Why become a member? ×

Fender Road Worn series, are they discontinued?

karlfer

4 hours ago, karlfer said:

Well that serious question soon went to ratshit 😆

Had a bit of info slight revamp & around £1400, presumably a NAMM release.

Makes sense of the pre-orders for March that I came across, at, yup, £1400

Wasn’t the outgoing sunburst version about £1200 anyhow? £1169 rings a bell.

edit £1200-£1350 when googled 

Edited by AndyTravis

42 minutes ago, Bassmingo said:

There's a roadworn P for sale locally new for €1395. It's sat there for at least 18 months that I know of. In my opinion that's about 395 too much. I won't buy one at new prices, but they never come up second hand. It's a pity cos they're on my GAS list. 

2 for sale in the classifieds (I would like to buy one but...................

Popped up on my newsfeed on FB last night, GAK Road Worn Sunburst discontinued.

Another site had Road Worn Sunburst, pre-order for March, £1400, with Pau Ferro board.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-road-worn-60s-jazz-bass-3-colour-sunburst-rosewood/19359?fbclid=IwAR3O2Fvmy8L5MeT1-iLZc81KAOxn0TNsHDfAjv18uYPO5WVyLiI4tJSgFAs

Edited by karlfer

4 hours ago, karlfer said:

Popped up on my newsfeed on FB last night, GAK Road Worn Sunburst discontinued.

Another site had Road Worn Sunburst, pre-order for March, £1400, with Pau Ferro board.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-road-worn-60s-jazz-bass-3-colour-sunburst-rosewood/19359?fbclid=IwAR3O2Fvmy8L5MeT1-iLZc81KAOxn0TNsHDfAjv18uYPO5WVyLiI4tJSgFAs

The CITES restrictions on importing/exporting rosewood instruments, will end at the end of this month. So there will no longer be a need for instrument makers to switch to Pau Ferro  fretboards any longer. It mucks up Fenders plans as, if they switch back to rosewood fretboards, they'll be left with thousands of instruments with Pau Ferro fretboards, that nobody will want (unless they seriously discount them).

1 hour ago, gjones said:

The CITES restrictions on importing/exporting rosewood instruments, will end at the end of this month. So there will no longer be a need for instrument makers to switch to Pau Ferro  fretboards any longer. It mucks up Fenders plans as, if they switch back to rosewood fretboards, they'll be left with thousands of instruments with Pau Ferro fretboards, that nobody will want (unless they seriously discount them).

Not sure about the Pau Ferro comment. A while ago I had a very "sample size insignificant" poll among people I know, talking about the whole rosewood/pau ferro thing...and there was only one person who seemed to want rosewood. All others (6-7?) didn't care. If it looked good, it was good. 

We have a lot of chat in forums about the importance of woods etc, but it seems that out there in the real world, most people don't really care,

24 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Not sure about the Pau Ferro comment. A while ago I had a very "sample size insignificant" poll among people I know, talking about the whole rosewood/pau ferro thing...and there was only one person who seemed to want rosewood. All others (6-7?) didn't care. If it looked good, it was good. 

We have a lot of chat in forums about the importance of woods etc, but it seems that out there in the real world, most people don't really care,

This.

worked in a shop for years, and the amount of emphasis put on this by spec sheet worriers 99.9% far outweighed their playing ability.

There was a guy who’d marked out the string spacing at the nut of a friends old hofner.

sure enough every Saturday he’d come and measure the spacing.

eventually after months of this round the houses...he found a Sheraton and proceeded to play the most disjointed rendition of house of the rising sun.

he didn’t buy it, the search continued.

There was also the fuss over Gibson using “laminated” fingerboards and “richlite” which was fawned and fussed over by the tyre kickers.

”ive got an epiphone which is better than all of these...” ok mate, no stress 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2