Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2019?

Al Krow

@razor5cl congrats on the milestone b'day and already having such great taste in basses! It seems to me the future of BC is assured! :) 

47 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Honestly, when it comes to specific bass gear, I don't think there was really a bad one. Obviously somethings must be worst if something is best, but I can't think what.

Your Ibby GVB 36? Or was that last year?

47 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Best I would think would be the Boss SY-1, although I might need a few weeks, I am currently veering towards the new BC bass cab being the best now, but need to do a full gig with it, which will be the weekend after next (in fact, 3 gigs)

I think we've somehow managed to so far be the only two BC'ers fortunate enough to get our hands on this little gem of a pedal. And having started the thread by dissing a Boss pedal as my worst purchase of the year, I've gotta also admit that the Boss SY-1 has been the most easy-to-access bringer of a LOT of fun purchase this year (and a lot of cool synth sounds too!)

Edited by Al Krow

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@razor5cl congrats on the milestone b'day and already having such great taste in basses! It seems to me the future of BC is assured! :) 

Your Ibby GVB 36? Or was that last year?

I sold it last year, might have even bought it the year before. 

I bought the SR2605 this year, but I am not sure I have really bonded with it. I certainly don't regret getting it and it is great, but I am still reaching for the 1605 when I go out. I think the problem is that it is more expensive and shiny and I don't want to risk it at some of the dodgy pubs I go to, and scratch it!

But most of my purchases this year were not really bass related.

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think we've somehow managed to so far be the only two BC'ers fortunate enough to get our hands on this little gem of a Boss pedal. 

Its odd isn't it, they have become hard to get, which is a shame, this is a real winner of a pedal.

I don't have the disposable income these days with businesses sucking it all up while they get established.

So mine are modest:  Best pedal is probably going to be the Sonic Audio C4...once it arrives.

source-audio-c4-synth.jpg

Worst was a Hosa SLW-333 desktop line switcher.  Described as in good condition but the threads around a number of the sockets had been stripped because the sockets were poor quality and the sole PCB connector kept popping off.  Cost more to ship the bloody thing than the purchase price and by the time I actually got my hands on it, I couldn't leave feedback.

81FiPA0ui9L._SX425_.jpg

So I’ve got a new bass incoming next week so it might change ... 

This was the year that a Sadowsky jazz supplanted all my other basses, but I actually traded that last year.

Best this year was my HX Stomp - what a step up from the Zoom B3n that is- fits with what I’m doing perfectly and just sounds good. I don’t use half the features but still! 

worst... I don’t really have one, I won a set of chromes at the Midlands bass bash - get to try flats - jury is still out if I like them or not 

• Like 1

@Kiwi I appreciate that you're a mod and can therefore make up the rules as you go along and also that you have some in depth views on the nature of 'wood'.

However your best bit of kit in 2019 is something that you haven't even tried yet?!! Not sure that should be allowed - well not for another few weeks until it's popped through your wooden door anyway! 😁

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Something both soooo wrong and yet soooo right about that pic, Dave! 😁

Its all about fun. :laugh1:

That's probably the HEY ! at the start of Angel Face by Glitter Band. 

I did buy some LaBella Low Tension flats as well couple weeks ago which i'm very impressed with.

Edited by dmccombe7

43 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Kiwi I appreciate that you're a mod and can therefore make up the rules as you go along and also that you have some in depth views on the nature of 'wood'.

However your best bit of kit in 2019 is something that you haven't even tried yet?!! Not sure that should be allowed - well not for another few weeks until it's popped through your wooden door anyway! 😁

Yep speculative.  It's arriving next week but it's a no brainer.  I have bought next to nothing in 2019 apart from a Moment Machine, an EHX Freeze and a Adrenalinn 3 plus a small 4 channel mixer and that signal switcher.   The C4 is highly anticipated.

Happy to delete if it's not in the spirit of the thread though. 

Best: 

Mesa Big Block 750 . I had wanted one for over ten years, but could never afford one and by the time I could they had been discontinued. Not an amp for those that need a clean, flat response or really clinical EQ settings, but for driving rock bass tones, it is brilliant. The amount of gain on tap on the overdrive is brilliant. I had a big clear out at the start of the year to fund the Big Block and a really guitar amp (a Mesa Single Rectifier). 

Most pleasantly surprising purchase: 

I have been using the D'addario balanced tension 120-50 set for gigging since they were launched around 2013. I have recently decided to make up my own set of Elixirs using the same gauge as I am going through so many sets of the D'addario when gigging, rehearsing and recording. I must confess I think that the Elixir strings are absolutely brilliant and they are not dying on me as quickly as the D'addarios. Over the long term it should save me money. I am going to switch my five strings over to Elixir as well. 

Worst: 

Darkglass Alpha Omega pedal. Great pedal, but the Big Block now pretty much does the overdrive/distortion sounds I need without me needing another pedal. Is it sacrilege if I say that I actually prefer the B3K/B7K drive circuit? I probably won't move it on, but it isn't really getting used at the minute. 

Should have bought years ago: 

Purchasing a replacement Babicz bridge for my 1974 Gibson EB3. I had resisted buying a replacement bridge for years on account that getting rid of the original bridge would devalue the bass. However the 3 point Gibson bridge is worthless so it had to go. It took me ten minutes to fit the new bridge with no additional routing needed and I can reinstall the original bridge if I decided to sell it. I can now actually set the intonation properly for the first time in 18 years. It still sounds like mud, but a more in tune mud than previously. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

It's all about fun. :laugh1:

+8,388,607** ^^

More seriously, Dave, you've just completely nailed in that pithy phrase what playing bass, BC and making music with our bandmates should be all about.

42 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Yep speculative.  It's arriving next week but it's a no brainer.  I have bought next to nothing in 2019 apart from a Moment Machine, an EHX Freeze and a Adrenalinn 3 plus a small 4 channel mixer and that signal switcher.   The C4 is highly anticipated. Happy to delete if it's not in the spirit of the thread though. 

Nah, just joshing. It clearly will be your best purchase in 2019, just technically not quite yet!

1 hour ago, barkin said:

Same here.

Another waif and stray for you Si...😁

Edited by Al Krow
** = number of posts the Dood has made...
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Best

7DF942D3-1937-4E95-B5DF-578EE457E682.thumb.jpeg.2ea7a82a9d1c5ae4f4417749fab9d238.jpeg

Brilliant seller, just love the thing.

worst

49DA2CC2-B4B4-4BB7-84FD-8A89F7CCDEAE.thumb.jpeg.b7cbbc4ca95aab1f75b9114af037d8b3.jpeg

would absolutely own another in a heartbeat and it was a lovely bass (after a lot of work)

The Guy I bought it from was vile and the experience totally cocked it up for me. Sold it at a loss. 

Let me know when you want to part with the sparkle. What hardware has it got??

• Like 1

Not bought 'that' much stuff but the best is without question my Gibson Les Paul Jnr DC.  It is immensely good fun to play and sounds awesome.  It has also re-ignited my love affair with short(er) scale basses.

I made a few not quite so good as that purchases but nothing nasty springs to mind.

I’ve not had any bad purchases this year, but 3 have really stood out on the good side:

Squier VM 77 Jazz Bass, simply put the Jazz Bass I’ve been looking for for years.

TC Electronic Unitune Clip, had been looking for a clip-on tuner that would actually work in a live environment, this does.

Ashdown RM210 Cabs, bought back off of our very own @bassix, had forgotten how great they sound, and how easy they are to cart about.

Thats all folks, thank you very much.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

I have three pieces of gear that really impressed me this year:

1-Yamaha BB734. This was no surprise since I already had the 735, but I love it. It's just awesome

2-Boss LS-2. My board now is on parallel mode and I cannot be happier

3-90s EHX (Black) Big Muff. Best fuzz pedal I ever had

I didn't screw thing up this year buying something that I don't like. I still have two months though... 

• Like 1