Why become a member? ×

Talk me out of a Barefaced Big Baby 2

adamg67

5 minutes ago, chris_b said:

For all the 112 players who can't hear their cabs, angle them up. You don't need a wedge shaped cab, just improvise.

Problem ive found with doing this (same goes for my F112) is when its pointing at your head, you're more inclined to lower the volume, which effects the overall mix out front if you want using a PA.

I don't angle my cabs, because I don't have a problem hearing them when they are on the floor. I guess I'm lucky, everyone I play with gets a good balance so I'm not playing with 1/2 stack wielding, guitar playing, "I need to play this loud to get my sound", idiots.

If I was playing with guys like that, and being drowned out, I'd be using 2 cabs, which I do anyway, not for volume, but because I prefer the sound/tone of 2 cabs. 

I also find the bass is accentuated by the ear plugs I use. The top end is reduced which leaves the bass forward in the mix.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Problem ive found with doing this (same goes for my F112) is when its pointing at your head, you're more inclined to lower the volume, which effects the overall mix out front if you want using a PA.

Unless the engineer takes a feed out of the DI socket on the amp (assuming of course that you have an engineer and PA reinforcement).  I don't believe loud stage volumes are helpful in any case.  I actually left one band because the drummer was too loud.  When he lowered the volume we played so much tighter but he just couldn't keep the beast chained up for long.

31 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Unless the engineer takes a feed out of the DI socket on the amp (assuming of course that you have an engineer and PA reinforcement).  I don't believe loud stage volumes are helpful in any case.  I actually left one band because the drummer was too loud.  When he lowered the volume we played so much tighter but he just couldn't keep the beast chained up for long.

My point was if your backline is supplying out front sound as well. 99.9% of my gigs over the last 15 years have been like this.

It depends on the room size - I angle my cab (when I'm using the small cab) in small spaces: your cab on the floor is all good if you've several feet between you and it, if it's right behind you (and the drummer's very close, too) then it can be very hard to hear...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, la bam said:

I strugged with the super compact. The claims on the website that it's as loud as a good 4x10 are absolute bobbins.

The website actually makes a different point, "similar to what a high quality 2x12" or 4x10" cab can manage before the lows fail to keep up with the mids". 

Hmmm...I've just checked and Alex does claim that the BF SC is for:  "Those wanting a cab which can match their 2x12" or 4x10" for output"

Must admit I'd not paid any particular attention to the sales pitch before @la bamjust pointed it out to us; but I have to agree it's a bit of stretch to think that my BF SC could realistically go head to head with a quality 410.

However in Alex's defence, I've never found the BF SC lacking in output to date with any of my bands; if anything I get asked on occasion to turn my bass vol down by my bandmates! 

Who is this for?

Anyone frustrated with the ability of their 1x15", 1x12" or 2x10" cab to produce big lows without struggling (regardless of price). Bassists who prefer more mellow tones to brighter tweetered sounds. Those wanting a cab which can match their 2x12" or 4x10" for output but keen to downsize substantially. Players who want to hear their true natural midrange tone with clean balanced lows and smooth warm highs.

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hmmm...I've just checked and Alex does claim that the BF SC is for:  "Those wanting a cab which can match their 2x12" or 4x10" for output"

Must admit I'd not paid any particular attention to the sales pitch before @la bamjust pointed it out to us; but I have to agree it's a bit of stretch to think that my BF SC could realistically go head to head with a quality 410.

One of the lines i fell for when i got my BB2 was....

"Anyone using a good 2x12" or 4x10" but wanting deeper cleaner lows and more accurate mids and treble without any loss of loudness."

I lost the last two points.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What have you since moved onto rig wise?

These days I'm usually Ampless (Helix & in-ears or floor wedge).

If I do need backline I've got a TC RH750 and a Barefaced Two10.  The Barefaced 12in cabs are very 'honest', and as it turned out I realised I prefer some colour from the cabs so I went with the two10.  Great cab.

13 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The website actually makes a different point, "similar to what a high quality 2x12" or 4x10" cab can manage before the lows fail to keep up with the mids". 

You see, I read that as - before the lows fail to keep up with the mids on the 4x10 - stating the sc is much superior.

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hmmm...I've just checked and Alex does claim ...... Those wanting a cab which can match their 2x12" or 4x10" for output but keen to downsize substantially. Players who want to hear their true natural midrange tone with clean balanced lows and smooth warm highs.

Yep, I'm sure they can justify it scientifically, but no way, no way on a larger stage is it anywhere near a good 4x10 in volume, sound or presence.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, la bam said:

You see, I read that as - before the lows fail to keep up with the mids on the 4x10 - stating the sc is much superior.

Yep, I'm sure they can justify it scientifically, but no way, no way on a larger stage is it anywhere near a good 4x10 in volume, sound or presence.

Or even in a rehearsal room. Not saying my BB2 didn't do the job though, just not as i was lead to believe.

There's probably a reason why a lot of BF owners buy two :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Or even in a rehearsal room. Not saying my BB2 didn't do the job though, just not as i was lead to believe.

There's probably a reason why a lot of BF owners buy two :ph34r:

...and the Barefaced 2x12 and 4x10 exist.

Edited by la bam
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Muzz said:

* Tho there's a pic in the Show Us Your Rig thread of a twin SC stack which is twitching my cab GAS for the first time in yonks...

I know this isn't relevant to the OP as top end is important to him BUT I stack two SC3s (in landscape format for optimum bottom end) and the sounds with my Subway 800+ and Eden WT550 are to die for, especially on the classic rock covers gigs I mainly do.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure this topic is now about other things, but in case it helps: I'm not buying a bass cab. I'm buying a cab that I think will do a good job of reproducing the bass cab sims in my multiamp (and the guitar amp n cab sims from my iRig, but that's a nice to have). When I get it, I'll do a shoot out of the multiamp and BB2 vs the multiamp DI'd though my studio monitors as they are the closest thing to what I want live or in rehearsal. Yes I know it won't keep up with the studio monitors.

I specifically don't want it to sound like a 4x10 bas cab.

Carry on... :)

• Like 2

Also, if the BB2 isn't what I expect, I bet someone on BC (typed BS first go there, must be my subconscious :) ) will be daft enough to lend me an F112 in case it is noticeably better (for my specific purpose), and if the BB2 loses Barefaced will take it back - which is a very good reason to try the BF first.

3 hours ago, adamg67 said:

Also, if the BB2 isn't what I expect, I bet someone on BC (typed BS first go there, must be my subconscious :) ) will be daft enough to lend me an F112 in case it is noticeably better (for my specific purpose),

I'm daft enough.  But you'll have to collect it.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

My point was if your backline is supplying out front sound as well. 99.9% of my gigs over the last 15 years have been like this.

Yep I got that and when I was gigging, all of my gigs had PA support and an engineer so horses for courses I guess.  In any case, the F112 can be stacked on its end if the wedge function isn't needed for some gigs.

15 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

I know this isn't relevant to the OP as top end is important to him BUT I stack two SC3s (in landscape format for optimum bottom end) and the sounds with my Subway 800+ and Eden WT550 are to die for, especially on the classic rock covers gigs I mainly do.

Yup wot @scrumpymike said ! 100% Agree