Jump to content
fretmeister

Knob removal. Oo-er missus.

Recommended Posts

I am fed up with the gold knobs on my Mark Bass. They are shiny gold with little gold indents in them.

Cannot see the settings unless I'm about 3 inches from the front panel and even then if the light is wrong I have to use a finger to detect where the indent is.

If anyone from Mark Bass is on here - seriously, give your head a wobble and change the design a bit.

 

But, I can't get the knobs off! I've given them a good pull and they won't shift. They are installed slightly into the control panel so I cannot get anything under them.

 

Any ideas? Or am I going to have to just use pliers and risk chewing up the knobs?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try 2 heavy picks. Slide tips under the knob, and then lift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Try 2 heavy picks. Slide tips under the knob, and then lift.

No room - the knobs are slightly sunk into the front panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 strips of cloth. Slide under each side then cross the strips and pull?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for the doodle... but this shows what I mean

59732FC3-C155-4E56-A485-F22214CDE506.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be wary of applying too much force. The pots are probably soldered straigh onto the main PCB, if so it would be easy to break the connection by applying too much force to the knob.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel your pain. I have an Ashdown pedal that originally had similar polished knobs. Under most lighting conditions it was impossible to tell where they were set. I changed them ASAP.

I haven't any useful advice to add, but good luck with your replacement efforts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HazBeen said:

2 strips of cloth. Slide under each side then cross the strips and pull?

I've seen something similar on YouTube (can't remember what video it was now) where they used a flat (rather than a round) shoe lace to wrap around the shaft below the knob and then pull the lace up slowly but firmly to remove the knob. Is there room to squeeze a flat shoe lace around the recess?

More innuendos are available on request. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Osiris said:

I've seen something similar on YouTube (can't remember what video it was now) where they used a flat (rather than a round) shoe lace to wrap around the shaft below the knob and then pull the lace up slowly but firmly to remove the knob. Is there room to squeeze a flat shoe lace around the recess?

More innuendos are available on request. 

No - it's really tight.

 

I might email MB and ask them. And tell them how stupid the knobs are. Anything reflective for use in a stage light environment is stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

No - it's really tight.

 

I might email MB and ask them. And tell them how stupid the knobs are. Anything reflective for use in a stage light environment is stupid.

Failing that, what about marking the daft knobs with some tippex, a marker pen, a sliver of electrical tape or something similar? Something that can easily be removed should you decide you don't like it or wish to sell the amp on? 

But yeah, shiny knobs and fascias might look cool in the shop but are useless on stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Osiris said:

 

But yeah, shiny knobs and fascias might look cool in the shop but are useless on stage. 

 

There's an Ashdown RM500 head in one of the rehearsal studios I use... ugh. Nice sounding amp, but that mirror face... whose idea was that??? It's great if I want to retouch my make up, but it's a pain if I want to read which knob does what.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likewise, I recently picked up a Fender Downtown Express pre-amp, it's a cracking sounding unit with a great EQ and drive section but it's a shiny anaemic gold colour, that subtle shade of yellow you only see in the contents of discarded plastic pop bottles by the side of the road. And as if that isn't awesome enough, the font is white. On a shiny washed out gold background. Really?

Edited by Osiris
Illiteracy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mcnach said:

 

There's an Ashdown RM500 head in one of the rehearsal studios I use... ugh. Nice sounding amp, but that mirror face... whose idea was that??? It's great if I want to retouch my make up, but it's a pain if I want to read which knob does what.

Maybe that is why they changed to a matt escutcheon on the RM500 Evo Mk2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True. The mirror front plate doesn't bother me, as I normally don't change my settings during a gig, but I do have to peer at it and squint before the gig to make sure the settings are where they should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...