Why become a member? ×

Making a Bass IV/Rascal

Dosi Y'Anarchy

5 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Well I'm pretty sure the neck is on wonky and she's gonna be a mammoth when she's finally up and running. Look at the size of her compared to my Mustangs

Can't tell if the neck is wonky from that photo, but easiest way to tell is to use some string to check the outer string spacing from the edges of the neck. 

It'll definitely be a huge reach if that's a long scale neck on a Bass VI body - the Rebirth's have the bridge further back to the end strap button so as to reduce it. Hope it comes out well! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Thanks. That's a very good point. Hmm in wondering whether it's worth trying to place the neck further down on the body or just give up on the long scale neck. There was some talk on another thread of Chinese Coronado bass necks that should do the trick.

I 've got an Eden 30"  21 fret coming from USA. I'll let you know what I think to it when it arrives...

2 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Awesome. Is that the paddle head one? 

Yes - I've gone for the maple fretboard, undotted, paddle head.  Leaves the options open.

It's taken less than two days to get to Heathrow...I'm expecting it to take a lot longer to get here from Heathrow! ;)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So I finally pulled my finger out with this. 

I initially thought that I could get away without filling the hole where the vibrato formally sat by using a big enough bridge, however the bridge had two screws on the side which was fine but the remaining three screws had nowhere to go. So, I had to fill it. I cut some wood and glued it in and tried to fill the gaps with a mix of wood glue and sawdust, it was not a success. In future I'll actually use wood grain filler. 

I refinished it body in vintage white over the white primer. 

All in all, I did the job poorly but its a working bass and at a quick glance I think it looks pretty cool. I had no other plans for the parts and now I have a long scale bass which I'm tuning to BEAD to play/record with my baritone guitars. 

IMG_20200422_144727.jpg

IMG_20200426_095538.jpg

IMG_20200426_105000.jpg

• Like 2