Why become a member? ×

Had to leave my band

Lozz196

Lozz, I only met you for a matter of minutes while buying a cab but I "know" you from here and can tell how hard a decision this must have been. Mental and physical health often come hand in hand, and are difficult to recover if things aren't right. I hope you can keep going with bands on a schedule that suits you better so you get your fix of performance but without the pressure. Best of luck to you mate. 

12 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Blimey Lozz, I never realised just how punishing your band schedule was, I feel for ye bud, but rest assured a man of your calibre won't be bandless for long, its just a case of finding the right balance.  Congrats for getting to where you are now, and good luck for the future.

^^ This! 

Wishing you the best with it all Lozz.. 

Difficult a decision as it must have been, your health and wellbeing is the most important thing. 

Sounds like you've got some great memories to hold onto from your time in the band and a sense of real achievement too.. 

No doubt, in a few months time, you'll be onto your next musical adventure! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Commiserations fella. I left my previous bands as they were gigging more than I wanted to and the drummer in the current band has recently had to quit due to health issues and no longer plays at all. Hopefully you might find a better balance that still allows you to do some gigs but not at the intensity you were recently faced with. All the best.

Sorry to hear this Lozz.  You've always been so upbeat and enthusiastic about your band that it must have been really tough call however your personal well-being is what really matters.  I can empathise with you as I had to do the same some years ago.  Rest assured something will pop up that will enable you to continue playing whist still maintaining a sensible music/life balance.

funnily enough I was just thinking this morning that we might finally meet at Butlins in February, guess it's not meant to be.

One of the reasons why Knock Off have been successful and my band hasn't is your willingness to slog round the originals circuit when we never fancied it, it's tough, especially if you're trying to hold down a regular job as well.

All the best for the future

Not a nice decision to have to make. But you will know best and need to listen to your mind and body. I have to admit that even my relatively easy gigging life (I never exceed 30-40 gigs a year and rarely play outside of the country) is sometimes very challenging to combine with work and famliy etc so I can imagine the toll doing this more often en more internationally would take.  

All the best and here's hoping you find balance!

Edited by HazBeen

I used to play with a jazz band in the Bilbao area until a couple of years ago. Something totally amateur, just local gigs for fun and a few euro.

I have two children and a 9 to 6 job. I managed to get into the local music school to learn upright and that was it: I had to quit the band due to total lack of time. It was bad, the other band members were some real buddies to me and I loved playing with them. I thought I would miss it so badly.

I don't. Before I realized it was a part of myself that I had left behind for good. I am way too busy to miss it, as much as I loved it before. My life has other priorities that occupy my mind and make me feel good.

Taking into account the personal situation that you describe, I am pretty sure that this will pan out for you in the same way. A hard decision, people that you love, the excitement of a gig... Once you start feeling better with your overall life it will be a sweet memory, but you will have better things moving on and you won't miss it that much.

• Like 1

Sad to hear!

Of all the folk on here, you've always belonged to the small group who seem musically and personally in synch with their band.

Ultimately though, nothing is worth wrecking yourself over. Retreat, regroup, recover and see where it takes you.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Gutted Lozz, we’ve always seen how into the band you were.

Kinda been there myself, had to stop playing with great people and hang up my bass nearly 10 years ago due to long-standing health issues - I get how stinky poo it must be right now. 

Hopefully when you’re ready you can maybe set up your own thing, on your own terms, less exhausting, but back on stage one way or another.  Best of luck. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2019 at 19:07, Al Krow said:

Gutted to hear that Lozz. Really hope you find something music-wise when you're ready, that's more compatible with a work & life balance that is going to suit you and let you thrive.

So sorry to hear about your decision @Lozz196 but it sounds like, in your heart of hearts, it’s the right one for you at this moment in time. As others have said, I’m sure that you’ll find an outlet which gives you the buzz of playing to a room full of people who are loving it but which is sympathetic to whatever balance you need for your physical and mental health.

• Like 1

Sad news about the band but on a plus side the next chapter awaits you.

Sounds like you've achieved what you always wanted with the band and its time to turn the page.

Take it easy and i'm sure something a little less stressful and demanding awaits you with a new band.

Huge respect for making such a difficult decision for the right reasons.

All the very best.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

you have made a brave decision (and IMO the correct decision)

Mental health is overlooked by many people.

I'm 51 and this year will have completed only 42 gigs. This is my lowest amount in 30 years of gigging.

It leaves me much less knackered, stress free and mentally in a much better place

Enjoy your break Lozz, you owe it to yourself

• Like 1

There's nothing to say really , as the posts above and below sum everything up

you have managed to stand back and assess what's right for you .

Enjoy the time off Lozz  and  at least you know now that you will feel better doing things on your terns  , whatever you decide what to to and how you're doing it . 
all the best 😼

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies and support peoples, it’s really appreciated. To update I did my last gig as a substantive member of the band last night, not too many details as it’s in the gig last night topic for anyone interested, but was a gig I’d really wanted to do, in Hamburg with friends of ours. I’m sad it’s over but I’ve had 6 wonderful years in the band, I’m looking back at the whole period with a smile 😃 

DEA69A68-848C-428F-86CE-CEC5AEF1AA04.jpeg

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 11

On 31/12/2019 at 20:14, seashell said:

Aw Lozz, I missed your original post back in November. So glad your last gig with that band was a good 'un. All the best for the future, whatever direction it takes you x 

Yoiks, I missed it too! (Unfortunately that's an indication of my poor timing all round I'm afraid). The whole BC community is here for you Lozz and hoping you continue to enjoy chatting with us as you step back from major gigging. Wishing you a very happy and healthy New Year mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1