Why become a member? ×

Gigging Accessory Sources

Happy Jack

When Jack and I drove away from our local(-ish) Lidl having bought a couple of those extensions, we imagined Lidl warehouse managers all over the country scratching their heads, wondering why there had been a spike in sales of that particular item in the last couple of days, but no corresponding increase in sales of their Christmas lights... 😁

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

I've just bought this as my Gretsch does not fit any of my other stands due to the width of it:https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_gs_3500_b.htm

However I now need a case for it, so after 'fishing' around on eBay this camera tripod case came up: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392267235904

They're good stands, I have one, but no  case... 

Stand looks great VFM Stew, it just says unsuitable for nitro finish instruments. This will be down to the foam they use which reacts with nitro finishes and damages the guitar where it touches. I’ve seen a few Gibsons with marks on the neck and base where this has happened.  See if you can check the spec of any instruments you have to ensure this isn’t the case. These days most basses and guitars tend to have poly finishes which won’t be affected by this, but some companies like Gibson still uses nitro for their instruments. Fender Custom Shop stuff use it for authenticity too, not sure about Gretsch but would imagine their top end stuff may be nitro as well.

21 minutes ago, casapete said:

Stand looks great VFM Stew, it just says unsuitable for nitro finish instruments. This will be down to the foam they use which reacts with nitro finishes and damages the guitar where it touches. I’ve seen a few Gibsons with marks on the neck and base where this has happened.  See if you can check the spec of any instruments you have to ensure this isn’t the case. These days most basses and guitars tend to have poly finishes which won’t be affected by this, but some companies like Gibson still uses nitro for their instruments. Fender Custom Shop stuff use it for authenticity too, not sure about Gretsch but would imagine their top end stuff may be nitro as well.

OK thank you, I'm not really up on this side of things, appreciate the heads up 

• Like 1

Also rifle bags are sometimes a good fit as gig bags for smaller basses.  I have a scoped rifle bag that is a perfect fit for a Mustang and others that are excellent for the Hohner B2A sized cricket bats.

I suppose you might have to be careful if you keep Googling rifle bags, don't want Black Ops boshing in your front and back doors in a coordinated raid.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I suppose you might have to be careful if you keep Googling rifle bags, don't want Black Ops boshing in your front and back doors in a coordinated raid.

Funny you should say that. I work in Hatton Garden, and i used to do a lot of early morning shifts. One morning, around 5.30 i was happily walking up the street when a police car screeched to a halt and pulled over,  and they were quite agitated when they got out. I had my Steinberger headless bass with me, and yes, they thought it was a weapon. They made me open it carefully and when there were convinced it was a bass (I'd have thought on first sight, but no, they had to inspect it) they walked me to work and waited for me to go in. 

Funny when i look back on it, not so funny at the time. 

• Haha 1

I experienced something similar (but much less fraught) back in the 80s when a policeman stopped me with a Hohner B2B in case. He apologised, saying he had to check as it could be an offensive weapon. To which I replied “Some would say that, in my hands, it is.”

He didn’t laugh, but at least I wasn’t cavity searched or anything.

2 hours ago, SICbass said:

I experienced something similar (but much less fraught) back in the 80s when a policeman stopped me with a Hohner B2B in case. He apologised, saying he had to check as it could be an offensive weapon. To which I replied “Some would say that, in my hands, it is.”

He didn’t laugh, but at least I wasn’t cavity searched or anything.

Yeah, i made a similar remark and it didnt go down well at all. 

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I had my Steinberger headless bass with me, and yes, they thought it was a weapon.

I've been asked several times if my Steinberger gig bag has a gun in it. Not by Mr Plod though.

Which made the bag searches at this year's LBGS all the more daft. I wandered in and out several times for a bit of air and to let my hearing recover. Every sodding time, they insisted on looking in my handbag which had just enough room for my vape, purse and phone, and my hippie rucksack which held a bottle of water, the show programme and a set of cans. Not once did they ask to look in the bag on my back which could easily have been concealing a self-loading rifle. Security theatre at its most tedious.

Edited by lozkerr
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, casapete said:

The Gretsch is not Nitro as it is a Korean one from last year, my only Nitro finish is on the neck of my 1972 Telebass which does not touch the legs anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I won't risk a rifle bag in the current climate. They may shoot first ask questions later 

Good thinking, but... not long after the stabbings at London Bridge yesterday, I had to get the train home. I had a wee wait at the Kross, carrying the Steinberger, and walked right past a group of eight coppers. None of them gave me a second glance.

Having said that, if I'd been an Asian guy in his twenties instead of a white woman in her fifties, it might have been a different story.

Edited by lozkerr
  • Like 1