Why become a member? ×

3D Printed Bass with Aluminum Backbone

GisserD

NEW BODY SHAPE!

image.thumb.png.b0563cc29519547ce42a9a12834c4c37.png

the idea was to give more access to the upper frets and make the lower horn more synpathetic to the shape of the upper horn which i like.

(old one for comparison in lilac)

image.thumb.png.e32eaf3076577ec102c9b470b9cf7a0f.png

image.thumb.png.8a185e23d2d2cae5fc93c40a93b6686e.png

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 2

some developments today in the moving pickup design...

2x Multi start screw with thumb wheel at each end to move pickup shuttle. 1 revolituon wil be 8mm travel.

im considering moving the entire mechanism to be actuated from the back of the bass for better acces, however it then opens up the opsibility of it moving unintentionally.

image.thumb.png.4c1fd91352b2bbc1ae21e835b2f88133.png

image.thumb.png.e1289fa065dc5a1a9a9895ed5b97a005.png

• Like 2

Bearing? 

There are no loads involved so I think bearings are unnecessary.

The shuttle actuates through a T slot in the front body panel. To stop it falling out but even that isn't strictly necessary.

What isn't shown in those pics is a housing on the back of the shuttle that will encapsulate the nut that runs on the screw.

• Like 1

Got home. Had a glass of wine and upon reflection, I now think this pickup actuation design is overengineered.

There is a far simpler solution. And it takes up less space. And it's cheaper. No vibrations,  allows more movement. And quicker to move the pickup. 

A simple recessed thumb screw through the body, securing the shuttle from the back. 

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, GisserD said:

There are no loads involved so I think bearings are unnecessary.

Then what finish will be on the surface that the shuttle slides upon?

I'm just thinking that a single screw thread might allow the shuttle to bind with some finishes if it is even slightly out of alignment with its guide channel.  Twin screw threads would help but they would also ruin a simple and effective idea because they'd have to be connected so as to turn in unison. 

Could some sort of cam lever arrangement be used for locking the sliding pickup? Two rails could still be used to stop any twisting motion making the pickup snag when sliding, but only one need have the cam lock. Lift the lever to release, slide the PU and push the lever down to lock. Similar sort of thing to quick release bike spindles. 

• Like 1