Why become a member? ×

Ipad Mini Gen 1 still ok for Mackie Master Fader app?

lemmywinks

Looking for a cheap (and hopefully temporary) solution to Mackie not providing support for non iOS devices with the DL32R, noticed you can get the original Gen 1 iPad Mini for about £50 used but I'm not familiar with Apple stuff and am aware they like to cripple old devices. Is this still ok to run Master Fader or will it be sluggish as hell? Don't want to run anything else on it at all, will just be used for that one app and then sold when Mackie get their @rse in gear RE software support.

We also use DL32R, and I did the same thing earlier this year (i.e. gave up waiting for Mackie and bought an iPad).  One thing to bear in mind is that although Master Fader v4 needs iOS 8, v5 needs iOS 11.  When you update the DL32R to v5, is it possible you might want a crossover period with your iPad (e.g. if it turns out the Android version doesn't quite work)?  If so, you'll need an iPad with iOS 11.  There is a list of those here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209574

Nice one thanks, do you use the old Mini or a more powerful iPad? I'm just concerned about it not running well on obsolete hardware.

I will hopefully be using v5 with my old Bay Trail Windows 2 in 1 tablet rather than Android, tbh I have no qualms about buying a better Windows device as it will get used elsewhere and would replace a current unit. Tbh I don't really want to buy Apple or Android tablet just for this as I don't use them really, all my tech is Windows or Linux apart from my phone.

I do have access to our keyboard player's iPad but it's a bit of a faff to reach over, unlock it, switch monitor mixes and change levels mid gig, would much rather have my own which is unlocked and easily accessible.

27 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Nice one thanks, do you use the old Mini or a more powerful iPad? I'm just concerned about it not running well on obsolete hardware.

Yes, I also wonder if the much older tablets might struggle - e.g. Mini 2 is from 2013.  Myself, I got an iPad gen 5 (2017) as I'm also using the tablet for sheet music so wanted the larger display.

Don't bother with older iPads with the Mackie DL32R. I have a 2012 (4th gen) and a 2018 (6th gen) iPad.

The 4th gen is slow and clunky as mentioned - although it does work, it won't run 5.1 if that ever materialises. There's nothing on that iPad apart from MF4 and the faders are a bit "sticky". It'll get you by I guess (as it does me) - but may be a little frustrating at times. I'd plump for a 5th gen as a minimum.

57 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I think the 1st gen Mini has worse specs than the 4th gen standard iPad too, would a Gen 2 Mini be bearable?

I can only guess so. It feels like the 4th gen only needs a bit more oomph. It works... but wouldn't choose to pick it up if theres something a little better available.

Would have to ask why mini? Because you will appreciate the larger real estate when messing with faders and the like.

34 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I can only guess so. It feels like the 4th gen only needs a bit more oomph. It works... but wouldn't choose to pick it up if theres something a little better available.

Would have to ask why mini? Because you will appreciate the larger real estate when messing with faders and the like.

It's literally just for changing the odd slider a handful of times over the course of a gig for my personal monitor mix, the minis seem to be a bit cheaper locally and on eBay for one in decent condition (ie normal wear but hasn't been thrown out of a moving vehicle). I've checked and a regular one would fit in the laptop pocket of my gigbag. 

Ideally I don't want to spend much on something I don't actually want and was hoping I could get away with being tight and buying a cheaper old tablet. In fact ideally the existing tablets I own would be supported! Besides I'm worried that if I buy a more modern Apple device I'll start wearing skinny jeans and will have to grow a rubbish beard.

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

It's literally just for changing the odd slider a handful of times over the course of a gig for my personal monitor mix, the minis seem to be a bit cheaper locally and on eBay for one in decent condition (ie normal wear but hasn't been thrown out of a moving vehicle). I've checked and a regular one would fit in the laptop pocket of my gigbag. 

Ideally I don't want to spend much on something I don't actually want and was hoping I could get away with being tight and buying a cheaper old tablet. In fact ideally the existing tablets I own would be supported! Besides I'm worried that if I buy a more modern Apple device I'll start wearing skinny jeans and will have to grow a rubbish beard.

Maybe have a look at something like an iPod touch or a phone if you are looking solely at monitor mixes.

The monitor mix app (even though it is the same download) is more responsive as there’s a lot less going on. For example, I have a iPhone 5s that is quite happy for monitor mixes. Obviously it can’t do the whole foh stuff - and also, check which phones can support the newer mf5.1 (if it’s ever released) if you want to continue using it. It’s quite nice having a device you can keep in your back pocket for quick mix adjustments.

• Like 1

The My Fader app rather than Master Fader? Yeah that's all I'll need rather than the whole desk app, the Ipad Mini 2 is the same spec pretty much as the 5S I think but with a higher resolution display. Apparently the latest supported OS is 12.4.3 for it.

Ideally I'd want a small tablet rather than a phone so I can stick it on a mount in a convenient place for quick access. If 5.1 is released then I can run that on my Windows 2in1 hybrid which I already own and flog whatever Apple device I have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Ah right, is there no way to just get the monitor mix on an iPad and get faster basic functionality on a bigger screen?

I don’t think so - typically you’d filter for iPhone apps in the App Store and install an iPhone app onto an iPad... but because they are one and the same app in mf4, I don’t think so. You are stuck with the full fat app on the iPad.

• Like 1

Ok so I managed to snag an iPad Mini 4 with 16gb storage fully working but with a cracked screen for £23, however when it turned up it had magically transformed into an iPad Mini 1 with 64gb storage. It's going back obviously but on Saturday I'm going to trial it with Master Fader 3 and 4 which were still on the App Store, also put My Fader on it which I was able to download by selecting the show iPhone apps thingy so I can see if these are going to be suitable for monitor adjustments.

If it's fast enough with legacy apps and still has the limited functionality I need then it might solve a problem.

Edited by lemmywinks

14 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Ok so I managed to snag an iPad Mini 4 with 16gb storage fully working but with a cracked screen for £23, however when it turned up it had magically transformed into an iPad Mini 1 with 64gb storage. It's going back obviously but on Saturday I'm going to trial it with Master Fader 3 and 4 which were still on the App Store, also put My Fader on it which I was able to download by selecting the show iPhone apps thingy so I can see if these are going to be suitable for monitor adjustments.

If it's fast enough with legacy apps and still has the limited functionality I need then it might solve a problem.

What version of firmware are you running on your DL32R? MyFader was dropped after version 3. If you are running Firmware 4 on your desk, MyFader3 shouldn't connect and complain about a version mismatch. MasterFader4 essentially become the equivalent of MyFader when run on an iPhone/iPod Touch.

Note MasterFader 4 is the latest official release for DL32R. 5.1 is in Beta but not available for general download.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Gonna assume the latest one. messaged guitarist and without checking he thinks it's 4.6.2. Would Master Fader 3 work?

No - it wont connect - it will complain of a firmware/application version mismatch. 4.6.2 is that latest official release.

• Like 1

For just monitors, it may be enough - generally it's a set and forget thing. So those few awkward moments where the responsiveness gets a bit iffy may not be too bad. Of course, you got an iPad mini - so it may be better than my experiences with my old standard iPad.

It's the same spec as an iPad 2 so I'm not holding out much hope!

The monitor mix I have at the moment is largely fine, it's mainly just for having the ability to turn down certain things if they become fatiguing like the snare and guitar, things I could move away from when I used a monitor but am kind of trapped with using in ears. I want it to be accessible quickly which is why I don't want to rely on someone else to do it, will see how it goes anyway.

• Like 1