Why become a member? ×

Lightweight bass with chunkier neck and decent tone

41Hz

Any suggestions, my shoulder has been giving me a bit of grief recently.

My pbass is about 8.8lbs and the jazz 8.5lbs, so not exactly heavy. I used to have an Ibanez SR1400 which was a lovely bass and nice and light but found the neck a bit narrow, also the D and G string were a bit thin sounding and I wondered if this was down to it being so light.

so ideally something in the 7-7.5lb range, but with a pbass size neck that doesn’t sacrifice tone for weight. Any ideas?

Edited by 41Hz

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest a  chambered Maruszczyk. I've owned a Jazz Maru in the past (albeit not a chambered one), the build quality was exceptional and the tone from the stock pickups was fantastic. I had a Sire at the same time and the tone was night and day. 

I'm also a massive Sandberg fan, so have a look at the Superlight series. Not sure if they do a P version though. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

That looks lovely, are they chambered as standard, or did you get it modified?

It's a selectable option for an up-charge. I also spec'd Hipshot Ultralites to counter any possible hint of neck-dive, of which there is none.

Have a tinker with the customiser: https://public-peace.de/configurator/jake-c/

Be warned, once you get going, it's hard to walk away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Why not fit out your P bass with Hipshot Ultralites, an aluminium neck plate and aluminium knobs? 

I did this to an already light P bass and got it down to well under 8lbs. No change in tone or neck dive. 

Wish I'd kept it actually! 

I hadn’t considered that, I don’t suppose how much you shaved off with this mods?

2 hours ago, 41Hz said:

I hadn’t considered that, I don’t suppose how much you shaved off with this mods?

Kind of. The Ultralites took half a pound off exactly, Which felt like more due to the weight coming off at the headstock. Levers and fulcrums etc... 

Not sure what the knobs and neckplate took off but considering the stock ones were chrome plated brass, going aluminium certainly helped! 

It was much easier to play and therefore got used a lot more after those upgrades. 

Cheaper than buying a new bass and going through that whole crap shoot. 

You clearly need to try a Stingray Special, especially in HH form. Light, powerful and fabulous tone. You can get them in the traditional brownish hues but also some quite spectacular colours. This is one of mine. 

I don't know how they do it, but the combination of neck radius and profile, and the finish give these basses the best playing neck I've ever encountered. So much better than other makes with this type of neck width. 

image.thumb.jpeg.58ebcb4fdabcc4ec3fabe1aebc796565.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1