Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2019?

Al Krow

Best:

1). Line 6 HX Stomp. 

2). Butchered Laney B215 cabinet. My on-again, off-again band have toyed with looking for a permanent rehearsal space where we can leave our gear. Locally these kinds of places usually involve sharing with other bands and nothing is ever where you left it when you come back to it. Not the kind of place you'd leave your Barefaced cab... SO a big, ugly, brutally heavy cab was the order of the day, just to deter from all but the most necessary of shuffling. If anything this thing isn't heavy enough, but if I remove the casters and strap my racked H&K Bassbase 600 on top it'll maybe do the job. Couldn't be bad to it for 50 quid and a few quid to tart it up a bit. Currently has a pair of Black Widows fitted which aren't ideal, but will suffice until they fosters me off enough to spend a ton changing them for something better...

Worst:

1). Zoom B1on - not that there was ANYTHING wrong with it, but I immediately turned round and bought the Stomp, rendering it entirely superfluous to requirements...

2). Custom string set from Status - stupidly didn't check dimensions of my (subsequently sold) headless bass. They didn't fit and Status went radio silent when I asked if I could return them. Must put them in the classifieds one of these days!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

1). Zoom B1on - not that there was ANYTHING wrong with it, but I immediately turned round and bought the Stomp, rendering it entirely superfluous to requirements...

I have a B1on, and used it a lot for playing at home. I then got a B1 Four and not used the B1on since. Then i got a Stomp and not used either, but the B1 has a huge advantage in that it runs off batteries. For that reason im keeping the Four.

The Zoom B1-4 is super compact - slips into a gig bag pouch v easily; has a bunch of usable multi-fx (although it's not great at pitch shifting and can't do the clever parallel loops that a Helix can), easy to read tuner and doubles up as a head phone pedal and at its price point is unbelievably good value for money.

Yup I've found it hard to let mine go too despite, like Dave, also having a Helix.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The Zoom B1-4 is super compact - slips into a gig bag pouch v easily; has a bunch of usable multi-fx (although it's not great at pitch shifting and can't do the clever parallel loops that a Helix can), easy to read tuner and doubles up as a head phone pedal and at its price point is unbelievably good value for money.

Yup I've found it hard to let mine go too despite, like Dave, also having a Helix.

I almost agree with you! So that's good. The pitch shifting gives me no trouble at all. Also deserving of mention, the synth effect is quite incredibly flexible with a gazillion adjustable parameters. 

Being able to adjust over all volume and tone on the fly is a great addition too. One of the issues with multi fx is how different they sound on the venue compared with the bedroom. Often a simple bass boost or cut or volume change is all that's needed to fix it. Menu diving into a digital pedal mid gig is never fun. 

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

My Stomp will be sold before my B1 Four will. I only use my Stomp at home, and id happily go back to using the B1 Four for headphone practice if i had to.

But you'll be keeping your HX Effects, right? So not all bad in the Helix world! :) 

On 23/01/2020 at 16:09, Stub Mandrel said:

Why not put the Geezer Butler PUPs in the Yamaha BadBoy?

The BB sounds great as it is and the EMGs wouldn't fit anyway as the BB has the metal pickup rings and the pups have rounded ends.

Talman needed minimal adjustment for the EMGs and it sounds immense.

• Like 1

The jury is still out as this could be my beat or worst purchase of 2019. It may sound ok with bass (yea, i know) but for 30 quid new/old stock from pmt northampton it was worth a punt and is older than most of the staff who work there. The quality mains transformer and cable adapters that come with it are worth as much as 30 I recon. It also weighed more to carry out the shop at the same time as the Id core 10 I bought for the grandkids to mess around on. (I know, also guitar)

1580203868612-826302458.jpg

• Like 1