Why become a member? ×

FX loop send/return for blend purposes?

Ajoten

My amp has a balance control on the fx loop enabling you to mix your wet and dry signals. While I understand what this is supposed to do, if I wanted to keep the dry signal at its original volume in order not to sacrifice bass when I engage a distortion pedal (on the assumption that's not a no-no for this loop malarkey), would a 12 o'clock setting do this? Or is that going to be 50 wet/50 dry volume? Or am I misunderstanding something?

(I guess an associated question is whether pedals with a blend knob on full have all the wet and all the dry?)

It depends on the design of the blend control, which could vary between different amps and pedals.

Blend controls on pedals are not usually 100% wet + 100% dry with the blend knob half way. But that doesn't matter of the pedal has a volume control.

Blend controls on basses for pickup selection are usually set up so that centre position is 100% of each.

Amps, I'm not so sure as I've never had one with a blendable loop, but I bet not all manufacturers design them to work exactly the same. It'd be easy to tell by adjusting the blend knob with nothing in the loop (or a muted tuner pedal if it needs something plugged in) - does that affect the volume?

Anyway, I'd put a distortion pedal in front of the amp and forget the loop!

Edited by dannybuoy