Why become a member? ×

Another new pedal coming from Tech21

dave_bass5

22 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

, but lost the bypass switch

If i was spending this sort of money to get this sort of tone, id never want bypass it 😉

Ive never used the bypass switch in any of my outboard pre amps. I guess its like any preamp built in to an amp, its just on all the time.

• 2 months later...

Don’t worry about those tones on YT what Tim does - it’s way more tweakable.

This pedal is the nuts, even some of the guitar amps work nicely.

The pedal nails the SVT and you can tinker to your own style

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Don’t worry about those tones on YT what Tim does - it’s way more tweakable.

This pedal is the nuts, even some of the guitar amps work nicely.

The pedal nails the SVT and you can tinker to your own style

Cool. I’m in no doubt that even if i used the same tones as Tim I’d never sound like him. Need to hear some cleaner tone videos before my interest  is raised. So far ive not heard anything i probably couldn’t get with the gear i have, although i love the form factor of this. 

10 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cool. I’m in no doubt that even if i used the same tones as Tim I’d never sound like him. Need to hear some cleaner tone videos before my interest  is raised. So far ive not heard anything i probably couldn’t get with the gear i have, although i love the form factor of this. 

You are probably right about your stuff, but as you say it’s the form factor is the killer on this, it’s amazing.

Easiset thing is you can set up multiple patches for basses/sounds and flip straight to it.

If you play guitar as well, you are laughing.

• Like 1

Ok, this is really pushing me in the right direction now.

Am i right in thinking the pedal doesn’t have amp sims as such, and that the presets In the manual are just EQ variations to simulate the named rig?

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Am i right in thinking the pedal doesn’t have amp sims as such, and that the presets In the manual are just EQ variations to simulate the named rig?

@Wolverinebass is much more adept at using this than I, but broadly speaking.......

when you select a ‘sound’ the parameters which the dials represent are set to give you a specific tone. When you turn the dial and you start dialling back the parameter the left number flashes, if you boost that parameter the right number flashes. The controls are interactive in how they effect the sound.

Easiest thing to do is to copy the patch into an empty slot and then play, you then never lose the factory preset (it’s absurdly easy to copy and paste the patch). That way you can tinker till you get exactly what you want.

Buzz affects low end break up, punch mid range and crunch top end, although they all interact and punch can be a bit more like presence and not just distortion. Drive increases the amount of power amp distortion.

Essentially, even if the start point is not to your flavour there is more than enough to reign it in.

The presets in the manual are not - “here is where the dials are at” it is “this is what this number patch represents SVT/Jazz/Metal/Hiwatt/Van Hallen etc. Now make it your own”

@dave_bass5 I am going to just say it once, just get it....!  (But only if you want to put time into tinkering)

Its like a good relationship, the more time you put in, the more you get out of it

• Like 2

Cheers guys.

I’m finding it hard to have any GAS while in lockdown. With no band or gigs in the immediate future ive sort of lost interest in gear as such. Once things start to get back to normal this is top of the list of things to try. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

On 27/03/2020 at 14:54, dave_bass5 said:

The pedal is an analog amp emulator. It is an actual circuit that mimics a real tube amp's behavior. This is not the same as a modeler that uses algorithms. Basically there is one very flexible circuit that has an all analog signal path and uses a microprocessor to store the presets. The presets are a good place to start but once you understand the pedal it's easy enough to tweak. Personally I always have it set in "Performance Mode" and dial in my sounds and save to those 3 slots.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

The pedal is an analog amp emulator. It is an actual circuit that mimics a real tube amp's behavior. This is not the same as a modeler that uses algorithms. Basically there is one very flexible circuit that has an all analog signal path and uses a microprocessor to store the presets. The presets are a good place to start but once you understand the pedal it's easy enough to tweak. Personally I always have it set in "Performance Mode" and dial in my sounds and save to those 3 slots.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense. I’d use it the same way. 

• 9 months later...
On 30/03/2020 at 17:14, Jack said:

That’s a great track. Love the ups and downs, thanks to Basschat for introducing another band to check out. 

This pedal is now top of my GAS list.  Can see constant use in the home recording ideas for the band and in rehearsal and live. Lots of fun to be had with the variety of sounds too. Best feature for me is the analogue user interface....much prefer this to having to deep dive into digital menus. Any long term users able to update on how they are finding it now?