Why become a member? ×

Kate Davis’ new album ‘Trophy’

hiram.k.hackenbacker

Some of you maybe already be aware of Kate, but her new album ‘Trophy’ came out the other day and I can’t stop playing it. 
For those that may not have picked up on her, she has a bit of a complicated musical backstory which I’m sure you can Google if you’re so inclined. She came to my notice through the Postmodern Jukebox with a cover of All About That Bass in which she sings and played double bass (check out the solo)....

Bizarrely, this enormously popular video sadly became her undoing for a while. She became contractually entangled with a label who wanted to market her as seen in that video and would not budge on anything else. She had so much else to offer and ultimately it was their loss.

Now free of any obligations, she has produced her first proper solo album and it’s a gem as far as I’m concerned. Here are a couple of tracks....

Kate and her band are over here in January. As fate would have it, she plays Islington, London on Jan 25th, the same day I’m in Islington watching The Aristocrats!

We will be travelling to Brighton the following day to see her there instead. 

• Like 2

Nice to see what she's up to these days. I saw her sit in with some friends quite a few years ago a few times in a local hotel bar, just before she moved to New York. Her parents were very cool and had their heads screwed on straight, but it seems that she still had to pay her dues and find her own way anyhow.

1 hour ago, Passinwind said:

Nice to see what she's up to these days. I saw her sit in with some friends quite a few years ago a few times in a local hotel bar, just before she moved to New York. Her parents were very cool and had their heads screwed on straight, but it seems that she still had to pay her dues and find her own way anyhow.

Her father died a little while ago. I think he would have been very proud of this new chapter of her life.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...