Why become a member? ×

Precision with Rounds ...

Davo-London

Gentlebassfolk

I feel left out from the general love-in going on in the Precision and Flats thread.  I didn't want to distract with any negativity in that thread as I'm not a big fan of flats.  So I thought it would be more appropriate to start (a rival) thread focussing on rounds.  I have 2 Precisions; one with rounds and one with flats.  They happen to be '64 and '66 Precisions but don't let that distract you.  The tone and feel you get with rounds gives me great pleasure especially when you dig in and get some bark and heft coming back.  

I am a great fan of DR Sunbeams 40-100 bass strings, which are nickel.  To me, the flexibility of the string being low tension is what I love about these strings.  Being nickel, they sound great straight away ie not too much clang, and decay in tone much slower than stainless steel in my humble opinion.  But ultimately it's the feel along with the '64 P neck that gets me excited every time I pick it up.

I also find with nickels that I can use them in any genre e.g. Jazz, worship, rock and use the tone control according to acoustics etc.  I get a lot of positive responses - particularly in church.  One young lad asked me once: since I could play, shouldn't I get myself a new bass!  I think he was a bit affronted by my LOL.

Anyways, tell me about your love affair with rounds on your P?

Peace

Davo

Love the highbeams on my P,  they completely changed my views on the difference strings make to your sound. Saying that, I'm now using Elixir nanos on my gigging bass for the longevity as they're so expensive to replace. So far very happy. Tried flats, really wanted to like them (again for the longevity) but to my wollen ear they sounded dull and lifeless (perhaps that's the point).

Completely agree! I tried flats before and they just didn't inspire me as they felt dull and lifeless to play...not to mention the high tension which I am not a fan of. I like the sound of other players using them, but for me they just don't work.

I've always loved rounds whether they be Elixir Nanowebs or D'addario. Currently using Fender nickel plated steel 45-105 on my Precision and loving them. I've always heard great things about DR strings but there's so much choice I wouldn't know where to start..any recommendations? 🙂

4 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Love the highbeams on my P,  they completely changed my views on the difference strings make to your sound.

The first thing I did when I got my Mike Lull PJ5 was to put on a set of DR High Beams. What a great sound. I later went with a set of TI flats .

My Jazz bass gets all the gigs these days (now on my 3rd set of NYXL's) but occasionally I have an inkling for another P bass with rounds.

For my current needs a Precision strung with Rotosound Steel Rounds is king. Unfortunately Rotosounds die very quickly and I need new string sound so I’ve switched to Warwick Red Label Steel Rounds, they sound almost the same but last at least twice as long, and are half the price so win all round.

Edited by Lozz196

I hate flats on my Precision. I've tried 3 or 4 different brands. I know they work for a lot of people on here but they just sound insipid with my style of pick playing. I got a few sets of DR Black Beauties when they were £25 on Amazon and will go back to D'Addario Prosteels when thety wear out. I love the raspy clanky aggresiveness.

On my Mustang I can make flats work and love them on that though.

I'm not a fan of flats either. I have a set of TIs which have been on and off about 4 times, but I've always gone back to Nickel rounds, usually DR Sunbeams or D'Addario. I much prefer the sound of rounds. Back in the '80s I had a set of Rotosound 'Piano-wound' on my Yamaha (with only the central core passing over the saddle, and the winding starting later. I liked that sound too. Much more 'live'.

Good thread... I've lost count of the number of times I've taken my rounds off and re strung my P bass with flats only to change back again after a couple of weeks... maybe its down to technique and gear to a certain extent, certainly in the right hands a P with flats can sound glorious but I think in a live setting (mostly noisy pubs in my case) I still need to hear a bit of bark in my tone to help me to cut through the mix and I only seem to get that with rounds... DR High Beams have been my round of choice for up on 20 years, they last for ages and to my ears sound even better as they get played in... obviously there comes a point when the need changing but I get ages out of a set 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PlasmaZombies said:

Completely agree! I tried flats before and they just didn't inspire me as they felt dull and lifeless to play...not to mention the high tension which I am not a fan of. I like the sound of other players using them, but for me they just don't work.

I've always loved rounds whether they be Elixir Nanowebs or D'addario. Currently using Fender nickel plated steel 45-105 on my Precision and loving them. I've always heard great things about DR strings but there's so much choice I wouldn't know where to start..any recommendations? 🙂

sunbeams are very popular (I've not tried them yet) and I love highbeams

• Like 1

I am still a fan of Elites on my P basses. On another thread recently I mentioned I had recorded the bass line for our latest song twice, once on a P with Fender flats and again with a P with fairly fresh Elites, I wasn't sure whether I liked the sound of the flats so decided to let the band decide which version they preferred so, with two identical mixes just one with the flats bass and one with the rounds....the band unanimously went for the version with the roundwound string bass recording.....so we now have a definitive answer!.....OK maybe not totally definitive but definitive enough for me :D 

28 minutes ago, bassix said:

I love a set of Pro steels but quite enjoying the Fender nickels that came with the bass currently. 

Pro Steels are probably, no make that definitely the most comfortable to play rounds I’ve used. Ultimately I found them too polite and even-sounding for my current needs but that’s more of a complement if anything, I need rough and ready and they were too polished/professional sounding.

I preferred the D'addario nickels 40-100 for past 10yrs altho i tried a few others i kept coming back to them. When i bought my Sandberg it came with Sandberg's own strings which were steels but they were actually really good and not as rough on my fingers as many other rounds i've tried over past 40yrs. They seem to last longer than most nickels too. I tried the DR's and altho i liked the feel and tension it wasn't enough to justify the additional cost compared to the D'addarios and now the Sandberg steels which are even cheaper.

Give the Sandberg steels a try. I think people might like them.

Afraid i'm trying out flats at moment so i'll move back to the other thread. Just thought i'd share my experience with rounds tho.

Dave

My P is strung with a very old set of Superwound half-rounds. Exposed core over the bridge. Initially bought to avoid chewing up my fretless board I found them such a comfortable string to play I put a set on my precision too.  Once a year or so I get it out of it's case and it's as bright and intune as it was when it was put away.  Exclusively play DR black Beauty 5's now so if I was ever to pick up the P again I'd probably restring it with those. 

It is extraordinary, when you first hear it, how much the switch between flats and rounds can transform the sound of the same bass. I still have an old set of Fender flats which came with my late fretless Jazz, and I do get tempted to try them out again every so often...but they're not really "me." I drank too deeply from the cup of Live at Leeds to renounce rounds. Rotosound Swing Bass have been my cheesegraters of choice for a couple of decades now, though I did get very favourable results from D'Addarios, Dunlops, and Warwick Reds in the past. Now that I'm not gigging and recording enough to justify frequent changes, I am tempted to invest in a few sets of Elixirs, just so I can keep things sounding fresh each time I blow the dust off the guitar cases.

20 hours ago, Davo-London said:

Yeah I remember the core-only going over the saddle - but they tended to break!!.....

Yes, I well recall that. I've often heard people say "bass strings never break, surely!"But those Rotos definitely used to break all too regularly...

I've been a slow convert to Flats, as I never liked the feel of them - much preferring rounds. I also found Flats seemed to be much higher tension, until I discovered TI flats
Playing upright also helped me convert to liking Flats, as Upright strings tend to be more akin to them (in many cases) - but don't get me started there, as there are so many variants in upright strings :o

I still don't like flats which are very high tension, and on some basses TI's just don't feel quite right.
I've never tried half rounds - perhaps that's another thread again? lol ;)