Why become a member? ×

Band or not?

thebadgerman

Just after some thoughts please guys. I've found my mojo again after several years of not playing very much at all. 

I used to play in an originals band but then moved away about 15 years ago and haven't played in a band since. I'm enjoying playing solo these days, working my way through the grade books and I'm not sure if I want to get back in a band. 

I'm 42 and don't know if I'm too old to join a band. Do I just continue as I am, finding a couple of hours every so often to practice alone or do I want to commit to a weekly(?) practice to play with others? If so how do I find a band? 

Thanks for any thoughts...... 

• Like 1

Way too young to be too old to join a band!!

As to how to get back, networking. Jams, open mics, gigs. Get to know people, let them know you are looking.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride (55, toured for first time last year).

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Thanks 1

Never too old to join a band, as long as you don't plan to go mental on stage or anything, you'll be golden.

You'll need to work out how much time you have or want to put towards practice/rehearsals/gigs and move forward from there. As long as you're open with yourself and band mates about time, you're be fine. If others want to rehearse all the time, and you don't - it's never going to work. Aim to find peeps similar to you, in terms of what you want to play, and time you all want to put into the band.

Finding others on the same wavelength isn't easy, but sometimes things just click.

• Thanks 1

I struggle to find a band and I'm a very experienced bassist - there again compared to you I'm ancient.  I play a lot (a lot) in my local church and that may or may not be an option to you depending obvs on your faith.  However, it is an excellent and very frequent opportunity to play.  There may be open mic sessions near you that, and, whilst a bit scary, could be an option for you.  

Whilst I enjoy practice, the bass is an accompanying instrument as is drums, so not playing in some sort of group is essentially missing out on the raison d'etre of the instrument.  

A tip could be to hook up with a like-minded similar-aged drummer and go from there.

Peace

Davo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

As to how to get back, networking. Jams, open mics, gigs. Get to know people, let them know you are 

I agree with this one. Facebook groups for local music are useful in finding out what's happening. My local music shops still have notice boards too!

Where you live will probably help or hinder too. In a remote or low-population areas it's probably going to be harder.

Never too old to join/form a band.

Personally, I'm happyish at the moment; ongoing studio project (Lutz), occasional depping (Rocket66), my own studio thing (Amphibious Vehicles). I did try out with some blokes a few days back and they were terrible, which kind of reinforces the question of whether I even want to do a proper band again.  That's the question, not that you think you're too old!

3 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Personally, I'm happyish at the moment; ongoing studio project (Lutz), occasional depping (Rocket66), my own studio thing (Amphibious Vehicles). I did try out with some blokes a few days back and they were terrible, which kind of reinforces the question of whether I even want to do a proper band again.  That's the question, not that you think you're too old!

Just goes to show, you don't need to be in a "band" to be doing fun stuff with other people. Bands can be a lot of work, one off projects are a nice alternative. Easy with all the tech that's about now as well.

What's the bet, that there will be other people, around your age, that may well feel the need to join or start a band in your area as well.

Local Music groups on Facebook, Gumtree (yes, people still use it!), Ad's in music shops, talking to folk on the local Jam / Open Mic Night scene. There may well be a few false starts along the way, but if it gets you out playing again, great.

Ha ha, I was 55 when I started playing bass. I've been in bands pretty much ever since.

I actually don't really get why people would play bass other than to be in a band. Music for me is to be enjoyed and shared. Bass in particular is about how music fits together to make a whole which you hope is greater than the sum of it's parts. It's rarely a solo or lead instrument and so much more fun when working with a drummer.

Working with other people can be an issue, usually fun but sometimes really frustrating and you have to compromise; sometimes quite a lot :)

So what are your options? Join a covers band? There is a limited choice of songs, you have to go where the money and audiences are but immediately you have a hobby that pays for itself, people tell you that you are wonderful when the reality for me is that I'm just about OK but watching a room full of people dancing to the rhythm in your fingers well that is a blast!

You don't want to compromise what you play? Maybe you can't afford that level of commitment, 30+ songs take a lot of learning and keeping up to performance standard (I practice every day) and a gig can take 6hours out of your day  which is a big chunk out of every weekend. Well it's still fun playing with other people. Just playing half a dozen songs over a few beers with mates is a nice way to spend an evening and you'll inevitably end up doing the odd jam at a party sooner or later. If your mates don't play then there are loads of open mics around. Go along have a listen and chat with anyone who plays songs you fancy a go at and see if anyone bites. Talk to the organiser and they might be able to match you up with someone.

I run a kind of open session for people whose lives are too full to cope with proper gigging bands. It's tough to find time if you have a family and a job. There's loads of really good musicians who can play to a high standard but just want a run out once a month or even once a year, but it makes the hours of nurdling away on their own worth it and every now and then some of my musicians do go off and form bands.

Good luck, get out there, persevere until you find what you want and yes, you may have to kiss a few frogs on the way :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thebadgerman said:

Just after some thoughts please guys. I've found my mojo again after several years of not playing very much at all. 

I used to play in an originals band but then moved away about 15 years ago and haven't played in a band since. I'm enjoying playing solo these days, working my way through the grade books and I'm not sure if I want to get back in a band. 

I'm 42 and don't know if I'm too old to join a band. Do I just continue as I am, finding a couple of hours every so often to practice alone or do I want to commit to a weekly(?) practice to play with others? If so how do I find a band? 

Thanks for any thoughts...... 

Practice to achieve what? I could not commit to practice simply to fill in time, for me it has to have a goal. The goal for me is to maintain and hopefully improve my ability to play in my band or to ply in other more difficult environments. I could never commit to hours of practice simply for the routine, or work through music grades with no end goal. I cant see the point in being top grade in bass playing if im not going to use it. Just my take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience is very similar to yours :

I'm 44, played in originals bands for 11ish years - that finished a decade ago.

Since then I've been playing at home, learning bits & pieces & working through the grades material.

Earlier this year, I was asked to run the open mic night at my local bar, and ever since, I've been playing nearly every week.

During that time I've met lots of musicians - some good, some not so good - but have had offers to join existing bands on bass. None were right for me, so I decided to ask some of the other musicians if they fancied doing something.

First rehearsal tomorrow! :)

My experience might not work for you, but you never know who you'll meet at open mic nights.

Good luck with everything 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I understand how practising and playing on your own might be hassle free fun. But unless you're going to play with other people or record, then what's the point of it really? Fair enough if you were playing piano or acoustic guitar and writing songs which you could perform solo, but the bass is not really a solo instrument. If you're enjoying playing solo, then fair play. Personally when I'm not in a band situation or at least working towards that, I lose all interest. I haven't picked up the bass in weeks since I last played with my old band. Although I do intend to spend a large part of this winter practising and working on theory and technique etc, but again, that's with a goal of being able to play better with a band. 

Also I'm a similar age to you. 44 and I joined a band last year, which is the first band I've been in since I was 16. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m 40 and just got back into playing the bass I appreciate others opinions that what’s the point of playing if your not in a band but you can have just as fun at home playing with yourself (oooh errrr missus!!) my aim is to play in a band but I need to build up my confidence on my playing ability first before that happens but like everyone else has said you are never too old go for it I say!!

On a side note I’ve got a couple of grade books that I was going to start working through how useful do people find them in making you a better bass player?.........😀

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

On a side note I’ve got a couple of grade books that I was going to start working through how useful do people find them in making you a better bass player?.........😀

For me, they're a bit of a mixed blessing.

I find the grades material a bit daunting at first, I have a go at everything, lose confidence, then come back a week or month later & it makes more sense. I've definitely improved from doing it, but it hasn't been a particularly enjoyable experience :scratch_one-s_head:

Have a go - it may be that you take to it, or maybe you struggle abit like me.

smiley

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

I had my first gig at 51, now 62, been in bands all the interim.  if you still have your health and wits* go for it.

*I should have given up around 3 years ago by that criteria...

Well if the price you sold me a BB 425 for is anything to go by then, yup, you did lose your marbles a couple of years back! 😁 Particularly when a chunk of the discount related to you mislaying a piece of hardware which you then subsequently found and kindly posted at your own cost...

• Haha 2

I gave up bands when i was about 35 various reasons. Got interested again when i was 50 when i was asked to jam with couple of old mates. Enjoyed it so much i started looking. Joined a Deep Purple tribute band. Did the audition and got offered on the spot. Did that for about 12-18mths and it folded and i've never been so busy playing in varying styles of bands from Classic rock thru Prog to tribute bands and 70's / 80's covers and some funk / blues rock and then onto my current fav band ever a 70's Glam Rock covers band that i'm just loving. Guys are all first class now that we got rid of the keys player who was a pain in the butt. We have a new guy depping with us till after Xmas and we'll see where we go with it. He might even stay.

All in all i've been busier since i turned 50 than i ever was as a youngster and far more enjoyable. Not as many ego's when you get older. I'm now 59.

Dave

• Like 3