Why become a member? ×

Pedulla Pentabuzz Withdrawn
£1400
Northumberland

Chris2112

Hello, 

I am considering selling my 1994 Pedulla Pentabuzz bass. I bought this bass in late summer 2017 through Basschat, and owning one was a goal and a dream come true but the reality is, I always tend to grab a fretted bass first. A change is as good as a rest, so I thought I'd offer this up tentatively for sale or trade to see if anything should take my fancy (fretted basses only). 

This 1994 Peacock Blue Pedulla Pentabuzz comes with the original branded hard case, which is well-used but in good working order. The bass also comes with the Pedulla truss rod tool, though aside from having the bass set up a year ago, I haven't needed to use it. 

The bass comes with the proprietary Bartolini electronics, namely a P/J pickup set and active preamp (controls for balance, volume and active tone control). The bass is 34" scale, with the original gold hardware. The wings are solid flamed maple and the fretboard is ebony, coated with the proprietary Pedulla Polyester treatment. It looks like glass and gives a distinctive tone. I'm not sure on the weight, and despite it's relatively small proportions it isn't a lightweight instrument due to the maple body. The balance is excellent, testament to Michael Pedulla's excellent design. Edit: weight as per the listing when it sold through Bass Direct is 4.7kg.

The bass is in good condition though has obviously been a player rather than a case queen. This is reflected in the price. Before I had the bass, the previous owner had it cleaned and set up. The notably thin Pedulla clearcoat had worn in a few places on the body and neck, these were sealed over and feel as smooth as satin. There are a few small minor dings, and the control knobs are a little worn and slightly stiff (I never touch them, but I expect anyone with a desire to do so could take them off with an Allen key and lubricate inside, if not replacing outright). 

The bass plays very well with a low action, and I have adjusted the pickup height to balance the volume. When I bought the bass, the bridge pickup was notably quieter than the neck pickup, though since I never use the neck pickup when playing this was a quirk that I didn't address for some time. 

I can ship in the UK and Europe at the buyer's cost and with adequate insurance. I will entertain any trade offer as I don't have anything particular in mind other than a thought that I would find more use for a fretted bass than a fretless. I do have a particular fondness for anything with a bit of graphite in it, but other than that I am open to ideas. 

A few pictures (including some from when it was sold at Bass Direct before I got hold of it). 

SqsqWxf.jpg

DklnahU.jpg

GvTuNM4.jpg

CJLeNCz.jpg

AB6mpIC.jpg

vshJAEj.jpg

cljp3mX.jpg

hQjChyx.jpg

7eWO9rJ.jpg

ielNg0F.jpg

Hrd5nsE.jpg

jKc2JyM.jpg

Edited by Chris2112
  • Like 6

It once belonged to a Marcin Pendowksi who posted a few videos of it on YouTube, and a TB'er named Lukasj who lived in Birmingham. I was able to find a bit of history on it online, including that it had been sold through Bass Direct and also turned up in Google Images:

YLbGucP.jpg

I bought from Luca Visigalli, a pro Italian bass player who recorded some bass tracks one of last studio album of “Mina”.. (Mina, Piccolino, 2011) maybe the greatest Italian female singer of all time.

Edited by foya
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, foya said:

I bought from Luca Visigalli, a pro Italian bass player who recorded some bass tracks one of last studio album of “Mina”.. (Mina, Piccolino, 2011) maybe the greatest Italian female singer of all time.

Phew, she’d have to be a good singer looking like that 😱

I think I have replied to all the PM's I've had. Give me a nudge if you're waiting to hear back from me!

Here is a video of a previous owner putting the bass through it's paces. 

The below photo illustrates the area where the finish had worn through. You may note the figuring on the wood, as this is merely a part that had worn though over time, exposing the wood below. This was refinished prior to me getting the bass, as the worn parts have been sanded smooth and sealed with a satin finish, such that they are practically imperceptible to the touch. Although this bass has clearly been all over Europe and well played and recorded with it, it remains in great shape and plays and sounds fantastic. I also think the pricing for reflects the fact it has a bit of mojo, which I benefited from when I bought it, making a considerable saving over what a box-fresh Pentabuzz would have cost. 

MuZxRoI.jpg

• Like 3

I have seen a couple of interesting pieces on reverb so whilst I will entertain trade offers, a straight sale would be preferred. Also, my preference would be for collection from Northumberland, about ten miles from Newcastle Upon Tyne. That way, the buyer can try the bass through my amp (or bring their own). I would also be willing to deliver within a 75 mile radius of Wylam, Northumberland, but over that distance it would probably make more sense to post with the proper insurance. 

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

This is now on hold pending sale. Once the packaging materials arrive, it will be boxed up to go. I will update further once this is all sorted, thanks for looking. 

My mrs and our savings account thank you :)

• Haha 1

This is back up for sale as the previous buyer could not complete. It is almost all packed and ready to go,  and I would invite trade offers but since I have my eye on a couple of things on Reverb a sale would be preferred. I will pay for the insured shipping within the UK at my asking price. 

I am going to withdraw this listing on the basis that I think I've made a terrible mistake. I recorded a short video yesterday night to show the function of the bass before I packed it. After wrapping it in about 30m of bubble wrap I listened to the video back and thought 'bloody hell, is that what that bass sounds like?'. Even the split coil, the pickup I so rarely use, sounded really great. If anything, I really need to make an effort to play this more and to make more room for a fretless in my day to day playing. 

On the basis I might never hold another Pentabuzz if I let this go, I will keep hold of it. Thank you to everyone who messaged me about it, I am sure my wife will be thrilled to see the work she put into helping me pack it was wasted 😂

• Like 4

I think that is a wise decision, especially given that Mike Pedulla is ceasing production. Stick with it and stop me looking at stuff of my own that I would need to sell (and then regret selling) in order to afford a Ped.

• Like 1