Why become a member? ×

Meshell Ndegeocello. Peace Beyond Passion.

bubinga5

Now I haven't listened to any Meshell for quite a long time. You might be aware I like her music from my avatar. I listened to it in the car today and Im still blown away how good it is. The lyrics, her incredible tight groove bass playing which is totally unique, you can tell its Meshell when she plays.. Everything about this album is just fantastic.. Good music stays with you and when you haven't heard it for a long time its even sweeter than the first time. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 5

One of my all time faves. I absolutely love the laid back groove on ‘make me wanna holler’ some of the bass fills towards the end of the track are just perfect. Also love the bit at the end of ‘faggot’ where it sounds like she starts to play over the rear pickup. 

• Like 1

I can get lost in that song. Played on her 60's jazz. "My mother used to whore herself" Its a great start.😆 But an insite into Meshell's childhood. Like you say her touch and funky nuances on the bass are just fantastic with the keys near the end... 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my favourites too. It’s now 20 years old but sounds like it could’ve just been recorded yesterday.

She’s the absolute master of slow groove bass playing. I seem to remember reading an interview where she stated that she deliberately practiced playing simple notes at snail’s pace to perfect her timing and feel. 

Bittersweet, The Way and Ecclesiastes: Free My Heart are regulars on my iPhone rotation.

I love her grooves but the lyrics make me cringe sometimes.  She's kind of moved on from this funky thing now anyway and has become more experimental.  I went to see her in Camden when she had the Spirit Music Sextet first going, it was quite a bit of this:

She sat back in the pocket and basically just lost herself while the rest of the band were looking at her intently for cues.  I also remember she started an hour late and her mood soured at around 12:15am as people were leaving while they were still playing.  I'm guessing no one told her that the last Northern Line train was around 12:30.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need to check this out. I became aware of her in the early 90s because she was regularly featured in Bass Player but never really followed it up. I was totally blown away by her voice on Rush Over a track on Tales by Marcus Miller. I need to give that a spin again when I get home from work. 

Thanks for posting