Why become a member? ×

Another new pedal coming from Tech21

dave_bass5

There was simply no room to add the XLR in the size format of the PSA 2.0 and it was also not needed. The concept for the pedal is for it to integrate on your pedalboard with all the effects you are already using. You can run pedals in front of the unit and time domain effects after it. It's best to have the DI come after your pedalboard if you need to go direct.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RedVee said:

I was going to purchase the Steve Harris pedal but thank God I delayed it as the PSA looks like it is the better purchase overall.

Depends on your needs I guess. The SH1 is a lot cheaper, has a blend, tuner and DI going for it, which would make me lean towards picking that from the two!

53 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Depends on your needs I guess. The SH1 is a lot cheaper, has a blend, tuner and DI going for it, which would make me lean towards picking that from the two!

Yeah I think you are right there!......But personally if it is based on the Rack mountable PSA-1 then I want some of it. The Steve Harris pedal going off reviews seems to be an excellent choice, but I just think the PSA 2.0 has bit more going for it. Combine that with ability to sound like John Entwistle in his latter years seals it for me!

17 hours ago, RedVee said:

Yeah I think you are right there!......But personally if it is based on the Rack mountable PSA-1 then I want some of it. The Steve Harris pedal going off reviews seems to be an excellent choice, but I just think the PSA 2.0 has bit more going for it. Combine that with ability to sound like John Entwistle in his latter years seals it for me!

Trust me. If you want to sound like late 90s Entwistle you'll need a lot more gear than this. A Digitech 2120 would be a start for the quad chorusing. By 2000 he'd moved to using an Ashdown RPM-1 and didn't use the PSA again. 

All of this is before you even get to using a Status Graphite Buzzard.

Personally, I think the PSA kills as you can get virtually anything out of it regardless of your tonal preference.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Trust me. If you want to sound like late 90s Entwistle you'll need a lot more gear than this. A Digitech 2120 would be a start for the quad chorusing. By 2000 he'd moved to using an Ashdown RPM-1 and didn't use the PSA again. 

All of this is before you even get to using a Status Graphite Buzzard.

Personally, I think the PSA kills as you can get virtually anything out of it regardless of your tonal preference.

Actually the Entwistle tone I prefer is his Tommy era tone of a P Bass through a Hiwatt which I get with a Tech21 Leeds pedal, but you are correct in regards to his latter tone. I will buying one not because Entwistle used to use one but because it looks like it is going to be more versatile than the YYZ and the SH-1 both of which I did consider purchasing. But more importantly if it is close sounding to the PSA-1 which I tried some five years ago then that will be the reason for my purchase.

• Like 3

On 22/11/2019 at 16:54, RedVee said:

I think he is quite a good Bassist too who most people in the know would take in what his opinion would be.

Well i did say that in jest, but I will add that IMO being a good player doesn't necessarily make you any expert on gear. You only have to look at the Rig rundowns on YT to see a lot of top players are not always in to gear, not even the stuff they earn a living with. Not saying JE wasn't in to gear, but i dont think the two always go hand in hand. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

On 13/11/2019 at 17:28, dannybuoy said:

Certainly more pedalboard friendly than the original. Although you could always put velcro on top of one of these and use it instead of a Pedaltrain:

Tech 21 PSA-1.1

i used to badly want one of those but my student finances didn't allow it...

22 hours ago, RedVee said:

£500.00 is way over the top, it looks like a great pedal, probably  better than the YYZ and the SH-1.but I aint forking out that much for it.

128 presets dude. People pay £375 for a Darkglass pedal that does dirty or clean. Let that sink in. A 128 channel preamp.

It's not new technology, but it makes other things that claim to be "versatile" look like they should have a sign showing where the coal goes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

128 presets dude. People pay £375 for a Darkglass pedal that does dirty or clean. Let that sink in. A 128 channel preamp.

It's not new technology, but it makes other things that claim to be "versatile" look like they should have a sign showing where the coal goes.

I think I would forget the individual presets after the first four unless I write them all down, so in my opinion having that many preset options doesn't sell it for me. One of my current favourite Basses didn't cost much more than this pedal which for me puts it all into perspective.

14 minutes ago, RedVee said:

I think I would forget the individual presets after the first four unless I write them all down, so in my opinion having that many preset options doesn't sell it for me. One of my current favourite Basses didn't cost much more than this pedal which for me puts it all into perspective.

Beauty is you can store 3 for easy recall, and then only have to remember the 1 more, so it’s actually saving you headspace 

28 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Source Audio can manage to cram 128 presets into their pedals that sell for around the £150 mark. Tech21 have a programmable Bass Driver that's under £200. Those extra presets do not justify the cost.

The Darkglass Ultras are already pushing the limits of what people will pay for a pedal, but at least they have clean blend, headphone out, aux in, DI out, and an IR loader.

I hope they sell well, and for anyone that's a massive fan of the PSA-1 but wants it in pedal form no matter the price, they will be over the moon. As for me:

af9853e711654c613a774d1bfeeaa01b45549c37

Edited by dannybuoy

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

Source Audio can manage to cram 128 presets into their pedals that sell for around the £150 mark. Tech21 have a programmable Bass Driver that's under £200.

The Darkglass Ultras are already pushing the limits of what people will pay for a pedal, but at least they have clean blend, headphone out, aux in, DI out, and an IR loader.

I hope they sell well, and for anyone that's a massive fan of the PSA-1 but wants it in pedal form no matter the price, they will be over the moon. As for me:

Most of those SA presets are chaff

Again the DG does not do that vast array of sounds, so for that price, yes it needs it.

The PSA is a wonderful studio piece of kit which can now be taken more easily on the road, that takes some tech and knowledge to bring that package, so it will cost, and it’s not too unreasonable bearing everything in mind, especially if you are a multi instrument musician.

Who needs 128 presets? If you do then why not get a Stomp or Helix HX FX for a lot less and get a lot more. 

I have a feeling Tech 21 are seeing that people will pay more and are trying it on. Still, like the SH-1, it could be a RRP, and street price could be lower. 

8 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Source Audio can manage to cram 128 presets into their pedals that sell for around the £150 mark. Tech21 have a programmable Bass Driver that's under £200. Those extra presets do not justify the cost.

I can't say I liked the source audio stuff much. Especially distortions. 

Everyone is different in terms of what they want. I want to press one button and my whole rig changes via midi. Apart from DI out and possibly headphones, I wouldn't need or care about clean blend, aux in or IR loader. 

I found the programmable Bass driver didn't recall stuff quite correctly.

It's what you want personally that matters. It's a great bit of kit as I have the Rack PSA 1.1. At £450 (Andertons) it's not cheap, but nothing great is.

Whether or not you think it's worth it is a personal choice.

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Who needs 128 presets? If you do then why not get a Stomp or Helix HX FX for a lot less and get a lot more. 

I have a feeling Tech 21 are seeing that people will pay more and are trying it on. Still, like the SH-1, it could be a RRP, and street price could be lower. 

Well, clearly you don't and that's fair enough. However. Imagine you're in multiple bands using different basses (never mind effects) for each. This is the flexible front end.

Yeah, some folk will get this. Others won't. Some will be put off by price or not.

I hasten to say, I've got an HX Stomp.

It's Rocky Road taking the price up if they are. Tech21 have went on here previously to state they have little control over final territory pricing. So, at least they're not distributed by Westside a la Mesa Boogie where the price gouging markup is so much that your eyeballs have been pushed out through your ears.

I'm not a fan of the Source Audio drives either, I was just illustrating that MIDI presets, or digital control of analog circuits doesn't justify the astronomical price. They could have sold this for £300, or pushed it at £400. £500 is just taking the Fosters.

8 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I'm not a fan of the Source Audio drives either, I was just illustrating that MIDI presets, or digital control of analog circuits doesn't justify the astronomical price. They could have sold this for £300, or pushed it at £400. £500 is just taking the Fosters.

£450 at Andertons. I must admit I paid £500 for the rack which has stereo fx loop and DI outs. That was 2010 though.

Yeah, I think that had it been a bit less that would have been better. I take your point of course. It's not cheap.

Pricing aside, 128 presets vs 1 is meaningless unless you're happy with the overall tone. Nothing against SA, but that is an apples to oranges comparison. Those units are all digital whereas the PSA 2.0 is an all analog signal path. It's an entirely different technology. It's the same reason a modeler can claim to give you the sound of 100 different tube amps and dozens of effects for a fraction of the cost of the actual units. Whether it sounds "better" or just "close enough" is ultimately in the ear of the beholder. It's the better, cheaper more convenient argument. Pick two. 😉

• Like 1

The SA comparison wasn't meant to be be an apples-to-apples one (Tech21 easily wins in the tone dept IMHO), just showing that MIDI presets can be done cheaply. I get that digital control of analog circuits is altogether different. But that's something that was pulled off with the programmable BDDI  that I can get for £181, and the extra preset count and MIDI port don't add up to make it worth the price overall - to me, I hasten to add!

• 2 weeks later...