Why become a member? ×

What do you think of this bass

lowlandtrees

This is a friends bass. His dad left him the instrument. I have asked if I can see it but he seems a bit guarded and doesn’t seem to want to answer the obvious questions that I have asked...internal /external markings etc so I have let it go. I am interested to know a bit more about it. It looks like it needs some serious repairs.

image.thumb.jpeg.36bc62687dd1bb114b186ea086b4c9e8.jpeg28E797C0-3D51-4F4F-974C-CB2C0D79A219.thumb.jpeg.9cc595461a03a99a183803e5cd24d5db.jpeg

15 hours ago, lowlandtrees said:

Don’t intend to buy. I think that my mate reckons that it has value. Don’t really want to be the person to break the news....but it looks interesting. His dad played it professionally in the 50s/60s.

Take it to a local professional.

If it's a Hawkes bass then it could have significant value, even after you spend money on restoration. The chances are, if the guy was a professional, the bass could have some value but the only person who would know is a pro!

• Like 1

You know, a few cracks in the table (if that is what the front is properly called) isn't an issue.  The rest of the front looks rather nice and it has quality tuners too.  Shame about the ribs, but a decent mender should put it right and a new bridge and maybe sound-post would be part of a normal first time setup.   Probably worth a few £1000 .. so worth spending a few £100 on; expensive things double basses. 

• 1 month later...

There is a significant sum to be spent there - well into 4 figures, maybe even 5, depending on the condition of the bits we can't see (neck, back, rest of the ribs, blocks etc). It might have value, but equally it might be a Bohemian factory bass on an Italian model - not an English shape, not a Hawkes in my opinion. Risky purchase with no provenance

20 hours ago, neilp said:

There is a significant sum to be spent there - well into 4 figures, maybe even 5, depending on the condition of the bits we can't see (neck, back, rest of the ribs, blocks etc). It might have value, but equally it might be a Bohemian factory bass on an Italian model - not an English shape, not a Hawkes in my opinion. Risky purchase with no provenance

Yes.. I suspect this myself...I never had purchase interest (got an old Hawkes)...it looks like a quality instrument that has been severely treated. I think the family was hoping it was valuable....don’t really want to be the one to break the news but someone should