Why become a member? ×

Gigging Accessory Sources

Happy Jack

A whole new type of GAS. Not basses and amps and pedals - there's a whole forum of that stuff outside this thread. This is for all the other bits and pieces that make a musician's life easier or more enjoyable.

I'll kick it off with this.

I'm gigging a fair bit just now, and having the gear that I need distributed amongst a bunch of randomly-accumulated, anonymous bags and cases (all of them black) is making set-up and break-down more stressful than it should be.

Solution? Revert to one of my favourite websites ... https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/

Ignore the rods, reels and bait sections, head straight for the bags and luggage. For every bass player in the UK there are a dozen guitarists; for every guitarist in the UK there are a dozen anglers. Their kit is produced in huge quantities (so it's cheap), it has to withstand weeks of being kicked about on muddy riverbanks (so it's waterproof and rugged), and anglers are every bit as vocal and obsessed as musicians (so it's reliable).

Today I am happy to recommend the Guru Fusion 400 as an excellent way to carry (for example) two vocal mics, a voice processor pedal with power supply, and a headset mic. And be able to see the contents even when it's closed.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/guru-fusion-400-bait-pro-case?_sgm_campaign=scn_849ee64608000&_sgm_source=KD16041407&_sgm_action=click

[Ignore the Fusion 300 in this example.]

Similarly, the Drennan Vis Case is ideal for holding (for example) everything one might need to connect a DB to a PA ... 10M instrument cable, HPF300 with power supply, patch leads, etc. Again, the ability to see at a glance what's inside is a huge bonus when setting up in a crowded pub.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/drennan-vis-case

No, I have no connection with Angling Direct, and no, I am not an angler. But before you buy your next piece of branded, over-priced musical baggery you could do worse than to check out what's available from a coarse fisherman ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I love this kind of thing! I've been using suitcases from charity shops for a while now. My favourite is styled like an oversized school satchel and holds  a square pedal board perfectly. Into the flap/pocket on the front I slid some big airwrap packaging so my pedals are protected from bumps. 

My most recent purchase came from Lidl middle aisle. It's a four socket extension lead designed with Christmas light enthusiasts in mind. Instead of one block of four sockets these are daisy chained a metre or so apart. Now when rocking up at awkward pub venues with only one bloody socket instead of plugging in a 4 gang which everyone else must then try to get to, I can lay out my lidl lead and sockets can be found at easy to access intervals. 

Screenshot_20191116_102803.thumb.jpg.ff12e6d0545bd74b803dab05130816e5.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 17

4 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

What's an HPF300? Sounds interesting but couldn't find anything Googling.

The FDeck (Francis Deck) High Pass Filter pedal, or one of the available clones thereof. Extremely simple way to reduce or eradicate feedback from a DB by rolling off the sub-audible frequencies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

A drummer friend uses plumbers/tool bags from DIY stores instead of traps cases.

I use mainly Rolson toolbags for carrying my gear around. 

https://cpc.farnell.com/rolson-tools/68283/bag-tool-13pkt-18-long/dp/SG32779?mckv=sEFmCMEfE_dc|pcrid|224699680447|kword||match||plid||slid||product|SG32779|pgrid|49812616027|ptaid|pla-399482536964|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SHOPPING&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2b7uBRDsARIsAEE9XpFpNoIHHPdK7qb1hXwO0PqGIunb2WwfoPYHaBqXJy7oV65y2_Y_lqgaAtryEALw_wcB

Their bright yellow colour makes them (1) easy to spot in a dark corner of a pub, and (2) easy to spot when someone tries to walk off with one.

Plus of course they're incredibly hard-wearing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I love this kind of thing! I've been using suitcases from charity shops for a while now. My favourite is styled like an oversized school satchel and holds  a square pedal board perfectly. Into the flap/pocket on the front I slid some big airwrap packaging so my pedals are protected from bumps. 

My most recent purchase came from Lidl middle aisle. It's a four socket extension lead designed with Christmas light enthusiasts in mind. Instead of one block of four sockets these are daisy chained a metre or so apart. Now when rocking up at awkward pub venues with only one bloody socket instead of plugging in a 4 gang which everyone else must then try to get to, I can lay out my lidl lead and sockets can be found at easy to access intervals. 

That’s genius!

I love a good accessory me :)

• Like 1

Just now, Jus Lukin said:

I've taped mics to stands in the absence of a clip, but not found a good replacement for the stand itself. The guy who had a chain welded straight for a mic stand probably doesn't count as a hack. It was likely more expensive and impractical than just buying a stand! Looked the part, though.

I know Basschat is often blamed for inspiring flamboyant purchses but I never imagined it would be responsible for getting me to buy a £6.99 extension chord. I'll take it along tonight, as I know the power is all on one side at the venue. Good call Stew!

YAY!

I attach this image.png.bf401d458e84a6fbadf749ca89101416.pngto this image.png.7c9bdbd847b3b21895915638116a0527.png

with this image.png.99523d4cbfccbc3e527de9ba5f6dd0b5.png still on that image.png.c3beb81bf1a655f66c899f47320378c1.pngto weigh it down.

Then at the end of the night there is no stand to pack away and the heavy thing is still on the wheelie thing and ready (literally) to roll. Now if there was a way to grow a mic stand out of the wheelie thing then possibly

this image.png.068e6b443d623d083243b8e3c3217536.png could sit on this image.png.7c9bdbd847b3b21895915638116a0527.pngand weigh it down

whilst being protected by that image.png.9f08df80486a18315f894915779ed798.png from drunken punters.

The main problem is it would be image.png.6e8c66d521a9cc4f9a83bc46fa0918fe.pngas sin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

All good - but white power cables across stages? Vom.

1 Bass and quality gig bag, combo, 2 leads (1 as spare) extension lead, spare set of strings and a carrier bag lol.....had a few looks when turned up at auditions and rehearsals, gigs in the past....but made a joke of me been a 'Budget Bassist' always seemed to go alright.

Edited by thebigyin
  • Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 10:13, stewblack said:

Thanks for the heads-up on this, I've just got back from lidl with a bag full of biscuits, crisps, and one of these very handy looking cables

• Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 10:13, stewblack said:

My most recent purchase came from Lidl middle aisle. It's a four socket extension lead designed with Christmas light enthusiasts in mind. Instead of one block of four sockets these are daisy chained a metre or so apart. 

I too have joined the lidl daisy chain extension cable club (the club name needs work)!