Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2019?

Al Krow

Wow, only day 2 into this thread and already 2 votes for the Yamaha BB 734A! Given the variety of our gear purchases and tastes, it'll be interesting to see if any other single piece of kit gets more endorsements as a 2019 favourite purchase, than this bass. 

7 hours ago, kendall said:

A Pick.  Tried and failed at pick playing.  Fingers it is from now on - and they're free.

I enjoy a bit of pick playing every now and then. I bought some lovely Ultex the other week. Have had them all pilfered by middle daughter who was shouting “rhino rhino look rhino!” As she toddled off 😳

• Like 1

Best buy for me this year has to be my Bass Collection SB802 I have waited 30 years to find another one after foolishly parting with my first one, and despite a lot of electrical issues and ending up replacing the pre-amp I am really pleased with it.

Worst buy, undoubtedly an off white P bass body sold as solid wood and a in nice condition, turns out it is solid Balsa wood and whilst it resembles a Precision bass in shape nothing from a Precision fits it, not even one of the 15 odd  pick guards I have lying about fits it, it has been resigned to the corner of the studio awaiting next year's bonfire night.

22 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

49DA2CC2-B4B4-4BB7-84FD-8A89F7CCDEAE.thumb.jpeg.b7cbbc4ca95aab1f75b9114af037d8b3.jpeg

One of these was my first 'real' bass. I had a terrible cheap SG copy when we got our first gig, only problem was we didn't actually have a band so I was dispatched to Mansons to buy a proper bass, I returned with one of these beauties. The gig was awesome, much mayhem ensued and we were told we'd never be allowed to play there again. 😂

I traded it in after a couple of years for a brand new BBG5s which I still have. To this day a Yammy feels like coming home. 

Back on topic I've just realised that I haven't bought anything this year at all............ I've got six weeks to remedy this. 😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Maude said:

One of these was my first 'real' bass. I had a terrible cheap SG copy when we got our first gig, only problem was we didn't actually have a band so I was dispatched to Mansons to buy a proper bass, I returned with one of these beauties. The gig was awesome, much mayhem ensued and we were told we'd never be allowed to play there again. 😂

I traded it in after a couple of years for a brand new BBG5s which I still have. To this day a Yammy feels like coming home. 

Back on topic I've just realised that I haven't bought anything this year at all............ I've got six weeks to remedy this. 😁

Loved that story and also where your home lies.

No brownie points for being virtuously abstinent (virtinent?) on this thread tho - yo Si, another one of yours, mate! 😁

• Like 1

Best? Difficult to choose between my three awesome and very differently flavoured custom basses (ACG Finn 5, Zoot Funkmeister 4, Conway Instruments Taranis fretless)

Worst? The LaBella strings I recently bought from Bass Direct; both sets had a short rather than medium scale E. Crap!

31 minutes ago, Merton said:

Best? Difficult to choose between my three awesome and very differently flavoured custom basses (ACG Finn 5, Zoot Funkmeister 4, Conway Instruments Taranis fretless)

Worst? The LaBella strings I recently bought from Bass Direct; both sets had a short rather than medium scale E. Crap!

I had the same experience from Bass Direct they didn't really want to know about the problems either. 

1 hour ago, RossHetherington said:

I had the same experience from Bass Direct they didn't really want to know about the problems either. 

It’s been a week since I noticed and to be fair Mark said he’d sort replacements from LaBella - ultimately BD aren’t at fault here and if they can assist in fixing LaBella’s pink torpedo up then all good :) Sorry you didn’t  have a good experience :(

17 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Pretty much had a great 2019 gear wise. Whole new rig and I have never felt better about my tone. New Alpher Mako Elite with Nordstrand Blades, Mesa Subway D800, and Vanderkley 212.

image.png.bc20cf6729d2b3cf4e7173522963cdcb.png

Nice! So if you had to pick one as your star purchase for 2019 which would you go for? That Alpher does look pretty sweet! Guessing those Nords deliver a crunchy growl and likely enhanced by that reverse P set up. 

@Merton pics of your fav bass (yup just the one!) please :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

image.png.bc20cf6729d2b3cf4e7173522963cdcb.png

Nice! So if you had to pick one as your star purchase for 2019 which would you go for? That Alpher does look pretty sweet! Guessing those Nords deliver a crunchy growl and likely enhanced by that reverse P set up. 

@Merton pics of your fav bass (yup just the one!) please :) 

Yup if I have to choose just the one thing it sure is the Alpher! Best bass I have ever played. The nords are incredible, they really respond to the volume control.

3 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Yup if I have to choose just the one thing it sure is the Alpher! Best bass I have ever played. The nords are incredible, they really respond to the volume control.

I suspect this thread is (i) not going to be helpful for BC GAS generally but (ii) is in very good time to remedy said GAS via SC**

...be right back, just off to check out Alpher 5 string basses 😁

Edited by Al Krow
** SC = Santa Claus

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

No brownie points for being virtuously abstinent (virtinent?) 😁

To be fair I have tried to buy an Aerodyne Precision, Aria 4001 copy, Yamaha Bex4 and a Takemine TB10 but for one reason or another none have worked out. 

It's not been my year at all. I did buy a cheap 'Ritter' (no not that one) gigbag for my uke bass which for £15 is actually really good. If anyone needs a uke bass gigbag then here's the link. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333246012660

They've gone up since I bought mine but a little searching may find one cheaper, it's the 1/2 size classical you want. 

Drawing for first place - Cort GB4, bought for a Marillion tribute band and now destined for underuse (but a lovely bass regardless), and a Line 6 HD500 bought for a ridiculously small amount of money.

Potentially joining them - Basschat cab kit, when I get round to building it.

Best, and only, purchase was a Line 6 Stomp. Love the flexibility and fact that it’s all in one small box. It also makes having only one bass far more versatile than it would be without it, mostly due to the different amps and responses they give.

Never thought I could be a one bass guy, not sure if I could without a decent bass maximised by the Stomp...? 

• Like 1

The only thing I can remember buying this year was a cute short-scale acoustic Stagg bass off our own @dodgnofski.

It's great for leaving out for noodling and I've done a couple of acoustic gigs with it.

Also, it can be transported out of sight in my wee hatchback. If you need a reason to buy a short scale - there you go!

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Same as @Chiliwailer, the Stomp has changed the game for me. A close second is my Sandberg Super Light. Travelling, loading in and out and playing is now far less of a chore.

No bad purchases, though I'm really not a fan of the Dunlop Nickels I put on the Sandberg. They take the wooden spoon by default. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Same as @Chiliwailer, the Stomp has changed the game for me.

Glad to see my first Stomp is being put to such productive use - never in doubt it would find a better home in your hands than mine! Same likely to also be true for my second attempt at Stomp mastery which is now in the hands of @BlueMoon or at least BlueMoon Jr to be precise 😁. And for a pedal to beat a bass in your affections is going some!

Seems to me that this very capable HX pedal is already stomping (yeah ok that's bad, but it's early, right?) its way to the front of the best purchase queue in 2019.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

Pretty much had a great 2019 gear wise. Whole new rig and I have never felt better about my tone. New Alpher Mako Elite with Nordstrand Blades, Mesa Subway D800, and Vanderkley 212.

52900702-5E6F-4047-9305-8D9B86576643.jpeg

05919012-EE3F-4E7D-88D9-DE02A00DB161.jpeg

That's one gorgeous bass. Love the wood and the body shape is so sleek. Liking that a lot.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Best bass-related purchase,  the EBS Session 60 bought from @xzodar. Alas can't post a pic as we have guests staying and the amp is tucked out of the way in the office. 

Best other music-related purchase, Qu32 mixing desk for church. Not sure it counts though, since I will be reimbursed. Hopefully before the bill comes in 🙂 

IMG-20191025-WA0007.jpeg