Why become a member? ×

Had to leave my band

Lozz196

As title says, I’ve had to leave my band due to health reasons. Nothing serious or life-threatening, I’ve just realised that I can’t hack the gigging all over the country/in Europe whilst holding down a full time job, it’s just taking its toll on me. I don’t sleep well due to a back injury and the long hours travelling means I feel stinky poo virtually all the time when regularly gigging due to being knackered all the time.

As I suffer with depression at times I’ve come to the realisation that my moods are linked very much to how I’m feeling physically, and when I’m not gigging/exhausted and going to the gym regularly I feel great. I can’t do this during periods of regular gigging due to needing rest, so when regularly gigging I pretty much do nothing apart from work/rest/gig. And we gig pretty much all the time.

The annoying thing is is that when I’m feeling exhausted through gigging the only time I feel good is when I’m on stage - the very thing that is causing me to feel bad, a real chicken & egg situation.

So I’ve decided to leave, in fact the decision was made a few months back and the guys were told then, I  don’t feel great about it but for the sake of my physical and mental health, plus the sake of the band - we signed up with a German record company this year who have put out our 4th album, meaning more European work - it was a decision I had to take. I’ve done almost everything I’ve ever dreamed of musically in this band, other than play in the USA, and it means the world to me so to say I’m gutted is a real understatement. To get through it I’m looking at it along the same lines of a footballer whose legs have gone and can no longer play at the same level, age has finally caught up with me.

• Like 5
  • Sad 35

Blimey Lozz, I never realised just how punishing your band schedule was, I feel for ye bud, but rest assured a man of your calibre won't be bandless for long, its just a case of finding the right balance.  Congrats for getting to where you are now, and good luck for the future.

All the best Lozz, you've been able to 'live the dream' and are now moving on to the next phase of your life.

I've always enjoyed your posts on here, your attitude to what you do and your audience is brilliant.

Edited by Len_derby

29 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

for the sake of my physical and mental health, plus the sake of the band....it was a decision I had to take.

There's the crux of this....you have to look after yourself.

Hard decision to make but you might find it wasn't the wrong one...

• Like 3

Awwww Lozz man, yours were some of the most inspiring 'How Was Your Gig Last night' posts, it must be tough to have to call it a day on that one.

All the very best for the future, I hope you can find a compromise band/gig that is still fulfilling without being as punishing as the pretty much full time stuff has become. You have the satisfaction of knowing you've done it all, though; you've achieved an awful lot and you've left it on a high...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Gutted to hear that Lozz. Really hope you find something music-wise when you're ready, that's more compatible with a work & life balance that is going to suit you and let you thrive.

+1 on this Lozz. 

That was a very tough and brave decision to make. I’m sure with your skills something closer to home with less pressure will come along when you’re ready. 👍🏻 As my missus says “everything for a reason”. 

Well that sucks! However, you have achieved more than most and are making this hard decision for the right reasons, this can only lead to increased well being and, by association, better things. All credit to you on a tough call.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Well that sucks! However, you have achieved more than most and are making this hard decision for the right reasons, this can only lead to increased well being and, by association, better things. All credit to you on a tough call.

Exactly this. All the best to you Lozz. 👍

A true shame that you've had to give up but you have to trust yourself to know what's best for you. Going to the gym is key of course, as you've identified. If I have a heavy couple of weeks at work and I miss the gym I feel lazy and lose all my energy. You have to use a little to get a lot. 

Really sorry to hear this Lozz. Every time I have read your posts regarding your band, you were always positive re the band and seemed to be enjoying yourself. It`s sad that your health is a deciding factor in you giving it up but you are doing the right thing.

I hope you find something local that will have a less demanding schedule and will keep you playing. :hi: