Why become a member? ×

Headphones for mixing, mastering? Studio work

SH73

After an extensive research on headphones I still can't decide what to get. To start with , my Onkyo ED- Phon3s are falling apart after less than a year use. They don't leave house and are not very comfortable...

My old Sony headphones, closed back are however very comfortable and sound well at a fraction of the price.

My budget is between £100-£200. I looked up Sony MDR 2506 and 2509. 

Audio technica Ath M50 x

Beyerdynamic dt 880 and 990 semi close back

And so on.

Headphones are needed for mixing, mastering, so they must be comfortable, and a  good dynamic range.

Any ideas please?

This question is just like asking, what is the best bicycle saddle. Those who have ridden a lot, do understand this point.

No. Not a single one. This is so personal, so go to a store and try as many as possible. Choose the pair that feels and sounds most suitable for you. Remeber to use the music, the song that you know very well.

I like Stax, but your preference is certainly different.

Edited by itu

Sennheiser HD 600...you might find on Ebay these days and cheaper than when they came out some time ago.

I also use KRK  KNS-8400, much cheaper than Sennheiser and pretty good listening value.

Edited by mybass

Well, I can say that Stax makes fine, or better, somewhat expensive headphones, but they are different. I had a transistor amp for them, and the sound was close to decent. I changed to a tube/valve amp and now the sound simply shines.

I can not recommend them wholeheartedly, as the original owner practically hated them.

I have tried AKG K240 and they just sound bad, although that pair is somewhat common. Any of those rap-star brands have been plain lousy, too. I have tried to be as objective as possible, but this area is just so personal.

OK: DT770 80 ohms. Decent price, decent sound.

• Like 1

Beyer DT series are staples in studios and have been for decades. 

I use Sony MDR-7506 for live work, comfortable to wear and perform well sonically without too much colouration. I've used them for reference to mix FOH from shitty mix positions, as well as just for PFL use, and been more than happy with them. 

7 hours ago, mike257 said:

Beyer DT series are staples in studios and have been for decades. 

I use Sony MDR-7506 for live work, comfortable to wear and perform well sonically without too much colouration. I've used them for reference to mix FOH from shitty mix positions, as well as just for PFL use, and been more than happy with them. 

I've done a week of research but still can't decide between Sony MDR 7506 or beyerdynamic dt 770. Looks like Sony is best overall has longer cable, folds and has better mids but beyerdynamic suits studio work best and is more durable with better comfort. But which one suits my home recording and mixing...hmm.

Sigh