Why become a member? ×

String options for a 5-string Kala SUB

tauzero

I have a 5-string Kala SUB, 20" scale, which comes with Pahoehoes on it. It's been on the back burner for a little while after I initially tuned it up, but I've now started up with it again and spent the last week or ten days tuning it at least once a day. Strings finally seem to be settling down, but they've been even worse at settling than the silicone strings on my Ashbory were. So I'm looking around for possible alternatives. I don't want any of the metal-wound strings (nylon core or metal core) as they don't have the same tonal character as the rubber ones. The Silver Thumpers are interesting but, although Aquila tell me they make a 5-string set, I haven't been able to find one. And Thundergut 5-string sets are for the 23" scale of the current Kalas, not the former 20" scale.

So, any suggestions for alternatives to the Pahoehoes? Does anyone know if Thunderguts will work on a 5-string?

They are settling but G and D are still dropping almost a semitone a day. Worse than the Ashbory strings. I now have to decide between loosening the top strings back off and reducing the windings round the peg or continue as it is with two layers of winding on.

I have two Harley Benton uke basses, one with Pahohoes and one with the Thunderguts it came with. The Pahohoes seem stiffer and more stable to me. I much prefer them to the Thunderguts, slightly stiffer and not so grippy so don't do that rolling under the plucking fingers thing as much.