Why become a member? ×

Cog Effects T-65 Bass Octaver advice!

Frellin' Smesh

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice.

I've just seen a Cog Effects T-65 Bass Octave for sale on Ebay UK for £100.

These NEVER come up for sale, so I'm wondering if it's worth buying, or if there are better options I should consider?

I'm really just looking for a thick octave sound (with no clean signal blended in) for a fat synthy sound.

Does ANYBODY have any experience with this Cog T-65 pedal and can vouch for the pure octave sound tracking, and if it sounds decent in a live situation?

I really can't test/demo the pedal as it is not widely available, and most youtube videos just seem to focus on The T-16 version (they always focus every demo on blended octave mixed with clean sounds).

Any advice, please?

Thanks... 😉

6 hours ago, Frellin' Smesh said:

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice.

I've just seen a Cog Effects T-65 Bass Octave for sale on Ebay UK for £100.

These NEVER come up for sale, so I'm wondering if it's worth buying, or if there are better options I should consider?

I'm really just looking for a thick octave sound (with no clean signal blended in) for a fat synthy sound.

Does ANYBODY have any experience with this Cog T-65 pedal and can vouch for the pure octave sound tracking, and if it sounds decent in a live situation?

I really can't test/demo the pedal as it is not widely available, and most youtube videos just seem to focus on The T-16 version (they always focus every demo on blended octave mixed with clean sounds).

Any advice, please?

Thanks... 😉

I had the T65 for ages,as well as the T70 an absolutely awesome octave. With the filter it can go from very aggressive and synthy to absolute 90s dub sounds. The thing I loved about it was the dirty octave up, it adds a lot of presence in the mix, I do feel that this octave is much better at the clean signal off synth tone,than it is at clean octave tones (the T16 works better for that)

Check which version it is,as the old ones had the loop with a Y cable but whatever effects you had in the loop could not be used when the T65 was off. The newer version has a footswitch to turn the loop on/off. If you use the loop you will have to turn the loop volume down as well as the clean as it adds it's own clean signal.

On the whole I found it dirty and synthy, with the filter full CCW  and the octave up boosted, it's like a brassmaster fuzz.

I recently traded my T70 to get a Future Impact but I do miss that sound. I bought an Aguilar octamiser as it's the only octave that does clean and synthy very well. The T65 filter goes further at both ends than the Aguilar, I had no tracking issues with the T65 however like most,it doesn't like going too low.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, lee650 said:

I had the T65 for ages,as well as the T70 an absolutely awesome octave. With the filter it can go from very aggressive and synthy to absolute 90s dub sounds. The thing I loved about it was the dirty octave up, it adds a lot of presence in the mix, I do feel that this octave is much better at the clean signal off synth tone,than it is at clean octave tones (the T16 works better for that)

Check which version it is,as the old ones had the loop with a Y cable but whatever effects you had in the loop could not be used when the T65 was off. The newer version has a footswitch to turn the loop on/off. If you use the loop you will have to turn the loop volume down as well as the clean as it adds it's own clean signal.

On the whole I found it dirty and synthy, with the filter full CCW  and the octave up boosted, it's like a brassmaster fuzz.

I recently traded my T70 to get a Future Impact but I do miss that sound. I bought an Aguilar octamiser as it's the only octave that does clean and synthy very well. The T65 filter goes further at both ends than the Aguilar, I had no tracking issues with the T65 however like most,it doesn't like going too low.

@lee650Thank you very much for the concise information!

I took too long to decide, so I've missed the 'buy it now' price, and will have to bid  -  but I really don't want to pay more than £100 for this pedal!

Cheers 😉

The one issue that @GisserD and I both encountered with a T65 pedal which I sold to him a couple of years back, was the fact you can't get a completely clean octave i.e. there's always a slight bleed from the dirty octave-up which can't be dialled down to nil; which maybe ties in with Lee's comment about the T16 being better at clean tones. Tom at COG confirmed this was not a fault in the unit but a "design feature" (or flaw depending on your perspective!)

I posted a detailed write up of the issues somewhere(!) in the Octave multi-thread:

COG T65 & T16.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The one issue that @GisserD and I both encountered with a T65 pedal which I sold to him a couple of years back, was the fact you can't get a completely clean octave i.e. there's always a slight bleed from the dirty octave-up which can't be dialled down to nil; which maybe ties in with Lee's comment about the T16 being better at clean tones. Tom at COG confirmed this was not a fault in the unit but a "design feature" (or flaw depending on your perspective!)

I posted a detailed write up of the issues somewhere(!) in the Octave multi-thread:

Thanks @Al Krow for this info - it's VERY useful!

I'm curious if the "bleed" from the 'octave up' tone also happens on the Ver.2 of The T-65?

Raw Ocatve tones usually need a little dirt 'up top' to cut through anyway, so I'm hoping it doesn't affect the "synthy-ness" I'm looking for...

Thanks.....

33 minutes ago, Frellin' Smesh said:

I'm curious if the "bleed" from the 'octave up' tone also happens on the Ver.2 of The T-65?

Raw Ocatve tones usually need a little dirt 'up top' to cut through anyway, so I'm hoping it doesn't affect the "synthy-ness" I'm looking for...

Thanks.....

I'm pretty sure mine was the v2 of the T65 ie not requiring the Y cable for the loop. 

On 12/11/2019 at 17:09, Frellin' Smesh said:

Thanks.....

Even dialled out, the octave up is still slightly there. I found the T16/MXR BOD/EBS octabass  and Aguilar octamizer  better for very smooth clean octave tones.

I would really say the T65 is more of a synth engine (especially  with fuzz and filter in it's loop! Try a Mooer sweeper woth it's fuzz on 😁) and for synthy applications the octave up really helps, so you won't want to turn it off. At one point I was running a T65 for dirty octave up synth and Aguilar for clean octave and a Valeton OC10 (very good OC2 clone) for clean off subby octave. I replaced these with a T70 which was awesome but I found I couldn't replicate my smooth deep octave for certain things. 

If this doesn't happen for you, I would suggest an Aguilar Octamiser, for a "one size fits all" octave tone 😁

• Like 1

Cog stuff is excellent. Well worth the money IMO. My T47 is a solid staple for 90% of gigs from pubs to arenas. Very simple and inspiring, and Tom the mastermind behind them is a total dude. 

I'm based NW. If you're ever up this way you're more than welcome to come try the T47

• Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 01:16, CalDeep said:

Cog stuff is excellent. Well worth the money IMO. My T47 is a solid staple for 90% of gigs from pubs to arenas. Very simple and inspiring, and Tom the mastermind behind them is a total dude. 

I'm based NW. If you're ever up this way you're more than welcome to come try the T47

Cheers!

I see Cog Effects T-65 has been re-listed on ebay today but, now I don't have the money to buy it, after just purchasing Line 6 HX EFFECTS!