Why become a member? ×

Talk me out of a Barefaced Big Baby 2

adamg67

My to do post-it for tomorrow includes "Ring Barefaced", because I've just about talked myself into needing a Big Baby 2 to replace my Markbass Traveler 151p.

There are a few reasons for this (apart from just GAS). My head is a Markbass Multiamp, so amp models and cab sims, and for gigs or recording I use the DI from that, so the presets I use all have the cab sim turned on. That means that for practicing, jamming etc with just the amp I basically have a cab sim and then a bass cab. I've got the treble on the cab up full to help neutralise that a bit but I've realised a bit late that something more FRFR might be better. Also, when I'm at home I sometimes use the amp head via DI for messing about and recording (mostly I just use the Markbass plugin) and sometimes I'll just play the thing, and again it's not the same sound - and that's usually when I play with the presets and set the thing up.

I'd also like to be able to jam on guitar, I can run my iRig into the Multiamp with it just set up as a power amp and it actually sounds pretty good with the 1x15, but again it's 100% modelling so a bass amp isn't going to give the best sound.

Seems to me that for a completely model based setup, but with an emphasis on the bass sounding excellent, I'm going to have a hard time beating a Big Baby 2.

Edited by adamg67

8 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

The other one I'd consider is a Fearless F112.  More expensive and a longer build time; but it can be used as a wedge, and has a lot of customization options.
http://trickyaudio.com/wp/gallery/#page-content

Yeah the Fearless F112 is a great option and from my research of folk who have had both, the Fearless has edged it sonically, with an additional mid driver & speaker, plus having the very useful wedge feature John mentioned. 

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/comparing-f112-bb2.1245612/

The BB2 wins on build time and also weight. 

I thought the BB2 was the more expensive of the two, but let me double check. [EDIT: they're actually pretty comparable on price - the more expensive silver cloth BB2 is £20 more expensive than the most expensive spec'd F112].

Both great brands.

The other cabs that get a lot of love, for good reason, with similar or greater power handling to the BB2 are the Vanderkley 210s. 

As a former Markbass cab owner who now has a BF SC, you're not going to be disappointed if you get a BB2. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, adamg67 said:

My to do post-it for tomorrow includes "Ring Barefaced", because I've just about talked myself into needing a Big Baby 2 to replace my Markbass Traveler 151p.

There are a few reasons for this (apart from just GAS). My head is a Markbass Multiamp, so amp models and cab sims, and for gigs or recording I use the DI from that, so the presets I use all have the cab sim turned on. That means that for practicing, jamming etc with just the amp I basically have a cab sim and then a bass cab. I've got the treble on the cab up full to help neutralise that a bit but I've realised a bit late that something more FRFR might be better. Also, when I'm at home I sometimes use the amp head via DI for messing about and recording (mostly I just use the Markbass plugin) and sometimes I'll just play the thing, and again it's not the same sound - and that's usually when I play with the presets and set the thing up.

I'd also like to be able to jam on guitar, I can run my iRig into the Multiamp with it just set up as a power amp and it actually sounds pretty good with the 1x15, but again it's 100% modelling so a bass amp isn't going to give the best sound.

Seems to me that for a completely model based setup, but with an emphasis on the bass sounding excellent, I'm going to have a hard time beating a Big Baby 2.

Ive played through all the barefaced kit extensively (i know a guy who makes them) and the BB2 is my favourite by a long shot. I get to compareit to ampeg, eden and GK cabs occasionally and it always blows then out the water. except maybe the eden which weighs more than my car.

14 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

@jrixn1 and @Al Krow, I will definitely check out the fearless F112.

@JohnDaBass I'm not sure if the Super Compact is full range? I thought it was more specifically a bass speaker but I'll check.

The SC caps out at 4kHz.  Which tends to limits top end 'zing' if you're looking to slap. As a bass cab it's a lovely piece of kit.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The SC caps out at 4kHz.  Which tends to limits top end 'zing' if you're looking to slap. As a bass cab it's a lovely piece of kit.

Yeah, so not ideal as a guitar modelling rig - not my main thing but the BB2 would do it no probs.

12 hours ago, adamg67 said:

I've just about talked myself into needing a Big Baby 2 to replace my Markbass Traveler 151p.

That's like replacing a Ford Focus Estate with a Mercedes Benz GLS SUV.

Go for it you'll be amazed at the step up in sound quality.

And that's not taking anything away from Markbass or Fords.

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I thought the BB2 was the more expensive of the two, but let me double check. [EDIT: they're actually pretty comparable on price - the more expensive silver cloth BB2 is £20 more expensive than the most expensive spec'd F112].

Looking here: http://trickyaudio.com/wp/enclosures/#page-content the Fearless F112 is £900 base price (which is probably what I'd get).

Looking here: https://barefacedaudio.com/products/big-baby the BB2 is £779.

So the F112 is maybe (based on one comparison on TB) slightly better and I like the wedge angle (bad pun intended).

BB2 is slightly lighter, cheaper and has the try for a month and send it back if you don't like it thing. Quicker build, but that's not a huge factor.

Damn, now I'm further away from a decision instead of nearer!

8 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

@adamg67 before committing to the purchase of a BF BB2 ponder on the flexibility two BF Super Compacts may offer. I know it's more expensive but having a modular solution may offer some benefits. 

And now I've been through the Barefaced site, I can see that the Super Midget is probably what you mean, and it's a chunk lighter than a BB2... that might actually be the front runner now, as it's a smidge cheaper as well.

2 hours ago, adamg67 said:

And now I've been through the Barefaced site, I can see that the Super Midget is probably what you mean, and it's a chunk lighter than a BB2... that might actually be the front runner now, as it's a smidge cheaper as well.

I have a BB2 and a Super Midget.  Both are excellent cabs.  The BB2 has a naturally deeper low end and is my favourite between the two cabs.   The Super Midget can take EQ easily though if you want to add more low end and it seems to be as loud as a BB2 if that matters to you.

I often gig with the Super Midget alone.  It's amazingly capable for such a lightweight and small cab.  You can't really go wrong.

Frank.

Probably worth mentioning that I'm expecting jams, rehearsals and maybe a few small gigs in the near future, and not needing anything beyond that until the back end of next year (and when it gets to that I'm likely to go through the PA and just use the cab as a monitor) - that's what's leaning me towards a super midget now I know it has the high end to do everything I need. If I get to needing something more I can add another midget or compact as suggested by @JohnDaBass

Edited by adamg67

Well, you have failed (or refused) - I have not been talked out of a BB2 and have just ordered one.

Why the BB2 not the F112? Well, in my head they were quite evenly matched but in the end I think Barefaced's reputation and the 1 month return deal swung it. Based on everything everyone's said (including Alex at Barefaced, and yes I know he's trying to sell me one :) ) the BB2 is just perfect for what I will be doing.

I did consider a Super Midget but the BB2 is the better cab unless you really care about the slightly smaller size and weight of the SM.

Cheers all for the good advices.

• Like 2

Had a BB2, didnt get on with it, now have a Fearless F112 and love it. It sounds better to my ears, plus the ability to use in tilt back mode. F112 is a lot heavier though but that's a not a downside IMO, just a preference. 

I must admit though, if it wasn't for a very generous member on here i would have another BB2. I was saved at the 11th hour lol. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 07:54, jrixn1 said:

The other one I'd consider is a Fearless F112.  More expensive and a longer build time; but it can be used as a wedge, and has a lot of customization options.
http://trickyaudio.com/wp/gallery/#page-content

I was in the same situation a few years back and went with a couple of F112.  I have been really impressed by them.  In a BC gear shoot out a few years back my cab was up against a BB2 and (to my ears at least) had more detail in the high end and a flatter response - just like a PA cab.  Other BCers seem impressed by it too but I thought the F112 perhaps didn't get the full recognition it deserved by the crowd towards the end of the shoot out.  We all like different things I guess.

I chose the F112 because of the stiff construction and it came in a wedge format which meant I could hear myself more easily on small stages.  The bulk of air wasn't being shifted past my knees like in conventional set ups.  It's a great cab, I know of nothing on the market which is better at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I chose the F112 because of the stiff construction and it came in a wedge format which meant I could hear myself more easily on small stages.  The bulk of air wasn't being shifted past my knees like in conventional set ups.  It's a great cab, I know of nothing on the market which is better at the moment.

Wow, that is high praise indeed! And as a very contented BF SC owner, I'm in complete agreement that the Fearless F112 is the finest 112 cab I've had the privilege of owning and playing through.

I've had a BB2 and several other BF cabs, as well as a good range of other boutiquey stuff like Bergs, etc. Not used (or even heard) a F112. I played an RAF hangar with a single BB2 once, with no PA support, and it was bonkers how much it put out for the size. The only downsides were that I don't get on with horns (I have a ST/Compact modular/stack arrangement now*) and the very small size of the BB2 onstage meant there was a lot going past my knees, so I can see where the F112's wedge would be useful. There's plenty of good small cab wedge stands out there, though, so I'm sure the OP will be all good.

* Tho there's a pic in the Show Us Your Rig thread of a twin SC stack which is twitching my cab GAS for the first time in yonks...

Edited by Muzz

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

... the very small size of the BB2 onstage meant there was a lot going past my knees, so I can see where the F112's wedge would be useful. There's plenty of good small cab wedge stands out there, though, so I'm sure the OP will be all good.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, plus anything with a PA I can put the bass through a monitor (which also includes anything extra they're doing to my sound - always interesting, though I try and remember that they're doing it for the room first and me second).