Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2019?

Al Krow

On 15/11/2019 at 07:22, LukeFRC said:

So I’ve got a new bass incoming next week so it might change ... 

This was the year that a Sadowsky jazz supplanted all my other basses, but I actually traded that last year.

Best this year was my HX Stomp - what a step up from the Zoom B3n that is- fits with what I’m doing perfectly and just sounds good. I don’t use half the features but still! 

worst... I don’t really have one, I won a set of chromes at the Midlands bass bash - get to try flats - jury is still out if I like them or not 

Since writing this I picked up a new bass... and am getting a new old amp delivered at 3pm on the 31st (my inlaws are acting courier!) so I may change my mind on this one... 

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I'm still sticking with my Helix Effects as my best purchase, but my new Fender Rumble head is running a very close race. 

Both of those might be playing second fiddle to something mighty fine wending it's way over to Dave-Towers in the next 24 hours.

But there again these are all matters that need to be carefully weighed in the balance.

I’m sticking with worst purchase being the two sets of LaBella strings.

Both Es were short rather than medium scale and both Ds were cut too short to fit properly round the post. 2020 will be all about trying to find a suitable alternative medium scale stainless roundwound string - these LaBellas sound, feel and play great but can’t be doing with their shite QC.

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Both of those might be playing second fiddle to something mighty fine wending it's way over to Dave-Towers in the next 24 hours.

But there again these are all matters that need to be carefully weighed in the balance.

Haha, indeed  you might be right. Won’t know until the 2nd jan though. Feeling positive though, and going to the gym first 😂

6 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

BEST - Dingwall PZ5 (cheers @krispn) - a keeper if ever there was one...

WORST - Boss SYB3 pedal - bought as a synth pedal, sold as a wall decoration for the same money!

Those Dingwall’s are fab. And some folks say a P should only be a four string 😃

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

You'd better hope your address wasn't on the New Year's Honour list or @Al Krow will be paying you a 'corrective' visit...

Haha Mr Stubby - you should check my OP for what got the short straw in the Krow household this year. My faith for all things Boss is certainly not a blind one! 😉

• Haha 1

Best for me is between the HX Stomp and the Fender Rumble 800HD head.

Worst is the Yamaha THR10 II wireless practice amp / speaker.   Effects were ok but for the price, I was expecting considerably better sound when playing music.  Didn't have the volume or sound quality I had hoped for, so it went back to the retailer.

23 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

Best for me is between the HX Stomp and the Fender Rumble 800HD head.

Worst is the Yamaha THR10 II wireless practice amp / speaker.   Effects were ok but for the price, I was expecting considerably better sound when playing music.  Didn't have the volume or sound quality I had hoped for, so it went back to the retailer.

I would have voted those two as well, but i find my Helix Effects to be more to my liking for live use.