Why become a member? ×

Clarity of notes on the E String

Jezyorkshire

I probably only play up to the G# on the E string with the very occasional higher note, I’ve just been doing a chromatic exercise on all strings and noticed that the clarity/focus of the notes on the E string is less than the other strings which makes it difficult to find the centre of the pitch, around the middle of the neck and higher in particular it seems the notes are more of a thump than a pitch, is this normal or any one else experience this?

Mine works fine up and down the E-string.  Too much like hard work holding the big fat E down onto the Romberg bevel to make thumb position worth it, but I sometimes use the E string to play a B if I'm up there.

Check your bridge and sound post?  Bridge may have shifted.

NB:  probably rather bass dependent; mine is a big & rather "rustic" fully carved german one, currently strung with "un weich" Spiros.  I had a go on a French 3/4 flat backed one in Thwaites a bit back and that sounded much the same everywhere, which is probably why they wanted £20,000 for it.

Edited by NickA
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NickA said:

NB:  probably rather bass dependent; mine is a big & rather "rustic" fully carved german one, currently strung with "un weich" Spiros.  I had a go on a French 3/4 flat backed one in Thwaites a bit back and that sounded much the same everywhere, which is probably why they wanted £20,000 for it.

Aye, I’ve had to put lighter strings on while I built my strength up, it did have heavier ones on, I suspect it likes more tension on the top, I’ve got some 4/4 Spiro Mittels coming which should be ok as my string length is only about 41inch so shouldn’t be much more than 3/4 Weich tension wise