Why become a member? ×

Another new pedal coming from Tech21

dave_bass5

We haven't really had any issues with control knobs being broken on the FlyRigs and dUg pedal etc. People have reported losing the knobs sometimes.

The new PSA 2.0 is a pretty cool pedal, of course I'm a bit biased. I've messed with a proto here and at home and want to experiment with the midi aspect of the pedal when I get a chance.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

Wouldn't have done much good. Entwistle was broke post 1999. He's the reason I got mine actually.

I do completely rate him, if I'm being honest. He's one of my all time hero bass players. Clearly could have done with a decent accountant, though from what you've just said! How the hell do you go bust with all the royalties of being an ex WHO band member?! 

43 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I do completely rate him, if I'm being honest. He's one of my all time hero bass players. Clearly could have done with a decent accountant, though from what you've just said! How the hell do you go bust with all the royalties of being an ex WHO band member?! 

Saw an interview with Pete Townsend who said one of the Who reunion tours was organised purely to bail Entwhistle out. Lots of very expensive habits, not great with money.

On 13/11/2019 at 22:23, Jus Lukin said:

I've not seen any of the flyrig types in real life yet, but the photos do make the knobs look very fragile. Knowing quite a few Sansamp bits, I assume my eyes decieve me! They're usually good quality gear.

It makes sense that the PSA1.1 continues in the line, and as Prymax already have one up at $399, it should be cheaper to get hold of than the original.

I think I must be way off trend at the moment though; while everything, even some power amps, is shifting to a more floor based form, I like rack gear! I went out of my way to get hold of an RPM and VT Rack, and would be interested in a rack GT2, Q Strip, and some of the other now discontinued character pedals. Presumably there isn't much demand for that kind of thing these days!

Not at all flimsy, I’ve gigged guitar fly rigs extensively and they are super bits of kit, solid etc. And sound great to the point that I sold all my amps.

1 minute ago, nottswarwick said:

Update - the stomp only has jack outputs and no separate xlr. I want this separate output. SansAmp bddi of vt bass DI will be perfect for the job I feel, and half the price. The helix units are of course excellent but the stomp at least doesn’t fit my needs 

True, but the PSA 2.0 not having XLRs at that price is kind of my point, I think it's quite over the odds compared to other Sansamps (which as you mention are much cheaper) or other preamps that cost >£400 that have way more features and sounds.

The Stomp doesn't strictly have XLRs, but it has two balanced TRS outs which are as good as.

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

True, but the PSA 2.0 not having XLRs at that price is kind of my point, I think it's quite over the odds compared to other Sansamps (which as you mention are much cheaper) or other preamps that cost >£400 that have way more features and sounds.

The Stomp doesn't strictly have XLRs, but it has two balanced TRS outs which are as good as.

True, and to be fair I could always use my radial Jdi at the end of the chain.

After all these years when all is said and done I now favour simplicity. The stomp was great, but I don’t need that level of features.  In the last I’d have bought one just for the sake of it, but these days I just need what works for me. So, when my combo sells I will get either a VT bass DI (maybe the one for sale here), or. BDDI (which I’ve owned in the past and loved) or maybe a bass fly rig, simply as there is a basic compressor in there too.

All these have xlr and jack outs, so makes things super simple.

9 minutes ago, Jack said:

By the same token conceding that the stomp has a balanced out, the PSA has a universal out that can go straight to a desk although you have to be mindful of the gain stage at the desk on its output - just as the Stomp is expensive but good - the PSA has 50 amp presets that are standard,  cloned them 50 times to save as per your tweaks and then left a load of blank spaces to save your own presets of these combinations (if I have it right) with easy switching and easy recall for 3 commonly used presets in something the size of a pencil case.

Thats pretty impressive engineering 

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

By the same token conceding that the stomp has a balanced out, the PSA has a universal out that can go straight to a desk although you have to be mindful of the gain stage at the desk on its output - just as the Stomp is expensive but good - the PSA has 50 amp presets that are standard,  cloned them 50 times to save as per your tweaks and then left a load of blank spaces to save your own presets of these combinations (if I have it right) with easy switching and easy recall for 3 commonly used presets in something the size of a pencil case.

Thats pretty impressive engineering 

Indeed. I didn't mean to besmirch the PSA2 at all. Hell, I still really want one! And the Stomp isn't the be all and end all for every bass player that some people claim it to be. But it's undeniable that Stomp's been a bit of a paradigm shift really, and it's pretty hard to best in terms of it's features:size:price ratios.

My point was simply that a bass player with £400-£450 who wants a versatile pedal preamp will likely look at both units. In that case, the Stomp can probably do a pretty decent impression of all the sounds the Sansamp can do, with a lot more besides (if you want the other sounds I suppose), they're about the same size, trade blows pretty evenly on I/O, presets, control, switches, etc. It's basically much of a muchness, but the Stomp has a tuner and loads of effects on top. Even if you really don't want ANY of the effects or other amp models then you look at it as a PSA with a free tuner. I'm of course assuming that the Stomp can cop a decent imitation of most of the sounds that the PSA can do, maybe it can't.

Anyway, enough of this. I still really want a PSA (as I don't have a Stomp, I have a Helix rack and I still use a portable board helmed by a Paradriver) and I think I'm derailing what was a very good thread. I just wish it was £300-£350 rather than £425 as that would better represent it sitting somewhere between £200 pedal preamps (like the BDDI or MXR M80) and £500 pedal modellers/multifx (like the Stomp or the Vped) which is where it belongs IMHO.

• Like 2

@Jack nah I get you on all that and never thought you were dissing the PSA (I have no vested interest!) and I don’t think it’s derailing the thread at all - just expanding a discussion on nuances of both.

Its a difficult price point I agree and it may come down after the initial rush, as you say the stomp may do it well enough as well as other things, but the fly rig format really is brilliant in size and construction, it’s splitting hairs on excellent products.

Dont get me started on possibly spending more and getting a Fractal FM3.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jack said:

Well, now we've fallen out. I hadn't seen that before. 🤑

I cannot promise to make it up to you!

Honestly it will be the nuts I think - it’s very expensive, but I think sits itself deliberately as not a competitor to the stomp. 
If you look at it plus an FC6 controller (if you need that many buttons) it’s actually not far in price from a full fat Helix or Kemper floor unit and it comes loaded with the Axe FX3 software like the rackmount - with waaaaaaaaaaaay more blocks to play with.