Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2019?

Al Krow

I can't think of any "bad" bass gear purchases this year. If I had to name the "worst" it would be the Yamaha BB414 - nothing wrong with the bass at all - I just didn't gel with it....My fault then.

Best buy??? I bought several TE heads - all fantastic but that's no surprise...

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I can't think of any "bad" bass gear purchases this year. If I had to name the "worst" it would be the Yamaha BB414 - nothing wrong with the bass at all - I just didn't gel with it....My fault then.

Best buy??? I bought several TE heads - all fantastic but that's no surprise...

Haha blasphemy, Mick! You'll be telling me you don't like Darkglass M900 heads next 😉 😁

Wouldn't life be incredibly dull if we all loved the same gear? We'd probably all end up starting threads claiming that everything sounded like everything else...

47 minutes ago, dave moffat said:

Final purchase of 2019 arrived today, arrived almost in tune, seemed to take a bit of time to settle down but nice to play. Now to put it in it's nice new case and send it off to a luthier to be de-fretted, then put some flats on it to end up with my dream machine and putting an end to any GAS in 2020.

NBD thread plz :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Haha blasphemy, Mick! You'll be telling me you don't like Darkglass M900 heads next 😉 😁

Wouldn't life be incredibly dull if we all loved the same gear? We'd probably all end up starting threads claiming that everything sounded like everything else...

Was that this year??? How time flies...

Unless the postie magics up in the next hour or so, I won't know if it's the best or worst but it's definitely the last of the year, an old Aria Pro II IGB-600. I started playing in the late 80's and I have a real soft spot for basses from that era. I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

sint-l1600a.thumb.jpg.fafd4915fda8b82b0078665707c54d58.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/12/2019 at 22:03, Richard R said:

Last purchase of 2019 now made, post Christmas sales and money sat in my PayPal account:

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/armourdillo-defender-bass-guitar-gig-bag

It won't arrive this year, but I shall post back in @Kirky's thread as to whether it's any good or not. 

Slàinte Mhath everyone!

Review here:

Looking back, probably the Trace Elliot combo. The weight isn't a real issue with wheels fitted.

Back in the day I used my 150W Laney and was always running it pushed hard to keep up.

Now we aren't the loudest set of folks, but at todays practice I got asked to turn down. I was only on 1 1/2...

• 2 weeks later...

Best of the Year for me was my Ibanez Talman. I picked it up in Dawsons closing down sale for £130  new and then dropped  a set of  PJ EMG Geezer Butlers in. Its now ow my main gigging bass as it sounds monstrous (although I like the neck far less than my Yamaha BB)!!!

Worse for me was a EHX Bass Big Muff.  Failed to get any decent usable tones out of it.

r.jpg

v.jpg

• Like 1

Worst: Bought a Boss wireless system on massive knock down from Andertons. It didn't work so had to go back... Since receiving it back I haven't even tested it and won't be using it at my next gig which will be crammed in to a tiny space. Bit of a waste of cash, really. 

Best? Right-on straps, they're very good. 

Edited by uk_lefty

2 hours ago, stuckinthepod said:

Best of the Year for me was my Ibanez Talman. I picked it up in Dawsons closing down sale for £130  new and then dropped  a set of  PJ EMG Geezer Butlers in. Its now ow my main gigging bass as it sounds monstrous (although I like the neck far less than my Yamaha BB)!!!

The Yammy BB is outstanding for the money, no question, so not surprised you're finding it a hard bass to compete with. The PJ EMG GBs do sound awesome - I'd love to hear what they sound like in action. Any clips of you playing?

@burno70 & @Frank Blank - come on boys, let's get some pics up that we can drool over (again!) :) 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Al Krow said:
2 hours ago, stuckinthepod said:

The Yammy BB is outstanding for the money, no question, so not surprised you're finding it a hard bass to compete with. The PJ EMG GBs do sound awesome - I'd love to hear what they sound like in action. Any clips of you playing?

@burno70 & @Frank Blank - come on boys, let's get some pics up that we can drool over (again!) :) 

Why not put the Geezer Butler PUPs in the Yamaha BadBoy?

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

That reminds me, i brought a GB P for my Fender P bass last year. Its not a bad pup. I had the PJ set when they first came out but never really got on with the bass i put them in, and sold the bass with them still in it.

How do you rate the Geezer Butler PJs as compared to the Yammy PJs in your P34? 

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

How do you rate the Geezer Butler PJs as compared to the Yammy PJs in your P34? 

Well my P34 sounds like a funky P bass, the Fender sounds like a 'woody' P bass. I cant say if that's the pup or the different basses. As you know my P bass is very light and doesn't have as much body wood etc.

I'd say the Fender got a bit more old school when i put the EMG in. Im happy with it, but given the choice again id leave the stock one in.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well I’ve revised my original post on here because the best purchase of 2019 (more than likely to remain the best bass related purchase of my life) was buying the ACG Harlot from @TheGreek, it’s an incredible thing.

39836A07-FB6B-43A8-B026-3D36F24BE9B4.jpeg

The next ACG wasn’t purchased in 2019, in fact it was purchased three days ago from @Clarky and I’m expecting it to become my kind of workhorse bass.

47A4C0F3-5002-42F2-9045-5D8BF0050E90.jpeg

Other really good purchases were the QSC K12.2 which is a total game changer for me, the HX Stomp is amazing and along with the QSC has become my entire rig.

Schaller strap locks and KLIQ AirCell straps were also high up the list.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 4