Why become a member? ×

NBD: OMG, it's pink!

grayn

My oh my - it looked fab with the original pickguard - and I did think it would be improved with a Tort replacement....
And it really does look even better than I'd have thought. When I first saw a pic of this model, I wasn't sure about the dark wood neck and headstock
But the colour of the body, and especially with that new pickguard, it looks stunning :)

I's so envious! lol

Finally got to play my new shell pink Jazz with my band, last night.

After a few comments like, "getting in touch with your feminine side?", it was generally agreed that the bass not only looked cool but sounded great too.  I was really happy with the easy playability and even more happy with the bass's tone, in the band mix.  Lots of body, penetration and that lovely growl, I was hoping for.

Well chuffed.🤠

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 22:45, stewblack said:

Beautiful absolutely beautiful. Obviously needs a tort plate as they are always the best with any and every finish. 

Except of course when they're not, which is absolutely all time. Tort is boak. [/debate]

Lovely bass btw, esp the neck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I played one of these today and fell in love. So much so that I bought it.

I’ve got to say the guys in PMT really are good nowadays. I had a long chat, no pressure to buy and the fella could do enough for me

Personally I think a tort guard on it would completely ruin the look, but appreciate I may be in the minority!

• Like 1

My name's Neil, and ... I am ... a pink guitar owner.

There, I've said it.

The first time it wasn't my fault. My brother made me accept a metallic pink Hohner Strat.

Fortunately it got swiped before I could play it on stage, and I had to get a black Squier Tele as a replacement.

This time, it was just lack of willpower. Flea bass, but it is  faded and a lot of the paint seems to have come off...

9 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I played one of these today and fell in love. So much so that I bought it.

I’ve got to say the guys in PMT really are good nowadays. I had a long chat, no pressure to buy and the fella could do enough for me

Personally I think a tort guard on it would completely ruin the look, but appreciate I may be in the minority!

Congrats on a fine purchase.

The guys in PMT Leeds are pretty good.

Whilst I was waiting for the tort guard, I got to quite like the original, mint guard.

It would be no fun if we all liked the same thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grayn said:

Congrats on a fine purchase.

The guys in PMT Leeds are pretty good.

Whilst I was waiting for the tort guard, I got to quite like the original, mint guard.

It would be no fun if we all liked the same thing.

Of course!

These modern Fenders are absolutely beautifully made. Not like some of the nonsense they were building years ago. As someone who only bought and played vintage basses (and was undoubtedly a huge snob about the whole thing) I’m convinced today’s Fenders are some of the best guitars they’ve ever built. (And I’m not just saying that because I bought one!)

55 minutes ago, grandad said:

I think the tort pick-guard carries the dark colour of the neck through to the body and contrasts against the pink  and chrome to make a very individual looking bass.

Visually it balances the look of the headstock, which risks looking heavy and over-sized without a dark mass on the body.

Thinking about it, my Jag which has a candy apple red body but a black headstock and scratchplate possibly looks right for the same reason.

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Of course!

These modern Fenders are absolutely beautifully made. Not like some of the nonsense they were building years ago. As someone who only bought and played vintage basses (and was undoubtedly a huge snob about the whole thing) I’m convinced today’s Fenders are some of the best guitars they’ve ever built. (And I’m not just saying that because I bought one!)

Definitely agree.  I think they've really improved, just over the last 3 years.

And this particular model (Little Pinky) really stands out, IMO.

I think the whole range has been improved, including the Mex Fenders,, which now feel on a par with precious US models. Perhaps they’ve upped their game through competition, but it’s great to see old names still creating great production instruments.

In terms of neck feel, it’s very much a vintage profile. The whole instrument feels a lot like the 60s reissues, but the modern components and fantastic clarity from the modern single coil pickups really make it stand out. The high profile narrow frets are  a lovely touch. I’m used to thicker vintage frets but these seem to me to be a welcome upgrade. 

I’ve swapped to D’Addario chromes and they give a beautiful thump. 

At the moment, I find the finish a little too shiny, but I’m sure a few gigs, sessions and all that will tone it down I’m sure. 

The problem with the pink is that you’ve really got to have some chops nailed to pull off the look. Back to the woodshed for me it seems...!

Oh and the kids and wife love it too. Basically, it’s a winner.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I think the whole range has been improved, including the Mex Fenders,, which now feel on a par with precious US models. Perhaps they’ve upped their game through competition, but it’s great to see old names still creating great production instruments.

In terms of neck feel, it’s very much a vintage profile. The whole instrument feels a lot like the 60s reissues, but the modern components and fantastic clarity from the modern single coil pickups really make it stand out. The high profile narrow frets are  a lovely touch. I’m used to thicker vintage frets but these seem to me to be a welcome upgrade. 

I’ve swapped to D’Addario chromes and they give a beautiful thump. 

At the moment, I find the finish a little too shiny, but I’m sure a few gigs, sessions and all that will tone it down I’m sure. 

The problem with the pink is that you’ve really got to have some chops nailed to pull off the look. Back to the woodshed for me it seems...!

Oh and the kids and wife love it too. Basically, it’s a winner.

Good idea to keep the family on board.

The pink word is spreading🐷.

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Thread resurrection here, I’ve seen a few of these lately whilst looking for an American pro , did anyone get one, if so what are they like 

Yes they’re wonderful basses. Mine is still my favourite bass out of a collection of over 10. It looks cool and sounds amazing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Yes they’re wonderful basses. Mine is still my favourite bass out of a collection of over 10. It looks cool and sounds amazing. 

Thanks for that Burns bass, I was  looking for another white/tort US pro jazz, I stupidly sold mine a while ago, and your shell pink one came up , I’d forgotten how nice that neck is , can I ask, do the pickups sound vintage or are they brighter 🙂