Why become a member? ×

Talking Bass Basic Fundamentals

Newfoundfreedom

Has anyone bought the Basic Fundamentals course from Talking Bass? 

I've been playing for some time now, been in bands etc, but I've only ever really toyed with it, learned things from tabs or very occasionally by ear. Don't get me wrong, i can play, to an average level at least, my fingers move around make an approximation of something musical, but I'm massively lacking any kind of theory, and never really know where to start. I've spent hours on YouTube watching videos and lessons, but it's too much of a scatter gun approach. What I really need is something more structured. From what I've seen this course could be just the job. I've seen a few of Marks videos on YouTube and I really like his no nonsense, straight to business teaching approach. 

So has anyone done the course? Any opinions? 

Thanks

Not specifically that one but I did sign up for an online course. 

I think it's very much down to the individual and how you learn best. 

I struggled to apply myself to the online course but I got so much from face to face lessons. I just needed the immediate feedback and always came home from lessons inspired 

If however you are disciplined and self motivated and have found an online tutor you respond to then definitely go for it 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Not specifically that one but I did sign up for an online course. 

I think it's very much down to the individual and how you learn best. 

I struggled to apply myself to the online course but I got so much from face to face lessons. I just needed the immediate feedback and always came home from lessons inspired 

If however you are disciplined and self motivated and have found an online tutor you respond to then definitely go for it 

Thanks Stu.

I'm actually the polar opposite to you. I had a few one on one guitar lessons years ago and I hated it. I found I would just zone out then I didn't know what was going on and it was just really uncomfortable and awkward. I'd much rather learn online then if I get distracted, don't understand something, or forget something from a previous lesson, I can just go back and revisit it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Thanks Stu.

I'm actually the polar opposite to you. I had a few one on one guitar lessons years ago and I hated it. I found I would just zone out then I didn't know what was going on and it was just really uncomfortable and awkward. I'd much rather learn online then if I get distracted, don't understand something, or forget something from a previous lesson, I can just go back and revisit it. 

I wouldn't take instrument lessons. I'd take theory lessons. Spend a lot on them and then you won't "zone out" because you'll be thinking "This is costing me an arm and a leg. I'd better get my money's worth"". If you don't know what's going on, there's no shame in asking for clarification. That's the point of learning. No point in pretending to know something just to save face.

39 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I wouldn't take instrument lessons. I'd take theory lessons. Spend a lot on them and then you won't "zone out" because you'll be thinking "This is costing me an arm and a leg. I'd better get my money's worth"". If you don't know what's going on, there's no shame in asking for clarification. That's the point of learning. No point in pretending to know something just to save face.

It's not really possible to do one on one lessons anyway. First of all I couldn't afford to even if I wanted to, which I really don't. Playing bass is just a hobby and I have plenty of other things to do which means I wouldn't always have the time to study and practice between set lessons. Learning online is much more flexible. Then there's the problem of living in a remote rural area of a foreign country, with only a rudimentary understanding of the language. Even if I could, by some miracle find an English speaking music teacher here, the local style of music is so far from anything that resembles a melody to my ear, it's even worse than jazz. I'd rather learn a tune from an old dial up modem. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Haha 1

I practice, practice, practice for an hour a day when I'm at home.  15 minutes of scales, over and over and over, and 45 of playing along to songs that are taking my fancy.  Sometimes the same song many times if I'm keen to perfect it.

I do a bit on reading on theory.  Nothing heavy, magazine articles and internet tutorials, and it helps to be able to read music.  However, I try not to get too hung up on it - some of the most amazing guitar and bass players are breaking pretty much every rule in the musical book yet still make my spine tingle when I listen in.  Some of what is good/correct/right is also a bit subjective too.

I'm not trying to make a living off it so i'm treading the fine line between having a bit of fun and expanding my knowledge without it getting too onerous.  I'll stick to absorbing short tutorials here and there, stopping short and hiring a tutor or buying books on the subject.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Quick heads up if anyone else is interested. There's a black Friday sale on today with 30% of all courses. 

I've just bought the Basic Fundamentals course for £35 instead of the usual price of £50. 

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in now. 

Please let me know how you get on. 

• Like 1

Go to the lessons/study guide page on www.studybass.com and start where you deem appropriate.

You are right about Youtube videos being a scattergun approach. However, here is an exception. It starts VERY basic so again,  start where you see fit.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLImrzCNnL5PkSfa1gUpsGzSMELR31yW9h

Edited by Coilte
  • Thanks 1