore different to yours.

71BC0D41-B9F1-479B-9163-6EC54C8F33B3.png

This one started life as his "number 2" bass. It's a 1968. It soon became his main instrument as he preferred it.  It was sunburst to begin with, John then took the finish off late 70's and it remained that way until 85/86 when it was refinished to be the black (with gold hardware) Magic Tour model.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/11/2019 at 22:41, AndyTravis said:

Damn.

.....and here's the other one, which I thought was a '67 but I'd have to check: EDIT: 1965!!

50962693_837510526596725_712818620008095

Like Hoodyy's it has a silver logo, though I cant see the font clearly and this one has the reverse Kluson tuning keys verses the '68 above that featured 70's style tuning keys instead.

Edited by Dood
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mart3442 said:

I'd need the money to buy it, and the money to get Bravewood to replicate the original sunburst finish...

What a great Bass, glwts.

That was originally my plan for her, but I ended up coming to love the grain and the finish as it was!

• Like 1

On 21/11/2019 at 16:27, Dood said:

.....and here's the other one, which I thought was a '67 but I'd have to check: EDIT: 1965!!

50962693_837510526596725_712818620008095

Like Hoodyy's it has a silver logo, though I cant see the font clearly and this one has the reverse Kluson tuning keys verses the '68 above that featured 70's style tuning keys instead.

This is the one!!

• Like 1

John was, for most of his professional career, a Fender Precision bassist. He was given a 1965 sunburst model by the record company in 1972, and by late 1974 he had another one, which was made in 1968. The two basses are almost identical and they sound 99.99% alike. The only slight difference is on their logos: the 1965 model has a grey logo, the 1968 model has a black logo. John used both of them interchangeably for most of the 1970s, and then mostly the 1968 model from then on. Those basses underwent several changes on their finish: in summer 1975, John stripped off his 1965 model and left it natural, one year later he did the same with the 1968 model, and by the time the Magic tour began in June 1986 he had his 1968 bass refurbished and painted black.”

I copied this from another thread. Forgot I’d posted it...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

What a nice looking bass. It's natural refinish has a nice balance in color with the pickguard and chrome covers. It probably plays and sounds awesome.. 

If only blabla.... 

GLWTS! 

Yeah, I’d say it was refinished at some point in the late 70s, so there’s some age to the finish for sure. It’s genuinely the best playing P bass I’ve ever had the fortune of playing, and if circumstances were different, it wouldn’t be going anywhere! 

• MB1 locked this topic