Why become a member? ×

Affordable full body headless basses

dark-dekar

On 19/11/2019 at 22:03, dark-dekar said:

Yeah, but is quite rare to find them on the second hand market :(

I found this one in Edinburgh. With the active on it makes my little Orange Crush 25W practice amp sound very big and nasty 🙂

Very affordable, very playable, but a tad heavy.

5_string.jpg

7 hours ago, EMG456 said:

The consensus in the Steinberger community seems to be that it's mainly the pots that let the spirit instruments down. Apparently replacing the pots with good quality ones from the likes of CTS will make a noticeable improvement.

That makes sense. I had a Hohner Jack guitar years ago. The EMG-licenced pickups were rather good but the pots were barely adequate. (On which point, is your user name a coincidence?) The Hohner was really quite impressive given its low cost, which is no doubt why they have appreciated so much as secondhand items. As others have said, I'd also keep a sharp eye out for a Hohner Jack bass if I were the OP.

The "weak pot" problem: the bane of so many a musician's life, or so I am given to understand.

Maybe the 5er tips it over to being heavy with the wider neck and extra hardware?  That said I've had 3x B2As, a B2B and a B2V over the years (kept selling them and buying again, what a prat :) ) and the difference in weight between them was staggering.  One of the B2As weighed nearly 9lbs, the lightest only 7lbs.

Edited by Paul S

11 hours ago, 4000 said:

I’ve played loads of Jacks (and owned one) that were all lightweight, so I’m surprised at this too. 

Hmm... according to my luggage scales it's only 7.5lbs! I find that hard to credit, the scales are pretty cheesy so I'll see if I can get a decent one later.

Probably feels heavier because my 'main squeeze' basses (Fender Performer, Squier Jazz)  are both quite light. It's not as heavy as my Westone.

As @Paul S suggests it may be down to the timber in it as well.

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hmm... according to my luggage scales it's only 7.5lbs! I find that hard to credit, the scales are pretty cheesy so I'll see if I can get a decent one later.

Probably feels heavier because my 'main squeeze' basses (Fender Performer, Squier Jazz)  are both quite light. It's not as heavy as my Westone.

As @Paul S suggests it may be down to the timber in it as well.

OK, I got some apparently more accurate digital scales. Interesting:

Jack V  - 8.4 lbs

Squier Standard  Jazz  (2001) - 9.7 lbs

Squier VM Jag - 7.7 lbs

Fender performer -  9.0 lbs

All including strap (I need something to attach the scales to and I'm not using the strings!)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

OK, I got some apparently more accurate digital scales. Interesting:

Jack V  - 8.4 lbs

Squier Standard  Jazz  (2001) - 9.7 lbs

Squier VM Jag - 7.7 lbs

Fender performer -  9.0 lbs

All including strap (I need something to attach the scales to and I'm not using the strings!)

Every Jazz I’ve owned has been noticeably heavier than any Jack I’ve played. 

On 23/11/2019 at 20:26, Stub Mandrel said:

I found this one in Edinburgh. With the active on it makes my little Orange Crush 25W practice amp sound very big and nasty 🙂

Very affordable, very playable, but a tad heavy.

5_string.jpg

I’ve got a four string of this exact bass. Battery cover broken, bit battered but it sounds bloody ace.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I can translate in French for you if you want. 

Misinterpreted, my fault. I meant if you're interested in this bass I can do the translation from English, German, Dutch, Italian or even Spanish to French.

Better this way. 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

A Hohner The Jack Custom V has just appeared in France, looks in very good condition except for the battery cover missing. Price is à la française, so too high, as it's always the case. I can translate in French for you if you want.

https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/annonce-1773172

Thanks for the link! But right now I'm about to finish a deal with a colleague here. So I hope I'm done searching in a few days. (until the next GAS attack 🙈)

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

The Ibanez EHB range seems to fit the bill with regard to the original post - a range of full body headless basses around the £1000 mark.

I was surprised no-one had mentioned it so apologies if a) someone already has and I didn't spot it or b) I have misunderstood what the OP is after 😆

Edited by Rexel Matador

You are right and ... wrong. When the OP started the thread, this Ibanez range wasn't available and the EHB's were firstly advertised with much noise as fan(ned) frets basses... Even if the range also covers regular fretted basses, of course. ;)

21 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

You are right and ... wrong. When the OP started the thread, this Ibanez range wasn't available and the EHB's were firstly advertised with much noise as fan(ned) frets basses... Even if the range also covers regular fretted basses, of course. ;)

Ah I see - that all makes sense - it didn't occur to me that the original question predated the release.

• Like 1