Why become a member? ×

Unique Circuitry.

pst62

Seriously,  WTF is going on with the tuners? I didn't catch it the first time but on looking again I saw that he's been hacking them. This is going beyond bodging and into the realm of bastardisation......for the sake of it!

The nut is the usual MDP mess. Someone said that he can't do a set-up and this is patently obvious when looking at that nut with the D and G slots at ridiculously low cuts. That thing will be a nightmare to play.

'S' for special? Indeed.

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

Seriously,  WTF is going on with the tuners? I didn't catch it the first time but on looking again I saw that he's been hacking them. This is going beyond bodging and into the realm of bastardisation......for the sake of it!

The nut is the usual MDP mess. Someone said that he can't do a set-up and this is patently obvious when looking at that nut with the D and G slots at ridiculously low cuts. That thing will be a nightmare to play.

'S' for special? Indeed.

Read the blurb, it's all explained here you foolish man...😉

It plays fast and fluently because I re cut and filed the nut so the strings start at a milimicrobe off the fingerboard; meaning they make a note the instant you lay a fingertip on them however lightly you touch.

• Haha 1

On 21/11/2019 at 13:47, NikNik said:

Surely not a great problem with a fretless, as the moment you "Fret" (yes, I know) a string it's going to be touching and vibrating right down to the fretboard anyway.

On 21/11/2019 at 10:19, yorks5stringer said:

I know I said no further comment but...even the premise behind the string swap is flawed. It is not 'tradition' that favours a flatwound but practicality, as a roundwound will over time wear grooves into a rosewood/pf fretboard, especially with the action at a 'milimicrobe'(btw what is that?)....

Many professional fretles players use round wound, so not quite as clear cut as you state.

1 hour ago, Count Bassy said:

Many professional fretles players use round wound, so not quite as clear cut as you state.

It was not me who said 'tradition favours a flatwound' and that was my point given that pros will usually use proper fretless ebony boards which resist the action of roundwounds. The bass being sold has a rosewood board (if my memory serves me right) which will not resist flatwounds as well.

• Like 1

Little know fact;

Mr Phillips actually rents his work space from an associate and close friend of mine.  

Coincidentally, the two of them are in a similar line of work and often share their expertise and experience with one another...

I've got an old photo of my dear friend, it was taken a few years back but you may still recognise him...

5115412-l1.jpg

• Like 1

On 28/11/2019 at 17:44, NikNik said:

And I forgot  - he's gone back to using that anachronistic Metric term 'Milimicrobe'. He hasn't used that for quite some time!

Yep. Very tiny germs. The instrument's riddled with them. It would be more appropriate were the additional line on the back of the headstock to announce "Butchered in East Sussex...

• Like 1