Why become a member? ×

Zoom MS-60B Problem

stewblack

Any ideas gratefully received on the following. When I assigned a letter to a patch or series of patches all is well, pedal behaves, stomp on the switch and voila! The next patch is selected. However if I want simply to use it as a stomp box (patch on, stomp, patch off) things take on a less predictable air. 

Sometimes I get the patch whether it's on or off, sometimes I get one or other of the individual effects within that patch, regardless of whether it's on or off, and sometimes it works just fine as you'd expect it to. 

Is there a fix? Am I doing something wrong? I did update the firmware other than that I have just followed the manual. 

More information: I've reloaded the firmeware and tried it with other power sources. problem persists.

The problem is in fact more nuanced than I thought. When multiple effects are in a patch, stomping only turns off the effect on screen and not the whole patch. Is this perhaps the issue? If I want to use it as a simple stomp can I only have one effect loaded? Would make some kind of sense I suppose but I had hoped to have the thumpinator setting at the front of all the effects. perhaps i can't do this.

21 hours ago, stewblack said:

More information: I've reloaded the firmeware and tried it with other power sources. problem persists.

The problem is in fact more nuanced than I thought. When multiple effects are in a patch, stomping only turns off the effect on screen and not the whole patch. Is this perhaps the issue? If I want to use it as a simple stomp can I only have one effect loaded?

It's doing what it's supposed to do. When the memory list is open (ie you've pressed down the middle button) it will scroll through the list. If the memory list is closed (press the middle button again) it will turn on and off the effect shown on the display (as it says on page 4 of the manual).

When you load a patch from the memory, the effect that appears in the display will be the effect that was in the display when you saved the patch. If you want two effects, one to stay on all the time and the other to be toggled with the footswitch, you need to save it with the effect you want to toggle visible in the display. You can only stomp one effect although you can have up to 4 in the patch.

If you want to toggle more than one effect, there is no 'loop' so you need to save two patch memories, one with the effects on and another with the effects off, and then use the memory list to switch between them. The B3 / B3N does this kind of thing better than the MS-60B .

Not sure what firmware you have, but there is no thumpinator option in the one I have.

Hi @pete.young and thank you. I read that pesky manual but somehow didn't grasp that pointy. But I appreciate the clarification, as far as the Thumpinator goes it's not exactly that - but more of a way of producing a similar result.

There are active threads on the subject where others explain this better than I can.

Here's one i started earlier

It is possible to use the stomp switch to bypass the entire 'chain' of effect blocks in a patch; to do this you just need to set the 'Line select' effect as the first effect block in the patch's chain.
Having done this, when you're in 'play' mode (ie not the patch list), the stomp switch will bypass the whole chain as required.

Hope this makes sense - I can elaborate further if needed! :)

Edited by paulbuzz

12 hours ago, paulbuzz said:

It is possible to use the stomp switch to bypass the entire 'chain' of effect blocks in a patch; to do this you just need to set the 'Line select' effect as the first effect block in the patch's chain.
Having done this, when you're in 'play' mode (ie not the patch list), the stomp switch will bypass the whole chain as required.

Hope this makes sense - I can elaborate further if needed! :)

Good shout. this occurred to me too as a work around, always on pedal first in chain, then on-off effect second with the second one showing. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1