Why become a member? ×

Norman Watt-Roy

stewblack

Anyone know if Norm is still gigging with the Blockheads? They're just down the road from us at the weekend and I'm not giging, but as much as I love them and have enjoyed watching them since Ian Dury passed, my £20 would only fight it's way from my wallet so I could stand gazing at one of my bass heroes.

image.png.b4e940b7a5e5cd68c5a7dff832d766fe.png

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Anyone know if Norm is still gigging with the Blockheads? They're just down the road from us at the weekend and I'm not giging, but as much as I love them and have enjoyed watching them since Ian Dury passed, my £20 would only fight it's way from my wallet so I could stand gazing at one of my bass heroes.

image.png.b4e940b7a5e5cd68c5a7dff832d766fe.png

I thought he was playing with Wilko Johnson a while back.

I'm not sure if he's with The Blockheads anymore... :(

• Sad 1

He is listed as the bass player on their facebook page,  there was a video of him in june saying they were gigging that week, he is in all their publicity photos and there isn't anything that says he has left. So it would seem he is still there.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I really like Normans playing, I see them back in the day, they were great, and he also played an Alembic 🙂

914F1B78-9FE8-4346-8508-D81AC73068F5.jpeg

Not only did he play an Alembic, he also had a coffee table made in the shape of an enormous Strat headstock.  That's success for you.

Like Mick above, I'm very glad he's still with us after the "stall" he had.

Several years ago Wilko was playing near me and Norman was the bassist for the tour. I went specifically to watch him. Unfortunately when I got there he hadn't been able to make it and there was another guy standing in. I stayed for about 10 minutes and went home; sadly I was never really a fan of Wilko’s music. 

The way i look at it, and I know this sounds morbid, we may not get many more chances to actually see these great bass players in the flesh. Phil Lynott and John Entwhistle are gone, Bruce Thomas seems to have virtually retired. Bruce Foxton, Jean-Jaques and Norman enriched my life from when I first started out. These are the guys who inspired and motivated me to play bass. I'd hate to miss any opportunity to see them play.

• Like 6

Just now, stewblack said:

The way i look at it, and I know this sounds morbid, we may not get many more chances to actually see these great bass players in the flesh. Phil Lynott and John Entwhistle are gone, Bruce Thomas seems to have virtually retired. Bruce Foxton, Jean-Jaques and Norman enriched my life from when I first started out. These are the guys who inspired and motivated me to play bass. I'd hate to miss any opportunity to see them play.

I get that. I still can’t believe I’ll never get to see Chris Squire or Lemmy again, never mind John. I’m just grateful that I got to see them at all. 

1 hour ago, alant said:

I remember seeing a great, but not very well known band in the seventies called Glenco. Found out a few years later that a few of them became The Blockheads including Norman.

Glencoe played at Friars in Aylesbury around 1972/1973 and at the same time Ian Dury’s band (Kilburn and the High Roads) used to play Friars.....maybe that’s where NWR met Ian Dury ?

• Like 1