Why become a member? ×

Effects selling?

Left Foot

27 minutes ago, Left Foot said:

The effects for sale section seems really slow, have we all traded everything and no longer in the market or is it just too close to Christmas?

I think it ebbs and flows. Sometimes folk are after something specific, sometimes there's a flurry of bargains. I suppose there is lots of competition from Facebook Marketplace these days although that probably hits Ebay more than BC.

Also some folk go on extended buying sprees and end up with 20 distortion pedals *cough* then the day comes when they realise that actually one is enough and suddenly the market floods.

• Haha 6

So I guess your (or someone else’s) mass purchase distorts the market? I’m not phased by this, although the high numbers available could compress the price. Perhaps delaying selling or buying so many would have an effect. My theory is a bit loopy, and echoes previous comments however. 
Sorry

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/11/2019 at 17:54, stewblack said:

Also some folk go on extended buying sprees and end up with 20 distortion pedals *cough* then the day comes when they realise that actually one is enough and suddenly the market floods.

I would never do that! *cough*

Nope, never had more than 5 or 6 distortion pedals (if you include multifx) at any one time, so I'm obviously innocent of the charge too!

In fact the only person who has ever had like 20 dirt pedals in one go has gotta be @dannybuoy, so you must be meaning him!

5 hours ago, Left Foot said:

Interesting. There's also not the 'usual' posters on here from what I remember a few years back. Has BC changed a bit?

Who were you hoping were gonna show up to the party in place of this sorry rag-tag bunch? Sorry to be such a disappointment 😁

Yup the place has changed. There's this geezer called @Teebs...

I don't know many online fora nor real life meetings where the membership remains unchanged to be fair. 

Since I returned some regular posters have faded and some who were once mainstays barely pop in. On the other hand there are still many kind, thoughtful people here. 

Just stay away from the off topic threads. Nothing worse than discovering that lovely bloke who leant you a bass or sold you a pedal you'd been searching for is a nazi. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 17:54, stewblack said:

I would never do that! *cough*

I kind of just have, actually....though for guitar, not bass.

Stupid thing is that I have 3 pedals on my proper board for the "guitar solo" moments; one is a clean boost, +20db lift without extra gain; the second is a Fat Shuga pedal, which gives the level boost, a bit of distortion and built-in preset-able reverb, which I use to pick lead lines out of the mix; and the third is a proper full-on distorto lead machine.

However...I have 3 other overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals which were the aftermath of idle experimentation, just sitting there doing nowt. Except that for a recent gig at a small venue, I set up a separate, "simple" spare board to use, rather than my usual "Mission Control" board; and used one of those 3 for soloing...which sounded better than I have in ages, using just that one all night, especially in conjunction with some/a bit/a lot of delay.  I had previously tried that pedal on its own and found it wanting because of its apparently thin sound, so it never got as far as a band practice.  Chucked in at the deep end at a gig on a whim, it performed like a champion. Weird.

Moral of the story; throw nothing away. Fill your house with discarded stuff that might surprise you and actually come in useful one day. Or regret it once it's gone.

Wait....that wasn't meant to be the moral at all, was it? :S

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nope, never had more than 5 or 6 distortion pedals (if you include multifx) at any one time, so I'm obviously innocent of the charge too!

In fact the only person who has ever had like 20 dirt pedals in one go has gotta be @dannybuoy, so you must be meaning him!

Who were you hoping were gonna show up to the party in place of this sorry rag-tag bunch? Sorry to be such a disappointment 😁

Yup the place has changed. There's this geezer called @Teebs

...who has been remarkably quiet since last Sunday's footie results..... ;)

Idly wondering if my distortion pedal habit isn't a little out of control - especially given the nature of the bands I play for - and realised I'm actively trying to find a Big Muff Deluxe purely because Tony Levin said so.  I already have Joyo Sweet Baby, Ammoon American Sound, Caline Overdrive and MXR Bass Fuzz. I recently moved on my Mark Bass Distorsore. Reasonably modest number you say? But then if you add in the available distortion/overdrive and fuzz  on my three different Zoom pedals (probably a dozen or so on each plus the amp sims most of which can be driven via increased gain) then it begins to look like Overkill.

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Idly wondering if my distortion pedal habit isn't a little out of control - especially given the nature of the bands I play for - and realised I'm actively trying to find a Big Muff Deluxe purely because Tony Levin said so.  I already have Joyo Sweet Baby, Ammoon American Sound, Caline Overdrive and MXR Bass Fuzz. I recently moved on my Mark Bass Distorsore. Reasonably modest number you say? But then if you add in the available distortion/overdrive and fuzz  on my three different Zoom pedals (probably a dozen or so on each plus the amp sims most of which can be driven via increased gain) then it begins to look like Overkill.

I have a EHX double muff, partly because the name makes me smile and partly because the fuzz smacks you over the head. 

• Like 1