Why become a member? ×

A bit of love for ...G & L

BaggyMan

Kind of surprised how little discussion there is out there for G & L basses.  so here is a little recent story...

I have owned a couple of SB-2 in the past and have to say they are excellent gigging tools of trade, fast necks, light, punchy.

Recently i was reflecting on how good they were and decided to pull the trigger of a preloved L2500 and an excellent thing it is to.  Now this bit is where I just got the g.a.s.  Watched the video for 'riot' by Ritchie kotzen,  the bass player absolutely nails it playing a G & L JB 4 string.  So off I go to Anderton's and order a tribute version.  Taking its time to get here (getting even more irrational..) I decided to cancel the order and flip to a Kiloton. Never played one before but knew it would be structurally close to the SB-2...and what a bass it is, one of, if not the best decision I have ever made on a purchase.  Think passive stingray, almost the same level of output, single/series and parallel switching, Jazz neck but with more character than a single MFD humbucker bass should legally have.  Brilliant.  Instant #1 bass.  

286299-1532089562617.png.jpeg

• Like 9

really wish they did a five string tribute model of this

I miss my SB2, not that it got a lot of use as I've switched to five strings, but this is the closest I can probably get to a SB2 fiver.

I just can't afford a new USA made G&L at the moment

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of G&L. My first 'proper' bass was an L2000 fretless in blueburst with maple binding... tragically it was destroyed in a house fire (less tragically, I wasn't). 

I currently have an ASAT and an M-2000 fretless, both 2013 (the M-2000 bought new, the ASAT second-hand from Bass Direct). They're both fantastic instruments. Actually I gigged the M-2000 the other night for the first time in about 3 years. The sustain on that thing is just incredible and it's soooo darned easy to play.

Would really like an MJ-5; may well order one in the next few weeks although there's a Sadowsky I'm interested in so we'll see. 

3 hours ago, Graham said:

really wish they did a five string tribute model of this

I messaged G&L about a 5 string Kiloton Tribute and they said that although there are no immediate plans, never say never. Everything needed is already available, apparently. It's just the machining of the body that needs sorting so watch this space.

I have to say I didn’t know much about G&L for a long time until tried an SB1 ages ago and fell in love. I’ve always liked P basses but find them a bit agricultural feel-wise, compared to say a more boutique version like the Celinder I tried. I like the slimmed down body, custom bridge and anodised pickguard - it just feels like a really well considered evolution of the P bass, which I suppose was the point. The quartersawn neck with bi-cut truss rod is lovely. 

It's only in last year or two that I've started seeing US made G & Ls being regularly stocked by UK retailers. 

I had a hankering to try an ASAT for years but on the rare occasions I manged to find somewhere that had one it was inevitably located at the other end of the country.

Edited by Cato

There is a 5 string ASAT semi acoustic in metalflake gold  in the UK somewhere. With matching headstock I think. I think the guy who does Strictly owns it. I need to get out more. I would be all over that like a bad rash if it appeared on the market. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, owen said:

There is a 5 string ASAT semi acoustic in metalflake gold  in the UK somewhere. With matching headstock I think. I think the guy who does Strictly owns it. I need to get out more. I would be all over that like a bad rash if it appeared on the market. 

Wouldn’t be surprised, he was an endorsee. A position I’d happily accept, I have an lb100 and an asat, and have aspirations of a 5 string jb for the next significant birthday.

12 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Not many 5 string ASATs made and mainly prototypes, although weirdly I think most are in Europe

If I remember right the bassist from Skunk Anansie had one and they are reported to be very neck heavy

Not a surprise - I tried a lovely left handed semi-acoustic four string and the neck dive was too much for me. A shame, because it was lovely in all other respects. The lack of a top horn so the trap button is nowhere near the twelfth fret makes it a lovely shape but neck heavy. There used to be an extender plate available IIRC bolts and provides a different strap position but I can't remember where I saw it - yes I can it's here:

ASAT+Horn+Strap+Button+Extender+016+small.jpg

Edited by phil.c60

16 hours ago, owen said:

That'll be Trevor Barry. I think he is a member on here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phil.c60 said:

Not a surprise - I tried a lovely left handed semi-acoustic four string and the neck dive was too much for me. A shame, because it was lovely in all other respects. The lack of a top horn so the trap button is nowhere near the twelfth fret makes it a lovely shape but neck heavy. There used to be an extender plate available IIRC bolts and provides a different strap position but I can't remember where I saw it - yes I can it's here:

ASAT+Horn+Strap+Button+Extender+016+small.jpg

Yep

My Solid Body ASAT has one in made by the designer, semi hollow one I didn’t bother, the dive never bothered me, and I didn’t use it on either bases