Why become a member? ×

UPS - Beware

GreeneKing

15 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Makes total sense. Sorry if my reply came across as condescending, I didn’t mean it too. I don’t know the specifics here.

I’ve had a few disagreements with people who want me to shop items I wasn’t prepared to and that’s clouded my view.

I'm louth to post cabs myself. I had one arrive in Cornwall damaged. Thankfully Interparcel stumped up the price of a new driver. No not the UPS driver :D

1 hour ago, GreeneKing said:

My main reason for posting is not to apportion blame, refuse responsibility or rant but to prevent others from making the same costly mistake.

Peter

I appreciate this as a few years ago when I had a lot of basses through the door I used to sneak larger parcels through to save money (yeah I know, I'm part of the problem!), IIRC they had limits which were slightly too small to fit a full size bass with the neck on. Will definitely be checking for any radical differences in the future.

UPS charging that amount to handle what is essentially a slightly larger box is nuts though.

I once advertised a cheap combo cab as "collection only" but then a buyer persuaded me to ship it for him, even though I didn't want to.

I had just bought my new smaller cabs, so thought I would hack up the boxes to make a big one.  Once I had spent ages doing this and taping them up, all the extra polystyrene padding made the dimensions a size that made shipping more expensive than the cab itself.

In the end, the buyer agreed to me packing it just as a cardboard sleeve over the cab to get the dimensions down for cheaper delivery.  I seem to remember it was a giant cost difference between a few cm in length/height.  However, it meant I had to go out buy a load more gaffa tape and spend a whole night cutting/taping up more boxes.  I think he had only offered about £10 over the postage amount for packaging, so I'm pretty sure I ended up making a loss on the postage costs if you totted up all the extra stuff I had to buy and petrol to get it etc.  I also accidentally went through the cardboard to the carpet with the Stanley knife which cost me later with my landlord when I moved out...

I was massively panicking over the cab getting damaged with such a thin layer of packing.  It got there and the buyer contacted me to say it was dead.  Luckily it turned out to be that a spade connector had fallen off, but shows the knocks it must have had in transit as I'd never had that happen before.   

I'm not blaming the buyer as it was my first time doing this so was a learning curve for me, but what I learned was never to do it again!  

• Like 1