Why become a member? ×

2 piece vs 3 piece body

Tvrtastic

I’m thinking that the answer is probably “nothing”, “very little” or “nadda”, but I thought I’d ask anyway. 

I’m just about to buy a guitarbuild PB body (alder) and I’m pondering whether to buy 2 or 3 piece. 

Cost difference is negligible and as I intend to paint it black I’m not bothered about the grain.

My thinking is that a 3 piece, with its center block and ‘wings’ is tonally better than 2 piece with the join split through the neck? 

I know that necks are often constructed as a laminate, but I’m assuming that this is to help tone and torsion etc that would not apply to body.  Let’s face it most Fenders except CS are 3/5/+ piece.  

I get there will be many many other factors in the build that will impact more than this, but I thought I’d throw it out to the BC collective before I commit to the order.  

Now the discussion is about a bass that has a bolt-on neck. If the neck is good, the body only has to be stable. That's it. Probably the paint has as much to do with the sound as the body. @ped had the meaningful comment about the weight. My choice would be the lighter one. But that's me. I just don't happen to like bodies with too much fat.