Why become a member? ×

is Trickfish my no-man's-land?

Ander87

@TheGreek & @Al Krow thanks for this, definitely one to keep an eye on!

Ideally I'd like to have just one cab for monitoring purposes on stage and for smaller, more intimate gigs (think Sofar Sounds).

Our music is quite bass oriented so I don't have anyone else but the drummer (she hits!) challenging me volume wise.

What cab would you choose? The Eich runs 500w @ 4ohm and 300w @ 8 ohm. I was thinking on a GRBass 2x8 cab @ 4 ohm to make the most of the head or alternatively one of the Eich heads @ 8 Ohm, 110xs or 112xs - still have to look at those Shroeder also...!

On 12/11/2019 at 11:23, Ander87 said:

Right team - I'll be getting a One10 - considering its only 7kg and can take about 600w it's a no brainer. 

Now who can help me with the head? I tried aguilar a bit ago and decided it's a no, GK was too spanky trebbly for me... I loved the Eich T500 so could go for the 900 and have it running at 600w @ 4ohm on the One10... 

... As mentioned definitely interested in the Bergantino Forté as well, especially considering I'm ditching all pedals - the compressor included could be helpful to keep things in line when slapping? 

I did have a TecAmp (same as Eich) but I sold it.

Found to was too clean and I like clean for my current gig.

So now I have a Darkglass M900 and a Markbass Marcus Limited (Gold & Red).

Very different, but both work well. The Darkglass does a very good clean too - and the V2 models have a compressor built in. But it's a lot more money than the Markbass.

The TecAmp just sounded dull and lacking with that cab.

On 10/11/2019 at 13:13, Lozz196 said:

I`ve found that when I`ve heard Markbass amps through Barefaced cabs that they pair very well, so as Markbass were on the list may be worth looking into. Imo it`s always worth having a cab that can hold its own for a small venue where there`s no FOH and pretty much any Barefaced will be able to do that as at that point you only need to match the drummers volume anyway, no need for stacks in those size venues.

+1 ^^

Markbass head plus any of BF / VK / Berg cabs would all be great IMO. 

I personally would go for one of the more recent MB heads as they have fixed the EQ gaps present on their previous LM2 and 3 ranges. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

+1 ^^

Markbass head plus any of BF / VK / Berg cabs would all be great IMO. 

I personally would go for one of the more recent MB heads as they have fixed the EQ gaps present on their previous LM2 and 3 ranges. 

The Marcus models certainly do that.

I've hardly touched my DG since I got the Marcus.

So...! Interesting (really interesting update). 

I ended up buying the Eich T-900, yes, for 3£ more than the T-500. BRAND NEW. 

How? You may ask? I got lucky and found the last one in stock from The House Of Bass for 799€ (the T-500 was 749€). With the conversion that's 693£ for a brand new T-900. A believer would say 'God is good'. 

Further, I started looking around for cabs and came across DB Bass cabs. Remember from my first post I wasn't too keen on doughing out for a cab...? 

They've got a clearance going, I got the Elbee 210 which is a 2x10 (one of them angled for monitoring) and can do 600w at 8 ohm (blissful match for the T-900. This lovely cab has cost me 340 with original cover included, rrp 599.

The best? The weight of 12kg for a 2 speaker cabinet, same as the Eich 112xs.

This whole rig T900+DB Elbee 210 has been 130£ cheaper and brand new than the T500 with a single 110xs 👀... Double speakers same weight and double wattage on that setup. 

Gosh I'm on a roll, should play the lottery! I'll report back! 

Edited by Ander87

keen to hear how the elbee sounds - currently considering one of these against saving up a whole bunch more for a purple chili 210. only thing that puts me off is I would want to use it horizontally if stacked, and not sure how that would work with the angled baffle (I play upright bass so feedback can be an issue).

edit - couldn't risk missing the last one in the shop so picked one up at lunch time today! DB replied to say it would work fine horizontally stacked on a 15. It is TINY!!! How can it be a 600w 2x10!?!?

Edited by Chris1127
got one!
  • Like 1

Ah @Chris1127 & @Cuzzie...! I gotta admit I don't know what to expect with the DB cabinet!

I read good comments on it and can recognise a deal when I see one, 12kg for a 2x10 handling 600w sounds amazing, especially when one of the speakers is angled so I can hear myself as monitoring was too one of the priorities. 

Nonetheless, I've seen the frequencies are 50 to 5000hz I think, which I don't know if it'll marry well with the Eich which dials bass in 30hz and highs on 8khz... Hopefully I'm not missing on much to be fair....! I'm either missing a fundamental issue or I've still gone for the best cab considering my priorities of weight wattage and price. 

I clearly wanted to put the dough out for the head rather than cab (that taste knob in the T500 that I tried made me feel like I've a one-knob EQ!), as I'm plugging DI to PA in most cases, so I'm happy with the purchase anyway but frequency wise I guess I can only wait to play with it and report its behaviour...! 

Edited by Ander87

@Chris1127 you've literally bought the last one they had as David confirmed when I bought mine - how're you finding it?

So far, and connected to the Trickfish whilst I wait for the Eich head, I find it quite clear and defined...! I have to admit I'm surprised and happy by it.

I don't love the placement of the handle and will be making my own handle at the top one of these days.

Now onto more important bits, it does beep! I played with the Trickfish at about 3 o'clock volume and the whole place was shaking (yeah my neighbours bang doors all the time so I couldn't care less about them here and there). Very clear and with good string definition - especially the low B.

Not sure if it could benefit from better lo-mids but that may be just me as it is something the Trickfish rig had in buckets and may just be me getting used to a box that's half the size and weight of the Trickfish. Also I've only plugged it twice to noodle with it a bit.

The projection for monitoring is great, I was thinking whether it'd be a gimmick but I have noticed a difference.

The Eich head should be arriving this Tuesday I think, I can't wait!

• Like 1

that all sounds pretty awesome! I have to admit i haven't yet had the chance to plug it in and crank it up, it's sat on top of the purple chili 15 i bought on here the week before waiting for me to get a chance to try it. I'll probably try it with a bugera svt clone first off just so i can have a play with the graphic and see how it sounds!

Glad i went in to get it now, a friend bought one off reverb after I'd been in to Project Music to get that one - the 1210 looked interesting too but it didn't have the feet to stack horizontally that the 210 has. It will be interesting to see how the angled driver works that way up. And yeah that handle will have to go for something a bit more substantial i think - not sure why it is mounted diagonally. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Trickfish 1k and it didn't work out, in all honesty there was definitely something not quite right about it, it went back and the 'fix' made it worse.

Anyways I now have an EA iAmp Classic which is an absolute tone monster and as loud as bombs. Worth a try if you are still searching....

1 hour ago, 51m0n said:

I had a Trickfish 1k and it didn't work out, in all honesty there was definitely something not quite right about it, it went back and the 'fix' made it worse.

Anyways I now have an EA iAmp Classic which is an absolute tone monster and as loud as bombs. Worth a try if you are still searching....

Funny to read this now, because I warned you at the time that TrickFish was pure typical American marketing bullsh*t and nothing else, but you didn't believe me...

Euphonic Audio are really terrific amps (and cabinets too), but sadly close to the unknown status over here, maybe because they are not into that typical marketing approach of their (same) country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Funny to read this now, because I warned you at the time that TrickFish was pure typical American marketing bullsh*t and nothing else, but you didn't believe me...

Euphonic Audio are really terrific amps (and cabinets too), but sadly close to the unknown status over here, maybe because they are not into that typical marketing approach of their (same) country.

Well its an interesting thing, they are definitely very tasty preamps, but the rest of thee signal chain does not quite live up to expectations IME. What can you say, I was suckered by the lovely preamp, I am a fool :D

Having said that the EA was not available when I was originally looking, and it has a more full featured preamp that sounds every bit as sweet IMO, and a fricking huge power amp that certainly makes the Trickfish 1k tremble at its SPL capability. And the nicest input level meter I have ever seen on a bass amp (got to love the flashing lights mate)

• Thanks 1

A downside to EA is that they haven't got any rack ears for their amp - something I am getting very irritated by.

I don't want to jury rig some dodgy shelf solution, get me the damn rack ears you swines!

Their after sales have strung me along for months over this now. Not impressed at all!

Hm - I think the Trickfish is a correct amp - nonetheless and for the same price, the Eich is beating it every minute, IMO; the 5th string especially is so much more defined, and less boomy on the lo mids to my liking but that, I believe, is more due to the trickfish 2x10 cab from my own experience.

I'm the happiest fella with the Taste knob on the Eich, I love to do things as plug and play or just bass straight to amp and with this rig I do feel it is now possible, to the point of having ditched the compressor too...!

best,

Ander.

On 28/11/2019 at 07:31, 51m0n said:

Interesting - I knew it had come out but hadn’t heard anything much about that amp