Why become a member? ×

Unique Circuitry.

pst62

8 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

vive la difference?

Mind there's something  here I've always thought the big companies should do: where you have a mini selector switch, label it so the user knows whether single or double coil is selected.

‘Cos guitarists look at the switches when they’re playing?

Some manufacturers (Cort, Rickenbacker) put removable overlays on their control panels. 

Also looking at the string height at the nut and again on the fretboard pic above it looks like that action at the 12th is seriously high whereas it look like it will buzz like hell at the lower frets as it is so low. You can see half his workshop under that E string.

The G string is pretty much touching the fretboard:
s-l1600.jpg

I don't think he knows how to set instruments up despite the bluster.

Edited by lemmywinks

Two of the tuners have the backplate hacked and all of them have the tuning key bodged into a Mickey Mouse head, his new thing seems to be making the tuning key progressively smaller from E to G which doesn't make any sense. Seems like another solution to a problem that doesn't exist and an excuse to alter a bass for no real reason.

I thought he had reigned in the hyperbole but then I scrolled down. I reproduce it with no further comment:

You might notice on the head I have spread the tuners because I like this look and also I like the extra knuckle space between the tuner paddles... and I progressively reduced the size of the tuner paddles from the low E to the high G.

It plays fast and fluently because I re cut and filed the nut so the strings start at a milimicrobe off the fingerboard; meaning they make a note the instant you lay a fingertip on them however lightly you touch.

I know tradition prefers tape-wound strings on fretless basses, but I like round-wound strings and they are mostly what I have in stock... if you prefer flat-wound strings let me know when you buy it and I will get and fit a set FOC.

26 minutes ago, prowla said:

Complete baloney (bar the string swap comment, of course). 

I know I said no further comment but...even the premise behind the string swap is flawed. It is not 'tradition' that favours a flatwound but practicality, as a roundwound will over time wear grooves into a rosewood/pf fretboard, especially with the action at a 'milimicrobe'(btw what is that?)....

I also like the 'extra knuckle space'  suggestion; Fender have been doing it  4 in a straight line for years, has evolution bred a sub-species bassist with huge knuckles now? Maybe he just had a damaged Tuner in stock...?

Why would your knuckes impede your ability to tune a Fender style bass with its massive tuning keys? Surely you turn them with your fingers and your knuckles don't get in the way of anything, in fact reducing the size of the tuning keys (paddles?) and making them an awkward un-ergonomic shape would make them more difficult to use would it not? Especially if you position the G string tuner pointing away from the player so the hand is forced into an uncomfortable angle.

I don't really get this "for blokes with big hands" nonsense, I'm tall with big mitts and it's just not an issue and never has been. It's not like being a big bloke suddenly means you have no articulation in your digits and have to resort to flailing around like an uncoordinated maniac hitting musical instruments with your knuckles and elbows or whatever.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I don't really get this "for blokes with big hands" nonsense, I'm tall with big mitts and it's just not an issue and never has been. It's not like being a big bloke suddenly means you have no articulation in your digits and have to resort to flailing around like an uncoordinated maniac hitting musical instruments with your knuckles and elbows or whatever.

Very well put. The awful irony of MDP's "creations" is that, were he simply to give instruments a good clean and fit a new set of strings, he would be able to sell them far more easily and avoid all the ridicule (I assume he is picking them up cheap). More evidence of his insanity, I guess...

This one looks like it has had minimal effort put into it tbh, I expect a fair few of us have done a not so great defret at some point in our lives (I have!) but if you had a large workshop full of tools then you could easily make it good again. Get rid of that filler, saw out the fret slots, tidy up the chips and fit proper wood inserts would be an option, just using rosewood dust and glue would be another. These things don't take up too much time and aren't particularly difficult if you have the tools and space, even getting one of those furniture touch up pen sets and matching the filler to the fretboard would improve the look of it.

My cheapo fretless acoustic bass is originally a filler job and it looks a lot better than that one, in fact the colour is matched so from 1m away you can't tell it's not an unlined board. All done with just rosewood dust, glue, sandpaper, touch up pens and wood stain.